Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Jun 20, 2024, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by eng3
I've heard of FA's telling you to keep the window shade up if you are in the exit row. This is typically so they can quickly see if there's a fire outside.

Well, on some recent flights, I now hear the opposite. Close the window shade during taxi/takeoff/landing if in the exit row.
Anyone hear this one or know the reason?
Yesterday on a 737 the FA told exit row folks to keep the window shade down for taxi/takeoff/landing, because sliding the shade down was "open." 2 of 4 people slid the shades up, closing the window. One realized their mistake and quickly put the shade down, while the other remained clueless until the FA returned. She laughed and said this is always confusing.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 9:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Cash PE runs around $2000; now days is the 25k + $350 even a viable option for the outbound, is economy to J bookable or must it be PE to J?
Mileage upgrades from Economy are direct to Business, not PE; however, there has to be award space available for the upgrade to come through.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by eng3
I've heard of FA's telling you to keep the window shade up if you are in the exit row. This is typically so they can quickly see if there's a fire outside.

Well, on some recent flights, I now hear the opposite. Close the window shade during taxi/takeoff/landing if in the exit row.
Anyone hear this one or know the reason?
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
Yesterday on a 737 the FA told exit row folks to keep the window shade down for taxi/takeoff/landing, because sliding the shade down was "open." 2 of 4 people slid the shades up, closing the window. One realized their mistake and quickly put the shade down, while the other remained clueless until the FA returned. She laughed and said this is always confusing.
That's it. In most aircraft with overwing exits, the window shades on the doors go down so during impact forces they "fall" open. On the C-Series/A220, they have created a new type of shade that slides in on itself and will in theory stay up (a boneheaded design if you ask me). Some airlines, especially internationally, require all window shades open. In the US the requirement is only the exit rows and 1A on aircraft without a viewing window from the 1L door when that is the primary evacuation route (CRJs, some ERJ-145s, etc.). I would include Dash-8s on that list but last I checked they don't have window shades

-J.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
Mileage upgrades from Economy are direct to Business, not PE; however, there has to be award space available for the upgrade to come through.
Thanks
Should I book, put on a 24 hour hold, then call?
Is there anyway to see space online?
Old Jun 20, 2024, 12:16 pm

Flying from CA/bay area to Costa Rica and have a choice of AA or AA flights that are pretty similar in price and total travel time, but AA would be SFO-DFW-SJO and AS would be SFO-LAX-SJO. Flight is a Weds morning in August. Which is likely to be the best overall experience?

For context I'm AA gold, likely platinum by flight day, and given that apparently FC upgrades on AS only start at AA PPro level, maybe there's a slightly higher chance of FC on AA metal? OTOH, I generally hear that Alaska has a better hard product than AA and haven't flown with them in a long time and part of my reason for working on AA status was to try it out with AS since SFO is a hub for AS.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 11:59 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tboons
Hello!

May I check if I would get more miles in the upgraded class for AA paid upgrade or on the original ticketed class? I read somewhere about that depends if the upgrade is done at airport or via app as it would affect the ticketed class?
In-app and .com "buy up to premium cabin" upgrades earn based on the original ticketed class. (Plus, the buy-up fee does not earn any loyalty points or miles at the moment, though that is supposed to change later this year: When will loyalty points start earning for upgrades?)

To earn more miles/loyalty points in a higher cabin, you'd need to reticket via buying a premium cabin seat (upfaring).
Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:35 am

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have personal experience with International upgrade Offer in the App or online?

We booked a cash premium economy flight from Europe to the US (LHR-MIA) on AA.com and don't see any upgrade offer to C.

Its 110 Day before departure so will these only be visible shortly before departure? Or is it because we have a feeder flight with BA on AA codeshare?
We also cannot change the flight online ourselves. We used a partial trip credit when booking.

Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2024, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Upgrade window question.

I’m an Alaska MVP Gold/OneWorld Sapphire. Agent at bag drop tells me that upgrades will clear 30 minutes before boarding. Which they did, but that seems awfully late in the process and does not correspond with the info on their webpage https://www.aa.com/web/i18n/aadvanta...s-members.html.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL(PM) AA(EP) HYATT(Globalist) HILTON(Diamond)
Originally Posted by Mehdron
Upgrade window question.

Im an Alaska MVP Gold/OneWorld Sapphire. Agent at bag drop tells me that upgrades will clear 30 minutes before boarding. Which they did, but that seems awfully late in the process and does not correspond with the info on their webpage https://www.aa.com/web/i18n/aadvanta...s-members.html.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
upgrade window just means the earliest you will be able to upgrade. US airlines are getting really good at selling upgrades where people who really care to fly in them will just pay the cash to upgrade. the rule of thumb lately has been holding 1 F seat for cash sale until D-40 from departure at which point either agent assist (the program AA uses to cut back on gate agents for not full flights to auto clear people) or the gate agent will clear based on status. in reality unless your top tier elite in your program(EP, 1K, DM etc) your upgrade will only ever clear at gate. since ur not flying AS metal theres quite a bit of AA elites that will clear before you do (and vice versa if AA elite was flying on AS)
Old Jun 23, 2024, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL(PM) AA(EP) HYATT(Globalist) HILTON(Diamond)
can AA split a PNR? like a RT into 2 1 ways? i have a flight to ORD but a few friends are flying out the day before but we are likely going to be on the same flight back. id like to attach their reservation to mine so we can all pick MCE and sit together. Or... is it possible to just attach their reservation to my existing PNR?
Old Jun 24, 2024, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Quick question for LHR experts - AA is requiring us to checkin with an AA agent - are there any at a transit desk or do we have to go to the AA ticket counter landside? I am not sure if BA can help as the BA counter could not issue BPs for the connecting AA flight

we are arriving at T5 on a BA flight and have to transfer to T3. I guess worst case is we go out land side and transfer bus to T3. We have 3 hours
Old Jun 24, 2024, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ylc13
can AA split a PNR? like a RT into 2 1 ways? i have a flight to ORD but a few friends are flying out the day before but we are likely going to be on the same flight back. id like to attach their reservation to mine so we can all pick MCE and sit together. Or... is it possible to just attach their reservation to my existing PNR?
Your friends just need to be on the same flight to get seats next to you in MCE for no charge. They don't need to be on the same reservation. Once their flights are booked just call AA to get them seated next to you.
ylc13 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Quick question for LHR experts - AA is requiring us to checkin with an AA agent - are there any at a transit desk or do we have to go to the AA ticket counter landside? I am not sure if BA can help as the BA counter could not issue BPs for the connecting AA flight

we are arriving at T5 on a BA flight and have to transfer to T3. I guess worst case is we go out land side and transfer bus to T3. We have 3 hours
There is an AA transfer desk before the transit security at T3. You definitely do not need to go landside.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There is an AA transfer desk before the transit security at T3. You definitely do not need to go landside.
indeed! Was easy to take transfer bus from T5-T3. No boarding pass check or anything else. As soon as you arrive there is a massive AA and BA transfer desk and they fixed everything. Then you proceed immediately through security. All very smooth.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 1:08 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Weird question I am not quite sure how to formulate...am flying LAX-IAH-LHR. LAX-IAH on AA and IAH-LHR on BA. All on one reservation/PNR.

As IAH is not a hub for AA/Oneworld and this involves an airline switch, should I trust checking by bags though? Or, should I ask to short check the bag at to IAH and transfer myself?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.