Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues

Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: notquiteaff
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
Recent periods when gc.com offered more than 1X:

02/02/2024 - 02/03/2024 3am EST: 3X
03/19/2024 - 03/20/2024 3pm-ish EDT : 3X
04/10/2024 - : 1.5X

(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.

------------------------------------------------

Archived posts can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-archive.html

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues

Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Both Backcountry.com and Oakley.com were showing their standard 3 miles/$ this morning, and are both now showing as 2.5 miles/$ along with many others.
Shrinkflation.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
They are still posting this message for Viator, which is ridiculous and not disclosed in the Terms on the Viator page. I submitted missing miles requests anyway, we’ll see what happens.
They're being inconsistent with Viator because I was able to get missing miles quickly. Details below.

1/22: Booked activity

2/26: Completed activity

3/18 (21 days after activity): Contacted Cartera since points hadn't posted

3/20: Received email from Cartera customer service saying my info "has been forwarded to the appropriate department for review. Please allow 4-8 weeks for this matter to be resolved. However, we hope to have this issue resolved much sooner than that."

3/25: Received email from Cartera customer service saying to please allow 3-5 business days for award to post.

I don't have the exact chronology for the rest, but when I looked in my Cartera earnings last week, I saw the deposit, but it hadn't yet posted to aa.com. I looked a moment ago and the points are on aa.com with my 30% bonus. I booked another Viator experience for the same trip in a different shopping session and that one auto-posted with no issues.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by nk15
I noticed it too, lots of 1.5 miles. Introducing the .5 mile devaluation, lol... Sounds orchestrated by some entity, which is not good...
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Shrinkflation.
Unreal. So it continues.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hmmm, seems like Home Depot is almost always 0.5 for "all other categories" (which is most) and I think Wal-Mart has a lot of 0.5 categories too. But there definitely seems to be a significant uptick in it today. Ace Hardware went from 2 to 1.5, among many others.
MASTERNC likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by DSM Flyer
Hmmm, seems like Home Depot is almost always 0.5 for "all other categories" (which is most) and I think Wal-Mart has a lot of 0.5 categories too. But there definitely seems to be a significant uptick in it today. Ace Hardware went from 2 to 1.5, among many others.
- did AA raise the cost of the mile they sell to the vendors?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Shrinkflation.
Or maybe some junior code in charge of a product just learned to work with floating point math.

"Hey guys look what I can do now!!!"
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:02 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Wow...so many .5 mile reductions.

Pretty strange that they have halved an LP.....do they round UP once posted, I wonder?

Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
Half points on AA portal but not on United

Originally Posted by 355F1
Wow...so many .5 mile reductions.

Pretty strange that they have halved an LP.....do they round UP once posted, I wonder?

I just took a peek at the United shopping portal, also run by Cartera. Relatively few vendors there are on half point increments, which suggests to me that this is an AA-specific devaluation. I didn't spend a lot of time analyzing it -- not all vendors on UA are identical to AA but I did notice that GiftCards.com is at 2/$ -- I think it's usually at one. United does have a new program giving limited status points based on credit card spend (but not shopping portal activity) so 2 miles plus the credit card mile and a little status boost might be enticing compared to one point with an LP on the AA side of the house.
artificialard and 355F1 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Or my personal favourite is when they act like something is a bonus but is actually a devaluation: Example: J Crew Factory has been 3x (straight rate, not crossed out with a bonus) for months. Today I get an email saying hey looks it's "extra" earning today! 2.5 instead of 1x! But it's less than it has been before LOL

Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by McTigerFan
I just took a peek at the United shopping portal, also run by Cartera.....but I did notice that GiftCards.com is at 2/$ -- I think it's usually at one.
This is incorrect as of this moment, both the UA and DL portals have gc.com at 1/$. When it goes to 2/$ there, it is a possibly a harbinger for an impending 3/$ at the AA shopping portal.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
This is incorrect as of this moment, both the UA and DL portals have gc.com at 1/$. When it goes to 2/$ there, it is a possibly a harbinger for an impending 3/$ at the AA shopping portal.
Are you sure? I'm still seeing 2/$ right now on UA.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
2/$ for me, too.

Delta and AS are at 1/$

I hope this isn’t a sign of targeted offers.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the link, 1/$ for me both logged in and logged out, so weird. I tried incognito, still 1/$, so it can't be targeted...

Giftcards.com coupon & promo codes 2024 - United MileagePlus Shopping
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the link, 1/$ for me both logged in and logged out, so weird:

Giftcards.com coupon & promo codes 2024 - United MileagePlus Shopping

Following your link.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless it is regional targeting, west of CST timezones....

Either regional targeting or set to expire same time on different timezones...

I tried VPNs all around the world, still 1/$ for me unlogged, so I have no idea what is going on...
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Apr 3, 2024 at 5:13 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.