Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions


NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Jun 24, 2024, 1:15 pm
  #841  
S80
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Airport Lounges (Usually in ORD and LHR)
Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,547
Originally Posted by pH
Weird question I am not quite sure how to formulate...am flying LAX-IAH-LHR. LAX-IAH on AA and IAH-LHR on BA. All on one reservation/PNR.

As IAH is not a hub for AA/Oneworld and this involves an airline switch, should I trust checking by bags though? Or, should I ask to short check the bag at to IAH and transfer myself?

Thanks so much for any advice!
The AA folks at IAH are excellent. I wouldn't worry about checking all the way through, the landside connection between AA and BA is basically the furthest walk you can do, so will be painful with bags. Airside there's a train that will take you most of the way.
pH likes this.
S80 is offline  
Old Jun 24, 2024, 2:57 pm
  #842  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR and back on Van Isle ....... for now
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 14,493
Originally Posted by pH
Weird question I am not quite sure how to formulate...am flying LAX-IAH-LHR. LAX-IAH on AA and IAH-LHR on BA. All on one reservation/PNR.

As IAH is not a hub for AA/Oneworld and this involves an airline switch, should I trust checking by bags though? Or, should I ask to short check the bag at to IAH and transfer myself?
Non hub connections are done all the time, and while bags will have to switch terminals, it should be no problem.

Originally Posted by S80
The AA folks at IAH are excellent. I wouldn't worry about checking all the way through, the landside connection between AA and BA is basically the furthest walk you can do, so will be painful with bags. Airside there's a train that will take you most of the way.
Actually ..... no worries about landside, as there is a Subway (airside is called Skyway). It is the original and slow way to get between terminals, and if I have a really long connection (and I'm up for reclearing security) I take it for old times sake So no need to schlep with bags from one end of the airport to the other other than taking the elevator to / from the basement (if needed, but should not be needed)
pH and S80 like this.
EmailKid is online now  
Old Jun 24, 2024, 4:18 pm
  #843  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Posts: 17,111
Not sure if this is truly an AA question or more of a general/disability-related question. I'm flying out of PBI next week and for the first time in my life requested a wheelchair. I don't have any bags to check and have pre-check. Where would I ask for or be picked up by the wheelchair? I'm assuming the check-in counter but I'd really rather not stand in line (though I am OWS so that might help with the priority lane).

-J.
GW McLintock is offline  
Old Jun 24, 2024, 6:13 pm
  #844  
S80
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Airport Lounges (Usually in ORD and LHR)
Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,547
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Not sure if this is truly an AA question or more of a general/disability-related question. I'm flying out of PBI next week and for the first time in my life requested a wheelchair. I don't have any bags to check and have pre-check. Where would I ask for or be picked up by the wheelchair? I'm assuming the check-in counter but I'd really rather not stand in line (though I am OWS so that might help with the priority lane).

-J.
I'm not sure about PBI specifically, but at lots of airports there is a separate airline-agnostic check in section for wheelchairs.
GW McLintock likes this.
S80 is offline  
Old Jun 24, 2024, 9:57 pm
  #845  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 266
Anyone have a way of adding Qantas FF number to AA award booking?

Many moons ago I used to be able to do this on the QF website, and then when that failed by calling QF. . Neither seemed to work after a while so let it go.

Randomly though - a recent flight I took (last week) I noticed it showed both FF numbers - no idea who that happened.

I can add the flight to the Qantas app under trips - but can't add them to manage booking section on the website.
baggyred is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 1:11 am
  #846  
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: IAD, BOS
Posts: 12
Question regarding linked reservations- I am an AS elite traveling on AA with a companion with no status on separate reservations (booked with AS miles, though). I called in and was able to get MCE seats for my companion (oddly, they told me on the phone that they couldnít do anything for me, but my companion was able to select MCE seats for no charge after the call regardless). Is there a way to get my companion on the upgrade list as well? I see the upgrade request on my reservation but not on theirs.
womba is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 4:43 am
  #847  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,653
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Not sure if this is truly an AA question or more of a general/disability-related question. I'm flying out of PBI next week and for the first time in my life requested a wheelchair. I don't have any bags to check and have pre-check. Where would I ask for or be picked up by the wheelchair? I'm assuming the check-in counter but I'd really rather not stand in line (though I am OWS so that might help with the priority lane).

-J.
I canít speak specifically for AA or PBI, but for Southwest in TPA Iíve dropped my mother off at the outside baggage check-in area. This is where they have wheelchairs, and they get someone to wheel her through security and to the gate.
GW McLintock likes this.
WannaTheater is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 7:09 am
  #848  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 14,925
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Not sure if this is truly an AA question or more of a general/disability-related question. I'm flying out of PBI next week and for the first time in my life requested a wheelchair. I don't have any bags to check and have pre-check. Where would I ask for or be picked up by the wheelchair? I'm assuming the check-in counter but I'd really rather not stand in line (though I am OWS so that might help with the priority lane).

-J.
I can't speak specifically to PBI but watch to see if there are any signs showing a handicapped entrance. (LGA for example has a specific entrance for all airlines, a couple of doors away from the AA counters). If not, then just go to the check in counters or ask any airline representative you see for help. If you've never used wheelchair assistance before, please be aware that, despite pre-check, no bags, etc, you need to leave extra time for every step. Make sure to let the attendant know you have pre and, if you can walk through the scanners it's best otherwise you get a pat down. On arrival at destination, before exiting the plane, ask the flight attendants if the wheelchair is there. Don't get off the plane until it arrives. Because you might be waiting quite awhile, especially at DFW for example.
GW McLintock likes this.
wrp96 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 11:03 am
  #849  
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Platinum Pro/Oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 111
Hi,

I just wanted to confirm my understanding of how miles/LPs are earned on codeshare flights booked through AA. My wife and I are flying Qatar Airways (QR) next week DFW-DOH-MLE and back (business class). Although this flight is on QR metal, since it was marketed and booked via AA, we will earn miles/LPs based on AA's calculation methodology, correct?

The reason I ask is that, in this case, we'd benefit more from AA's methodology than QR's. Thanks!
whiterock001 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 11:04 am
  #850  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 681
Pretty noob question but...

Looking at an AA flight where the best option is to purchase using Alaska miles.

If there are IROPS, do I get treated like I purchased from AA directly with cash? That is, if my flight it cancelled or heavily delayed will I be able to switch to another routing?

The flight in question is from Merida, Mexico in August. From experience, both UA and AA flights to Merida are frequently delayed/cancelled especially when hurricane season hits, which is why I want to make sure I will have some options.
jamesinclair is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 11:22 am
  #851  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,856
Originally Posted by whiterock001
Hi,

I just wanted to confirm my understanding of how miles/LPs are earned on codeshare flights booked through AA. My wife and I are flying Qatar Airways (QR) next week DFW-DOH-MLE and back (business class). Although this flight is on QR metal, since it was marketed and booked via AA, we will earn miles/LPs based on AA's calculation methodology, correct?

The reason I ask is that, in this case, we'd benefit more from AA's methodology than QR's. Thanks!
Correct, you will earn as if this were a normal AA flight (by fare).
whiterock001 likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 12:21 pm
  #852  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,856
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Pretty noob question but...

Looking at an AA flight where the best option is to purchase using Alaska miles.

If there are IROPS, do I get treated like I purchased from AA directly with cash? That is, if my flight it cancelled or heavily delayed will I be able to switch to another routing?

The flight in question is from Merida, Mexico in August. From experience, both UA and AA flights to Merida are frequently delayed/cancelled especially when hurricane season hits, which is why I want to make sure I will have some options.
Yes, for day of departure (or close in) irrops like weather an award ticket is treated the same as a paid ticket.
jamesinclair likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 1:08 pm
  #853  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 7
FInding upgrade availability

I am trying to book Business Class flights from ORD to AKL returning from MEL to ORD. Either with miles or dollars the prices are outrageous. So looking at booking economy and upgrading. I'm not understanding the availability chart. If I search ORD to AKL, it shows 7 C seats. If I search both segments seperately, there is 0. Am i doing something wrong?

If there was availability, and I booked an economy seat and put it on hold, could an agent do the upgrade for me and would it be confirmed or is it just putting me on a waitlist?

I had a complete trip planned last January to/from NZ/OZ but had to cancel at the last minute due to a medical issue. I booked 2 people both ways in BC for under 350,000 miles. Today, I can't book one person one way for under 400,000 miles! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
lbpontel is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 1:40 pm
  #854  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 681
Originally Posted by lbpontel
I am trying to book Business Class flights from ORD to AKL returning from MEL to ORD. Either with miles or dollars the prices are outrageous. So looking at booking economy and upgrading. I'm not understanding the availability chart. If I search ORD to AKL, it shows 7 C seats. If I search both segments seperately, there is 0. Am i doing something wrong?

If there was availability, and I booked an economy seat and put it on hold, could an agent do the upgrade for me and would it be confirmed or is it just putting me on a waitlist?

I had a complete trip planned last January to/from NZ/OZ but had to cancel at the last minute due to a medical issue. I booked 2 people both ways in BC for under 350,000 miles. Today, I can't book one person one way for under 400,000 miles! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Just as a point of reference, I did DFW-AKL for 79k points earlier this year in business. I had to buy my positioning flight with cash (and almost missed my connection)
jamesinclair is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 1:55 pm
  #855  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Posts: 17,111
Originally Posted by S80
I'm not sure about PBI specifically, but at lots of airports there is a separate airline-agnostic check in section for wheelchairs.
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
I canít speak specifically for AA or PBI, but for Southwest in TPA Iíve dropped my mother off at the outside baggage check-in area. This is where they have wheelchairs, and they get someone to wheel her through security and to the gate.
Originally Posted by wrp96
I can't speak specifically to PBI but watch to see if there are any signs showing a handicapped entrance. (LGA for example has a specific entrance for all airlines, a couple of doors away from the AA counters). If not, then just go to the check in counters or ask any airline representative you see for help. If you've never used wheelchair assistance before, please be aware that, despite pre-check, no bags, etc, you need to leave extra time for every step. Make sure to let the attendant know you have pre and, if you can walk through the scanners it's best otherwise you get a pat down. On arrival at destination, before exiting the plane, ask the flight attendants if the wheelchair is there. Don't get off the plane until it arrives. Because you might be waiting quite awhile, especially at DFW for example.
Thanks to the three if you, even if none of you can speak specifically for PBI

One more quick question that is more AA related (and slightly less). I have a layover in DCA and I'd like to stop at the American Tap Room (PP restaurant) and the Admirals Club. Would this be feasible? I am able to walk short distances and could walk myself to the gate if it isn't too far, but I imagine they could call for a new chair when I'm ready to leave the lounge.

-J.
GW McLintock is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.