Photo ID now required at Admirals Clubs?

Old Feb 17, 2024, 4:42 am
  #76  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Morbihan, France
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 19,271
Correct me if I am wrong - but does one not have to show ID before going into Security? I am intrigued why they need or have decided to need this to be presented again. It seems rather bizzare.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:31 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: RDU
Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Posts: 2,690
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Correct me if I am wrong - but does one not have to show ID before going into Security? I am intrigued why they need or have decided to need this to be presented again. It seems rather bizzare.
What does having to show ID to TSA have to do with proving it's you entering the club and not someone else trying to use your membership?
ksucats, apeortdz, hhdl and 1 others like this.
fliesdelta is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:39 am
  #78  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Morbihan, France
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 19,271
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
What does having to show ID to TSA have to do with proving it's you entering the club and not someone else trying to use your membership?
I would have thought that the BP which you had to have to get airside and the photo ID that you have to produce to the TSA (which you infer is correct) being the same BP - are you implying that someone else can use your membership in the meantime by using your BP? I am intrigued - how could that be?
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:44 am
  #79  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Posts: 2,043
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I would have thought that the BP which you had to have to get airside and the photo ID that you have to produce to the TSA (which you infer is correct) being the same BP - are you implying that someone else can use your membership in the meantime by using your BP? I am intrigued - how could that be?
You can easily hand off your BP to someone else for entry. Multiple copies of BP's are allowed as well, so it wouldn't prevent you from then taking that BP to get on your flight. I think it's a good thing AA is cracking down on any entry abuse that may exist. I'd assume they are doing this because there has been abuse of the system.

Honestly, if taking out your ID is too much for someone to gain access to a club, I think it is that traveler's issue. I, for one, do appreciate any efforts AA (or any other airline) makes to ensure only the right people are in the club.
GNRMatt is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:46 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: RDU
Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Posts: 2,690
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I would have thought that the BP which you had to have to get airside and the photo ID that you have to produce to the TSA (which you infer is correct) being the same BP - are you implying that someone else can use your membership in the meantime by using your BP? I am intrigued - how could that be?
Are you trolling?

Anyway, in case you're asking the question in good faith: you give your BP to someone else who uses it to enter the club.
fliesdelta is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:47 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: AUS, LAX
Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Posts: 1,581
This may have been covered, but in my last trip, both me and my companion had to get OD checked. Its a mild annoyance and slows the process down.

However, on our return on Feb 9th, I fumbled for my ID, and the agent said, We have your picture so youre all good! She still requested my wifes though.

I asked why suddenly they dont need my ID after multiple asks, and she said, in only a way an airline employee could, Well, we got an email yesterday that said we dont need to check IDs if we have a photo, I just follow rules, we get random emails that tell us to change our job and we are just robots.

So sometime in early Feb they loosened the policy.
AAway and _kurt like this.
BrianV is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:54 am
  #82  
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: London, UK
Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Posts: 12,146
No for LAX, yes for PHL
Markie is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:03 am
  #83  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Morbihan, France
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 19,271
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
You can easily hand off your BP to someone else for entry. Multiple copies of BP's are allowed as well, so it wouldn't prevent you from then taking that BP to get on your flight. I think it's a good thing AA is cracking down on any entry abuse that may exist. I'd assume they are doing this because there has been abuse of the system.

Honestly, if taking out your ID is too much for someone to gain access to a club, I think it is that traveler's issue. I, for one, do appreciate any efforts AA (or any other airline) makes to ensure only the right people are in the club.
So by inference - you think that this has been going on? I would never have thought of anyone showing someone else's BP to get into a Lounge.Least there be any doubt - I have have no problem presenting my ID as and when required - what I was surprised at was that anyone needed to do so.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:08 am
  #84  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Morbihan, France
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 19,271
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Are you trolling?

Anyway, in case you're asking the question in good faith: you give your BP to someone else who uses it to enter the club.
If I wanted to play the Agente Provacatrice - I would be far more subtle. Trust me. I asked a genuine question as - naively - I was astounded that anyone would give a BP to anyone else airside. I had never heard of this phenomena before.
ExpatExp likes this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:14 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Are you trolling?

Anyway, in case you're asking the question in good faith: you give your BP to someone else who uses it to enter the club.
you can also easily screenshot your boarding pass in the app and send it to somebody with a text message. I wasnt asked for my boarding pass at all this week. They were able to see my photo and the computer system.
Given AA technical challenges, I wouldnt doubt that they lost the photos for a period of time.
steamboatdevil is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:18 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 7,103
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
If I wanted to play the Agente Provacatrice - I would be far more subtle. Trust me. I asked a genuine question as - naively - I was astounded that anyone would give a BP to anyone else airside. I had never heard of this phenomena before.
Well, in the case of paper boarding passes (rare for us anymore) after clearing security, my wife generally takes custody of my boarding pass as I'm not to be trusted with keeping track of it

That said, if we are entering a lounge based on my boarding pass it would be discretely handed back to me for entering, then again quickly swept back into my wife's custody.

With respect to this thread, and others that come up from time to time in this and other forums, I never understand all the mock, righteous indignation about being requested to present ID to enter something like a lounge. I just don't get the big deal. It really doesn't bother me at all. Of all the things to get frustrated about with travel these days, presenting photo ID to enter a lounge doesn't even rank in the top 100 of annoyances for me...

Regards
PUCCI GALORE, LovePrunes and hhdl like this.
scubadu is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:02 am
  #87  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Morbihan, France
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 19,271
Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, in the case of paper boarding passes (rare for us anymore) after clearing security, my wife generally takes custody of my boarding pass as I'm not to be trusted with keeping track of it
With respect to this thread, and others that come up from time to time in this and other forums, I never understand all the mock, righteous indignation about being requested to present ID to enter something like a lounge. I just don't get the big deal. It really doesn't bother me at all. Of all the things to get frustrated about with travel these days, presenting photo ID to enter a lounge doesn't even rank in the top 100 of annoyances for me...

Regards
You sound like my husband! I am so used to doing this in Europe that I really am not fussed. What I was and still am curious about is what has led up to this. Ive not, as yet, had an actual answer only suppositions, so I assume that nobody really knows.
ExpatExp likes this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 11:36 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: CMH, CLE, CAK
Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I think it's a good thing AA is cracking down on any entry abuse that may exist. I'd assume they are doing this because there has been abuse of the system.
That's my guess, too. Corporate probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble of updating the procedures for the agents and slowing things down unless they had a reason to. Regardless, I can see the reasoning behind it - require IDs for a month, maybe once or twice per year, and you probably catch a few cheats and also deter other cheats from even trying.

I'd love to see the data behind it, though.
Hoi polloi is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:42 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CLT
Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Posts: 826
Back to posting on actual experiences, last Monday no ID required for either the AC at CLT or FL @ DFW.
robertablake is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2024, 4:29 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas
Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Posts: 598
No ID in DFW B or D this last week. My photo is on file from the campaign several years ago and haven’t been asked for ID since.
AAway is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.