Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues

Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: notquiteaff
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)


American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.


A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html



Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
Recent periods when gc.com offered more than 1X:

02/02/2024 - 02/03/2024 3am EST: 3X
03/19/2024 - 03/20/2024 3pm-ish EDT : 3X
04/10/2024 - : 1.5X

(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.

------------------------------------------------

Archived posts can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-archive.html




Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues

Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:36 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Had a large purchase (Tempur-pedic) using the portal last month. The store visit tracked correctly & you can see the order number/amount in my account history, but no miles have posted. I specifically didn’t use a promo code not shown on the portal (valued miles more than a free accessory). I submitted an inquiry & they quoted a 4-8 week review.

Is this the manual review I’ve seen posted about previously? In the past I’ve been credited the miles pretty fast after the initial inquiry but I’m guessing a 20k mile review is a different animal.
drizzleray is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:42 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,127
Originally Posted by drizzleray
Had a large purchase (Tempur-pedic) using the portal last month. The store visit tracked correctly & you can see the order number/amount in my account history, but no miles have posted. I specifically didn’t use a promo code not shown on the portal (valued miles more than a free accessory). I submitted an inquiry & they quoted a 4-8 week review.

Is this the manual review I’ve seen posted about previously? In the past I’ve been credited the miles pretty fast after the initial inquiry but I’m guessing a 20k mile review is a different animal.
Yup, big purchases seem to take many many weeks.
mizzou miles is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:55 am
  #48  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 16,824
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
You'll get the points that they were the day you booked your reservation. So if you book today for January (or Feb or March or whenever), you'll get 10x points (just be sure to read the T&C, Marriott does exclude some things).
from the T&C:

“Rewards not eligible on: Member Exclusive Offer bookings, Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates, where the customer is required to be affiliated with or employed by a particular company or organization to receive the special rate (e.g., corporate rate, government rate or the Marriott employee rate),”

Any thoughts on AAA rates? They could argue I have to be “affiliated” with a particular organization to receive that rate.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:59 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TPA/DFW/K15
Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Posts: 1,649
Just received this email from GC.com.

10% off $100 Visa® Virtual Accounts!



10% off a Visa Virtual Accounts up to $100
with promo code HOLIDAYVISA10

Sounds too good to be true. What am I missing?
txpenny is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:11 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Posts: 769
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
from the T&C:

“Rewards not eligible on: Member Exclusive Offer bookings, Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates, where the customer is required to be affiliated with or employed by a particular company or organization to receive the special rate (e.g., corporate rate, government rate or the Marriott employee rate),”

Any thoughts on AAA rates? They could argue I have to be “affiliated” with a particular organization to receive that rate.
Unfortunately, I've never used an AAA rate, so I can't help. As you pointed out, it's pretty ambiguous. You could also argue that it wasn't specifically excluded but who knows if that would go anywhere. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Drwaz99 is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:14 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Posts: 769
Originally Posted by txpenny
Just received this email from GC.com.

10% off $100 Visa® Virtual Accounts!



10% off a Visa Virtual Accounts up to $100
with promo code HOLIDAYVISA10

Sounds too good to be true. What am I missing?
It's not one of the codes listed on AAshopping (that I can see on mobile) as being eligible so there's a good chance you wouldn't get any miles from it. Otherwise, it's just a few free bucks for you once you deduct the fees from it.
Drwaz99 is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:16 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Posts: 1,932
Originally Posted by dshafiee
First time trying this, but I bought a bunch of things at Nike using the link and Chrome Add-in. It popped up and said you earned miles, etc. When I go to activity in the portal, it does not show up. How long does it take?
Normally a couple of days for Nike. They are 10x today, so you might want to buy some more!
murphy is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:38 am
  #53  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 16,824
Originally Posted by txpenny
Just received this email from GC.com.

10% off $100 Visa® Virtual Accounts!



10% off a Visa Virtual Accounts up to $100
with promo code HOLIDAYVISA10

Sounds too good to be true. What am I missing?
So you pay a $5.95 fee for the giftcard. And you likely won't get AA Shopping portal credit as the code doesn't appear on the portal.

notquiteaff is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:50 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,427
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So you pay a $5.95 fee for the giftcard. And you likely won't get AA Shopping portal credit as the code doesn't appear on the portal.

I am not sure what this post is showing, other than the discount code will work? There is no question it will work on the giftcards.com site- it is their discount code. But you most likely will not get AAdvantage points from AAshopping portal.

Here are the supported discounts:



DISCLAIMER: YMMV. Perhaps you will get the miles, even though the terms say you will not.
WannaTheater is online now  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:04 am
  #55  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 16,824
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
I am not sure what this post is showing, other than the discount code will work? There is no question it will work on the giftcards.com site- it is their discount code. But you most likely will not get AAdvantage points from AAshopping portal.
That screenshot is just showing txpenny the math. You get the $100 card for $95.95 And I did warn that you likely won't get AA Shopping credit since I assume that this is a goal given we are in the AAdvantage eShopping thread.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:34 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
You'll get the points that they were the day you booked your reservation. So if you book today for January (or Feb or March or whenever), you'll get 10x points (just be sure to read the T&C, Marriott does exclude some things).
Thank you!!
flyrsphl27 is online now  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:08 pm
  #57  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
It's not one of the codes listed on AAshopping (that I can see on mobile) as being eligible so there's a good chance you wouldn't get any miles from it. Otherwise, it's just a few free bucks for you once you deduct the fees from it.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So you pay a $5.95 fee for the giftcard. And you likely won't get AA Shopping portal credit as the code doesn't appear on the portal.
Past experience suggests that this is incorrect. It's actually almost certain that you will get credit. But the terms don't back you up so it's not guaranteed.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:39 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Programs: AA, but I play the field
Posts: 1,440
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
You'll get the points that they were the day you booked your reservation. So if you book today for January (or Feb or March or whenever), you'll get 10x points (just be sure to read the T&C, Marriott does exclude some things).
Just to clarify, while you get the number of points per dollar according to the day you book, isn’t it also true that you won't actually receive the points until after the stay is completed? (I've never booked a stay on the portal so genuinely do not know, but I thought that's what I read here before).
ZenFlyer is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:59 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,303
I noticed the codes say one time use up to 5 cards. Have the issues with Cartera been resolved where it can track 5 $100 EGC's successfully without having to raise a ticket?. Doesn't look promising from above posts. Last year I just made orders at $250 and below and they all tracked flawlessly and the problems started at transactions being over $300.
DeltaNeutral28 is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:25 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Posts: 769
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Just to clarify, while you get the number of points per dollar according to the day you book, isn’t it also true that you won't actually receive the points until after the stay is completed? (I've never booked a stay on the portal so genuinely do not know, but I thought that's what I read here before).
Correct. My experience is it usually take about 2 weeks to get my average Marriott stays to post to AAshopping after I check out. The terms also say it could take up to 90 days and (now) limited to the first $2500 dollars of your reservation. I think the longest one for me was about 6 weeks but it was a large dollar amount and a lot of AA miles (pre-$2500 restriction) so I'm sure they did some rigorous verifying to make sure they got their commission.
Drwaz99 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.