Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues

Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: notquiteaff
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
Recent periods when gc.com offered more than 1X:

02/02/2024 - 02/03/2024 3am EST: 3X
03/19/2024 - 03/20/2024 3pm-ish EDT : 3X
04/10/2024 - : 1.5X

(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.

------------------------------------------------

Archived posts can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-archive.html

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues

Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:58 am

Did you screenshot that pop-up confetti screen when you made the purchase? Will help with your case.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by sof_lance
Did you screenshot that pop-up confetti screen when you made the purchase? Will help with your case.
I did screenshot it for the last 2 that I bought on 12/5 and 12/7. I didn't on the previous 3, though I didn't realize there was an issue earlier - ( wish I had because I have a feeling I won't be getting credit for those now.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 11:08 am

There is still hope I reckon. This has worked for me: Have them check the timestamp of your shopping trip from the portal to GC and corroborate with the respective timestamps for those missed purchases.

Takes a bit of patience dealing with them.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RaindropT
Finally got a response from Cartera about my first giftcard purchase that didn't track. Even though I sent the congratulations email from AAshopping that I received for the purchase, the email from Cartera says, "After reviewing your account, we were unable to confirm that you accessed Giftcards.com through the eShopping web site on 11/28/2023, therefore we will not be able to add the expected reward to your account for the below order". Now what? Should I resubmit? Reply to the email they sent? I have 5 more gift cards that didn't track that I need to submit that I DON'T have the congratulations email for because I didn't receive one. What's the best way to successfully receive the miles/points for these? TIA!
Did you click through from the portal? Is there a store visit listed?

The store visits are done completely on their end when you click through (they don't require any tracking or communication with the merchant). I've never seen one not show up properly.

If there is a store visit with no purchase associated with it just send it back to them and point out the there is a store visit on that day.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 11:26 pm

I got an email today saying LG.com went from 3x miles to 12x miles earlier today, and I went to the website and saw the 12x, but by the time I talked my wife into it the 12x is gone, despite the email saying the offer is good through 1/4/24. Is it common for the offers to come and go daily?

Also, if I bought a big TV on there for $5,000 and say the 12x promotion was still good, would I get 15,000 LP's or 60,000 LPs?

I also see this line in the fine print at the bottom of the email... "Unless specified, AAdvantage® miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count towards elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million MilerTM status."
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:39 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Read the wiki at the top.

If the earning rate is increased, then it will also be credited as Loyalty Points. If it is paid as a bonus in return for spending a certain amount on top of regular earnings, then they will not be credited as Loyalty Points.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by palmab03
I got an email today saying LG.com went from 3x miles to 12x miles earlier today, and I went to the website and saw the 12x, but by the time I talked my wife into it the 12x is gone, despite the email saying the offer is good through 1/4/24. Is it common for the offers to come and go daily?

Also, if I bought a big TV on there for $5,000 and say the 12x promotion was still good, would I get 15,000 LP's or 60,000 LPs?

I also see this line in the fine print at the bottom of the email... "Unless specified, AAdvantage® miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count towards elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million MilerTM status."
Mileage rates change daily. Where did it say that the offer is good until 1/4? I've never seen them give a timeline for extra miles offers; I'm guessing that you are confusing it with something else.

As for the rest of it, I would suggest reading the wiki and some of this thread.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Mileage rates change daily. Where did it say that the offer is good until 1/4? I've never seen them give a timeline for extra miles offers; I'm guessing that you are confusing it with something else.

As for the rest of it, I would suggest reading the wiki and some of this thread.
Thank you, the daily thing is helpful (and sucks that I spent the hour arguing with the wife, convinced her, and now I gotta wait lol.) 12X for LG seems unusual, and I'm fine waiting, but does anyone know how often it might come back? Every Friday, Monthly, Quarterly or even annually?
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
From my email:

I think the 1/3/2024 deadline applies to the ”25% off”, not the 12X earnings rate.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
From my email:

I think the 1/3/2024 deadline applies to the ”25% off”, not the 12X earnings rate.
Yes, exactly.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
A bunch of stores probably have their yearly high-bonus miles today. Be sure to check your favorites. I few off the top of mine:

Nike: 10x
Macy's: 15x
Backcountry: 10x
CVS: 10x
Saks: 10x
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:27 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
My last three $1k+ purchases from Nov have not posted and I have had to send inquiries at 15 days for them to get them posted.

Ugh....I have only had to send 1 inquiry for missing miles before out of probably 15+ $1,000 purchases since 2022.

Last edited by 355F1; Dec 12, 2023 at 8:57 am
Old Dec 11, 2023, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 355F1
My last three $1k+ purcahses from Nov have not posted and I have had to send inquiries at 15 days for them to get them posted.

Ugh....I have only had to send 1 inquiry for missing miles before out of probably 15+ $1,000 purchases since 2022.
That's for giftcards.com? My most recent order (12/8) shows as pending in the "Recent Transactions" tab. Only $250, but I only by cards as needed as long as it's 1X.

All my Black Friday/Cyber Whateverday purchases from various stores in late November have posted without any issues, too.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
My last three $1k+ purcahses from Nov have not posted and I have had to send inquiries at 15 days for them to get them posted.

You can send them earlier than 15 days (it will let you). Send them individually. Resolution (for me) has been very fast.
I upload a word doc that has a few screenshots: (1) Check out page with the total amount and the AAshopping add-on button clicked showing the offer is active (2) Screenshot of the successful purchase, with the order number (sometimes has the confetti)

Last edited by WannaTheater; Dec 11, 2023 at 2:37 pm
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP

For the past 1 month, Dell.com and giftcards.com have not been tracked.. so I had to submit request manually each time and I am still waiting for the reply. No incognito mode, a third party cookie enabled. No email notifiction for tracked orders. For other various retailers, I do not have any issues getting order tracked so I don't think it is an issue with my browser settings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.