Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues

Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: notquiteaff
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
Recent periods when gc.com offered more than 1X:

02/02/2024 - 02/03/2024 3am EST: 3X
03/19/2024 - 03/20/2024 3pm-ish EDT : 3X
04/10/2024 - : 1.5X

(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.

------------------------------------------------

Archived posts can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-archive.html

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues

Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Any thoughts on AAA rates?
All my AAA rate bookings have worked so far.

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Just to clarify, while you get the number of points per dollar according to the day you book, isn’t it also true that you won't actually receive the points until after the stay is completed?
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Correct. My experience is it usually take about 2 weeks to get my average Marriott stays to post to AAshopping after I check out.
In addition, the miles/LP posting date on your AA account will be back-dated to the booking date.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
That screenshot is just showing txpenny the math. You get the $100 card for $95.95 And I did warn that you likely won't get AA Shopping credit since I assume that this is a goal given we are in the AAdvantage eShopping thread.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Past experience suggests that this is incorrect. It's actually almost certain that you will get credit. But the terms don't back you up so it's not guaranteed.
I bought five of these cards on December 2nd that did not post. But, since 11.23, my GC.com purchases have not posted without sending in a missing points request. A couple of hours ago, I requested credit and just now I got the confirmation that I will get credit for the purchase.

VG, I did all the step in chrome to try to fix this issue. I'm wondering if I should try the incognito mode (not sure what that does - and affects other sites I use).
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I buy quite a bit of stuff from Macy's when the miles are high and they only track a day or so after they ship and then post pretty quickly after that.
It’s been a couple days now since shipping notification, and order still hasn’t tracked. I did notice on Macy’s website that a new tab opens within the same browser when selecting an item, so maybe this messed something up with ability to track.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by econ
It’s been a couple days now since shipping notification, and order still hasn’t tracked. I did notice on Macy’s website that a new tab opens within the same browser when selecting an item, so maybe this messed something up with ability to track.
That could be. When I see that, I add everything I need to buy into my cart and then activate the portal and purchase it. Maybe that's why I haven't had any issues.

Although, I placed a single order when it was 15x a few days ago, they shipped it in 2 shipments the same day and only one of them tracked so far - so maybe there's a slight delay lately. *shrug*
Old Dec 14, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
That could be. When I see that, I add everything I need to buy into my cart and then activate the portal and purchase it. Maybe that's why I haven't had any issues.
Although, I placed a single order when it was 15x a few days ago, they shipped it in 2 shipments the same day and only one of them tracked so far - so maybe there's a slight delay lately. *shrug*
I ordered from Macy's on 12/11 when at 15x. Order split, and one item received today. Nothing tracked- just a lowly store visit is showing.

FWIW- My wife's Macy's orders never track. Ever. She always has to request the points.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 6:41 pm

I ordered a bunch of things from Macy's on the 11th, and received a flurry of tracking emails today. Also randomly received points from a Fanatics order I placed on Black Friday that arrived weeks ago--never received any other emails about it.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Past experience suggests that this is incorrect. It's actually almost certain that you will get credit. But the terms don't back you up so it's not guaranteed.
Alright, I invested some bucks into a science experiment and will report back hopefully soon.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:08 pm

First time I ordered from bulletproof it posted within a few days. Only need another 2300. I can take a flight on the 26th and get it done this way but I want my extra 11 days of ex plat 🤣. Someone from customer service told me they get paid commission to post these posts/miles. Still waiting for an 11/20 order of AG1 packets. Anyone else have experience with AG1?
Old Dec 15, 2023, 12:16 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Macy's is again 15x today along with Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Alright, I invested some bucks into a science experiment and will report back hopefully soon.
This science experiment is also known as "business as usual" in most quarters....

Last edited by nk15; Dec 15, 2023 at 6:36 am
Old Dec 15, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: AA, KF
deleted
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I noticed the codes say one time use up to 5 cards. Have the issues with Cartera been resolved where it can track 5 $100 EGC's successfully without having to raise a ticket?. Doesn't look promising from above posts. Last year I just made orders at $250 and below and they all tracked flawlessly and the problems started at transactions being over $300.
You can use the code more than once, they just limit the total $$ you order with the code. I have always done orders one card at a time (makes tracking easier for me anyway) and it has never limited my ability to use "one time use" codes.

IMO, the 10% off version is a good enough reason to order. If it tracks for miles great (it typically does), but even if it doesn't work and my appeal fails I still paid $96 for a $100 bill.

Like many others here, I am still struggling with getting purchases at gc.com tracked automatically over the past several weeks. But they have always posted manually once appealed.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
from the T&C:

“Rewards not eligible on: Member Exclusive Offer bookings, Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates, where the customer is required to be affiliated with or employed by a particular company or organization to receive the special rate (e.g., corporate rate, government rate or the Marriott employee rate),”

Any thoughts on AAA rates? They could argue I have to be “affiliated” with a particular organization to receive that rate.
I see that someone has responded that AAA rates have worked for them. For me, I’ve never once had a Marriott.com purchase successfully post when going through the AA e shopping portal and using a AAA rate. I’ve never challenged the lack of miles; I’ve always chalked it up to using the AAA rate.

So it sounds like it may be a YMMV situation.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
You can use the code more than once, they just limit the total $$ you order with the code. I have always done orders one card at a time (makes tracking easier for me anyway) and it has never limited my ability to use "one time use" codes.

IMO, the 10% off version is a good enough reason to order. If it tracks for miles great (it typically does), but even if it doesn't work and my appeal fails I still paid $96 for a $100 bill.

Like many others here, I am still struggling with getting purchases at gc.com tracked automatically over the past several weeks. But they have always posted manually once appealed.
That used to be my experience. I used to do $100's at a time but now I do 2x$100 since anything $250 (the max for any GCC VGC/MC) and below tracks immediately for me at least in Chrome. But I wasn't able to get $500 for each code. I got the "already used" after two usages, regardless of how much I ordered. I agree though, I'm not ordering one order of 5x$100 and then having to spend 15 minutes worth of admin time and following up and submitting claim to get points in 6 weeks.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Last night I placed two orders in one store visit (first one $100 card, then three $100 cards, both with the same code that was mentioned in the giftcards.com homepage (not AA shopping GC.com page). I used, as always, Chrome Incognito.

First update: overnight received two “orders tracking” emails and the order numbers and order amounts appear with the single site visit in the Recent Store Visits tab.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.