Photo ID now required at Admirals Clubs?

Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:34 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Posts: 1,168
How could people even game entry? By presenting a boarding pass that isn't theirs? So that means people were scanning multiple copies to get more than the allotted number of guests in?
If that's the only way, why not ask for ID for any second (or greater) visit at the same airport on the same day? Sure a few people can still slip by (e.g., the fraudsters enter first, then the true member enter second) but this seems like a worthwhile tradeoff than requiring thousands of complaint people to show their ID each day
lrdpenn is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:30 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas
Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Posts: 2,689
. . . . . . . , why not ask for ID for any second (or greater) visit at the same airport on the same day? . . . .
Funny you should mention that. They have started carding Mrs. Jayer most of the time when she is guesting in on me. Didn't used to happen. Ever.

Actually, the whole process has gotten much more identification heavy in the last two years. Most of the time now they want to see my physical card (which didn't used to happen at all--but I read last night that is now official protocol). More often than not followed by wanting to see my ID. Sometimes followed by the trick question to see if I can remember my AAdvantage number. Then usually ask to see or even scan her boarding pass. Sometimes see her ID.

We took about 30 airplane rides last year. I've never guested in anyone besides her or one of our adult children with the same last name. You would think they could see an activity pattern here.
jayer is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:10 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Posts: 1,168
Originally Posted by jayer
Actually, the whole process has gotten much more identification heavy in the last two years. Most of the time now they want to see my physical card (which didn't used to happen at all--but I read last night that is now official protocol). More often than not followed by wanting to see my ID. Sometimes followed by the trick question to see if I can remember my AAdvantage number. Then usually ask to see or even scan her boarding pass. Sometimes see her ID.

We took about 30 airplane rides last year. I've never guested in anyone besides her or one of our adult children with the same last name. You would think they could see an activity pattern here.
I have to say, it sure sounds like your account is flagged for something. I may have given my ID for a scan like 5 or so years ago, I can't even remember, but since then I have never been asked for anything beyond my boarding pass. Sometimes when I can't find (or access) my boarding pass on arrival they are happy to just take my AAdvantage number. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have guested someone.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
lrdpenn is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:33 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,342
recent visit to a hub club, was told ID check is the way it is going forward; they need to see your photo ID, not the pic they scanned from our license or took of us and put in the database.
lowfareair and S80 like this.
LovePrunes is online now  
Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:24 pm
  #50  
S80
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: ORD/LHR
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,337
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I have to say, it sure sounds like your account is flagged for something. I may have given my ID for a scan like 5 or so years ago, I can't even remember, but since then I have never been asked for anything beyond my boarding pass. Sometimes when I can't find (or access) my boarding pass on arrival they are happy to just take my AAdvantage number. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have guested someone.
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
recent visit to a hub club, was told ID check is the way it is going forward; they need to see your photo ID, not the pic they scanned from our license or took of us and put in the database.
I was told the same thing, regardless of having the ID scanned, they need to see it now, and the agent said that they would get in trouble for not asking.
LovePrunes likes this.
S80 is online now  
Old Feb 4, 2024, 11:52 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Posts: 592
With this, and a challenge question when calling into reservations, makes me wonder if this is reactive to something that occured, or corporate security pushing new controls either for "best-practice" or audit requirements.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Flyer78 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:05 pm
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 11,326
Another theory, AA IT ran out of storage space to store the images and is now resorting to manual checks.

Joking, but it wouldn't be that far a stretch to imagine based on their historical performance.
AAway, Flyer78, ZenFlyer and 2 others like this.
Antarius is online now  
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:34 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SoCal,
Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Posts: 772
Originally Posted by S80
I was told the same thing, regardless of having the ID scanned, they need to see it now, and the agent said that they would get in trouble for not asking.
Lol, just to make this thread even more inconsistent, SNA AC today, had my ID out and the AAngel said they didnt need it, my picture popped up when I scanned. Further, they didnt have the ID required sign up and said that theyd heard DFW and ORD were checking but they never got the memo. Then at the DFW FL, I use my physical BAEC card to access on domestic flights, and last week needed ID. Today, DL in hand with BA card and was never asked for it. BUT the two guys next to me were asked for theirs. Obviously AA D(oes)KWIA.or more likely, AA has done a horrible job on this policy roll out.
Tack is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:06 pm
  #54  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: NYC/LA
Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 7,552
At BOS today was told they might need my ID when I scanned my BP, but then my profile loaded and they said the old scanned photo was fine.
dw is online now  
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:18 pm
  #55  
S80
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: ORD/LHR
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,337
Originally Posted by Tack
Lol, just to make this thread even more inconsistent, SNA AC today, had my ID out and the AAngel said they didnt need it, my picture popped up when I scanned. Further, they didnt have the ID required sign up and said that theyd heard DFW and ORD were checking but they never got the memo. Then at the DFW FL, I use my physical BAEC card to access on domestic flights, and last week needed ID. Today, DL in hand with BA card and was never asked for it. BUT the two guys next to me were asked for theirs. Obviously AA D(oes)KWIA.or more likely, AA has done a horrible job on this policy roll out.
Originally Posted by dw
At BOS today was told they might need my ID when I scanned my BP, but then my profile loaded and they said the old scanned photo was fine.
It seems the only consistency is inconsistency!
S80 is online now  
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:41 pm
  #56  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ATL/TLV/SDF
Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Posts: 2,591
Yesterday (03 Feb) the DFW A-terminal club had a posted placard with "Gov't ID now required". Agent said it was a new requirement.
born sleepy is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:27 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MHK
Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Posts: 1,520
A group of us just got back from a trip where we had 3 card members and a few guests. All had to show ID and boarding pass each time. Very annoying, but if people are gaming the system I get it.

Another issue that may be in another thread somewhere, but since I just got home and haven't been on FT, I haven't seen it. DFW clubs are no longer selling food. I am guessing with the better free options the sales of their limited menu made it no longer worth it for them. My wife was disappointed as she is a picky eater and wanted to buy the quesadilla as she prefers that over most of their free options.
ksucats is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:10 am
  #58  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,065
I’ve never been asked for ID at an AC and today was no different at MIA D30.
enviroian is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:54 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Posts: 788
At the DFW Flagship now and no ID required for my JAL flight.
Drwaz99 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:58 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Washington DC
Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
Posts: 203
Friday afternoon, DCA E-club no id requested
Fly'nAAgain is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.