Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions


NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Jun 13, 2024, 1:23 pm
  #796  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Posts: 3,973
Originally Posted by guv1976
A recent change to the refundability of AA's Basic Economy fares for AAdvantage members:

"AAdvantage® members can cancel Basic Economy fare tickets on or after January 17, 2024 and receive travel credit for a fee. To qualify, your AAdvantage® number must be in your reservation before canceling. Your trip must also be on American marketed and operated flights within the 50 U.S. states and canceled on aa.com or the American app before the first flight departs. If the fee is more than the ticket price, travel credit will not be issued."
Which seems to finally answer OP's question.
MADPhil is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2024, 5:52 pm
  #797  
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 70
Anyone have experience on the newer A321neo vs older A321?

I'm flying SFO to SJO (Costa Rica) on a Weds in August, and if I'm willing to connect in Miami rather than Dallas, which means a bit more air time, the first leg would be on the A321neo.

I'm also wondering if there might be fewer elites to complete with routing in and out of MIA rather than DFW on AA
Whats The Points is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2024, 8:55 pm
  #798  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: nyc
Programs: DL(PM) AA(EP) HYATT(Globalist) HILTON(Diamond)
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by Whats The Points
Anyone have experience on the newer A321neo vs older A321?

I'm flying SFO to SJO (Costa Rica) on a Weds in August, and if I'm willing to connect in Miami rather than Dallas, which means a bit more air time, the first leg would be on the A321neo.

I'm also wondering if there might be fewer elites to complete with routing in and out of MIA rather than DFW on AA
they are effectively the same seats. not like delta with their new seats in staggered config.

either way I wouldn’t pick the longer net travel time since Last min equip swaps are a thing 🥲

Last edited by ylc13; Jun 14, 2024 at 12:14 pm
ylc13 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2024, 8:55 pm
  #799  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: nyc
Programs: DL(PM) AA(EP) HYATT(Globalist) HILTON(Diamond)
Posts: 20
aa lga ord yyc and back. return is a overnight layover in ord. do i get adm club access next day at ord since its technically a connection from a international flight? EP for reference
ylc13 is offline  
Old Jun 14, 2024, 5:16 am
  #800  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,839
Originally Posted by ylc13
aa lga ord yyc and back. return is a overnight layover in ord. do i get adm club access next day at ord since its technically a connection from a international flight? EP for reference
Generally speaking yes, overnight international connections (on the same reservation) are treated the same for lounge access purposes, so shouldn't be a problem to access the AC at ORD the next day before your flight to LGA.
ylc13 likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2024, 8:17 am
  #801  
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 82
Am I dumb, but why does the AA LP scheme result in such huge deltas between benefits on flights depending on who you credit? A seven segment TP J flight partially on BA/AA/AS that would bring about 580 TP (97% to BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire) is worth, checks notes, less than 8,000 LP (12% to AA Plat/OW Sapphire). Obviously, BA OW Sapphire has pros and cons vs AA OW Sapphire, but is AA simply trying to drive flyers to CC spend for income purposes rather than actually rewarding flying now?
TxDucky is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2024, 9:50 am
  #802  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 276
Does AA grant lounge access to passengers flying from ORD to YYZ in business? I checked the AA website, and it does appear there is lounge access included for J passengers on flights between the US and Canada, but there is an asterisk that specifies this: *Except on flights operated by Alaska Airlines, access is not granted when flying from the United States to Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico. Departing or arriving flight must be the same day or before 6 a.m. the following day. Non-revenue passengers aren’t eligible.

So does this mean lounge access is granted ONLY if flying with Alaska Airlines from the US to CAD, or the opposite--lounge access is granted UNLESS flying with Alaska Airlines? 😵
mykel67 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2024, 11:28 am
  #803  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR and back on Van Isle ....... for now
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 14,492
Originally Posted by mykel67

So does this mean lounge access is granted ONLY if flying with Alaska Airlines from the US to CAD, or the opposite--lounge access is granted UNLESS flying with Alaska Airlines? 😵
That is a confusing question but the answer is that you only get access if flying on American Airlines.
mykel67 likes this.
EmailKid is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2024, 3:08 pm
  #804  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 276
Sorry for the confusing question—I tried to word it several different ways before posting. The terms and conditions on the AA website could be a lot clearer. Thank you for answering my question. 🥂
EmailKid likes this.
mykel67 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2024, 6:34 pm
  #805  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: oneword Emerald
Posts: 21,116
Originally Posted by TxDucky
Am I dumb, but why does the AA LP scheme result in such huge deltas between benefits on flights depending on who you credit? A seven segment TP J flight partially on BA/AA/AS that would bring about 580 TP (97% to BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire) is worth, checks notes, less than 8,000 LP (12% to AA Plat/OW Sapphire). Obviously, BA OW Sapphire has pros and cons vs AA OW Sapphire, but is AA simply trying to drive flyers to CC spend for income purposes rather than actually rewarding flying now?
It would help to know the fare that you paid and who issued those tickets in order to compare the AA Loyalty Points and BA Tier Points earnings. I have three upcoming transatlantic flights from and to LAX with domestic and intra-European connections in the next few months (the fourth one is an award redemption). Even though I bought the tickets through AA.com, the transatlantic segments are flown by Finnair, Iberia and British Airways. As an EXP, those three transatlantic itineraries will earn me in excess of 70K Loyalty Points. It takes 75K LP to reach AA Platinum / OWS status. I believe that had the tickets been issued by AY, IB and/or BA, the LP earnings would be distance based and, as a result, much lower (as was the case with my CX flights last year).
TWA884 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2024, 6:45 pm
  #806  
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by TWA884
It would help to know the fare that you paid and who issued those tickets in order to compare the AA Loyalty Points and BA Tier Points earnings. I have three upcoming transatlantic flights from and to LAX with domestic and intra-European connections in the next few months (the fourth one is an award redemption). Even though I bought the tickets through AA.com, the transatlantic segments are flown by Finnair, Iberia and British Airways. As an EXP, those three transatlantic itineraries will earn me in excess of 70K Loyalty Points. It takes 75K LP to reach AA Platinum / OWS status. I believe that had the tickets been issued by AY, IB and/or BA, the LP earnings will be distance based and as a result much lower (as was the case with my CX flights last year).
It’s a cheap as chips J fair that results in meager return for a no status, almost Gold now, recent entrant into the game. The cheap cost is naturally the genesis for the weak points accumulation for it if booked AA, while a BA booking would generate 40+140+140+40+40+140+40=540 (this time I checked it, as a 40 segment drops out)…with 4 segments on BA metal.

It’s just perplexing to me that I can basically nearly pickup OW Sapphire from BA for about $650 over what I’d be spending anyway on half of a couple of TATL trips, while AA would give very little return. They’d be providing the A/C for two legs and get a little return, but it’s wild. So then I just move the other two TATL segments to BA and I’m golden, er, silver.
TxDucky is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2024, 8:06 pm
  #807  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 30,381
Originally Posted by TxDucky
It’s a cheap as chips J fair that results in meager return for a no status, almost Gold now, recent entrant into the game. The cheap cost is naturally the genesis for the weak points accumulation for it if booked AA, while a BA booking would generate 40+140+140+40+40+140+40=540 (this time I checked it, as a 40 segment drops out)…with 4 segments on BA metal.
Does each of the long segments exceed 3,000 miles? If so, consider crediting to Iberia Plus instead of BAEC.
TxDucky likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2024, 10:02 pm
  #808  
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by guv1976
Does each of the long segments exceed 3,000 miles? If so, consider crediting to Iberia Plus instead of BAEC.
Excellent tip, I’ll investigate.
TxDucky is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2024, 10:24 pm
  #809  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 30,381
Originally Posted by TxDucky
Excellent tip, I’ll investigate.
Some food for thought:

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2019/03/qa...f-iberia-plus/

("WHY QATAR AIRWAYS BUSINESS CLASS REGULARS MIGHT BE BETTER OFF WITH IBERIA PLUS")
TxDucky likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 2024, 8:30 am
  #810  
Formerly known as hcampana
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AMS
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 464
Hi everyone. It's my first time using my new AA aviator card to book a flight (I don't fly domestic that often) and it says my companions and I should get a free checked bag. Does anyone know if I have to purchase econ basic or main cabin for this benefit? And how do I get the free bag? I don't see an option for adding a free one when booking online so do I just show up at the airport with my bag and they will check it for free? Thank you.
myeurocrush is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.