Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Jan 18, 2024, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
Sorry to piggyback off this - but are the AC guests "stackable"? E.g I'm PPro and flying ORD-CUN in MCE with myself + 3 others (no one else w/AA Status). If I have an AC membership I know that's +2 guests but then don't I also get +1 for being able to access as PPro on a "qualifying international itinerary"? Or is it just that the the greater of the 2 apply so would still need to pay for the last one?

Hope this make sense - thanks in advance
AFAIK guest benefits are not stackable, however in your case I would for sure try since, if they were, you could get everyone in.

So you show up to the AC with everyone and let the agent scan your BP, they see you're an AC member and say they have to charge you for one guest. You then say "oh, don't I also get one guest for being a PLT Pro flying to Mexico?" YMMV, they might still charge for one or they might say yes and let all of you in.
pharmflyer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 2:55 pm

Long time AAdvantage member - first time FT poster! Many years ago we signed up for AAdvantage accounts for our young children and we received hard copies of their AAdvantage membership cards with the numbers printed on them, which we still have, and for a time I received their AA emails for mileage updates since they were too young for email. Recently one of our children who is now an adult flew AA and presented his card and they said it wasn't in the system. Is it possible AA cancelled his account since he hadn't flown American for years? (We mainly fly DL now due to DH's status). Just wondering if he should register for a new account or if anyone knows if AA tends to recycle numbers due to lack of activity.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:20 pm
mjz

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum
Two Tickets -- Check Bag Through to Final Destination

I'm purchasing a ticket on AA.com from MCI to DFW (AA) to HEL (Finnair). And then a separate ticket on Finnair.com for a flight from HEL to TLL (Nordic Reg for Finnair). It's substantially cheaper to book the ticket to Tallinn separately. Will I be able to check my bag at MCI all the way through to TLL? Or, will I need to collect my bag in HEL and then re-check the bag for the flight to TLL?
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjz
I'm purchasing a ticket on AA.com from MCI to DFW (AA) to HEL (Finnair). And then a separate ticket on Finnair.com for a flight from HEL to TLL (Nordic Reg for Finnair). It's substantially cheaper to book the ticket to Tallinn separately. Will I be able to check my bag at MCI all the way through to TLL? Or, will I need to collect my bag in HEL and then re-check the bag for the flight to TLL?
AA will not check bags across separate tickets like that, even AA to AA. So you need to plan enough time at HEL to grab your bag and check it in again.
mjz likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi everyone

I'm new to the AA forum as I live in the UK and usually fly with BA. I do enjoy a trip across the pond with AA though. I have a quick question.

I few DUB-PHL AA723 back in December. I was sat in seat 1A and unfortunately dropped an AirPod down into the motor mechanism of the seat. The F/A told me that I would have to wait until the aircrafts next B or C check to get it, when the engineers will be taking the whole thing apart. Is there any way of checking an aircrafts date of last inspection or when the next one is due? If it is a long while away I'll have to replace the AirPod but if its this year then I would hold fire.

The aircraft was N810AN, a 787-8. I've just checked in FR24 and it seems it flew DFW-FRA on 12th January but did not do the return trip on 13th as planned. It then flew back to DFW on 14th as AA9601 and onward to Tulsa that evening as AA9798. I'm wondering perhaps is it now in for a B or C check?

Thanks in advance guys for any info and advice you can give me.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:06 am

48 months since last sign-up bonus? How do I know??

Both DH and I have had AA cards in the past, and received a sign-up bonus. We are unsure of how long ago it was? 36 months? 49 months?

How do we know if we qualify for new sign-up bonus for a new card? If I log-in to my AA account, and click offers, is AA smart enough to know/target me to offer only those cards WITH bonus that I qualify for??

Do I need to call?

Thanks!
J.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by veron689908
Hi everyone

I'm new to the AA forum as I live in the UK and usually fly with BA. I do enjoy a trip across the pond with AA though. I have a quick question.

I few DUB-PHL AA723 back in December. I was sat in seat 1A and unfortunately dropped an AirPod down into the motor mechanism of the seat. The F/A told me that I would have to wait until the aircrafts next B or C check to get it, when the engineers will be taking the whole thing apart. Is there any way of checking an aircrafts date of last inspection or when the next one is due? If it is a long while away I'll have to replace the AirPod but if its this year then I would hold fire.

The aircraft was N810AN, a 787-8. I've just checked in FR24 and it seems it flew DFW-FRA on 12th January but did not do the return trip on 13th as planned. It then flew back to DFW on 14th as AA9601 and onward to Tulsa that evening as AA9798. I'm wondering perhaps is it now in for a B or C check?

Thanks in advance guys for any info and advice you can give me.
To be honest I have no clue how you would ever get in touch with the right person at AA to get you that earbud back.

I guess the first thing to do is file a Lost & Found Report at aa.com, but on something like a single earbud I highly doubt that would lead to getting it back weeks/months later when the plane undergoes a C check. That would require a level of coordination and customer service that's way above AA's head.

Outside of that I suppose you could try finding the direct phone number for the maintenance base in TUL and just call and see if they have any type of lost and found process for things left on the plane.

And the plane going to TUL is a good sign of a maintenance check, although if it was cancelled off its original flight and flew home a day later as a 9XXX flight number and then went to TUL it could be some other maintenance issue.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stan1162
Both DH and I have had AA cards in the past, and received a sign-up bonus. We are unsure of how long ago it was? 36 months? 49 months?

How do we know if we qualify for new sign-up bonus for a new card? If I log-in to my AA account, and click offers, is AA smart enough to know/target me to offer only those cards WITH bonus that I qualify for??

Do I need to call?
You need to manually verify when you received your last bonus.

The 48 month stuff is a Citi requirement and nothing to do with AA; AA is definitely not smart enough to know exactly when you received your last SUB and only present offers accordingly.

Do you have any type of credit monitoring service? For example I can log into my (free) account at Experian and see all of my closed credit card accounts, including dates the accounts were opened and closed.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Have you had the Barclays Aviator card? I recently got my one with 75k miles bonus. I had previously had it, but canceled about three years ago. The general consensus seems to be that if Barclays approves you for a card, you will receive the bonus (if you meet the spend requirement, which incidentally is much easier than Citis just make one single purchase).
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Do I need to call?

Thanks!
J.
You are each entitled to an annual free credit report from each of the major credit-reporting agencies. That report should show you when the cards in question were opened; add three months to that, and you should know the latest point in time when you would have received the sign-up bonus.

Details here:

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/free-credit-reports

("Free Credit Reports")

A possible alternative is to call AAdvantage Customer Service, and ask if they show what month your account was last credited with a very large (50,000+? 60,000+?) number of miles. I'm just not sure how far back their records go.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thanks!

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You need to manually verify when you received your last bonus.

The 48 month stuff is a Citi requirement and nothing to do with AA; AA is definitely not smart enough to know exactly when you received your last SUB and only present offers accordingly.

Do you have any type of credit monitoring service? For example I can log into my (free) account at Experian and see all of my closed credit card accounts, including dates the accounts were opened and closed.
Duh. Didn't think of that. Got it. Thanks so much!
Old Jan 20, 2024, 8:30 pm

All window seats are currently "preferred" ($). Will that change?

My daughter is flying economy from JFK to EZE next week and all window seats (apart from the last row) are currently designated "preferred." Same is true with her return flight.

I'm just curious - - is there a chance that some preferred seats will become available without the fee closer to the flight date?

Also, I have gold status but she doesn't. Had I purchased the ticket for her using my account, would she have been able to access those seats without paying the fee?

TIA for any info!
Old Jan 20, 2024, 11:57 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by overhear
My daughter is flying economy from JFK to EZE next week and all window seats (apart from the last row) are currently designated "preferred." Same is true with her return flight.

I'm just curious - - is there a chance that some preferred seats will become available without the fee closer to the flight date?

Also, I have gold status but she doesn't. Had I purchased the ticket for her using my account, would she have been able to access those seats without paying the fee?

TIA for any info!
At check-in Preferred become available.

No. Status of the flier is what matters.
overhear likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:29 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Expiration Avoidance

Hi, all,
My miles expire March 4. If I book travel, does my expiration clock reset as of the booking date, or the flight date (which will have to be after March 4)?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:01 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Come Fry With Me
Hi, all,
My miles expire March 4. If I book travel, does my expiration clock reset as of the booking date, or the flight date (which will have to be after March 4)?
Flight Date.

See this thread for ideas to keep your miles alive - Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying - FlyerTalk Forums
Come Fry With Me likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.