Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by mbbarron
Do you feel like looking up something else? $ for these AerLingus flights are pretty low - just curious what it would cost in Avios + fees? TIA!
EI IAD - NAP May 7
EI NAP - IAD May 15
(I tried submitting a screenshot but I'm such a newbie that I need 5 posts before I can include a pic.)
I am hanging my hat on the flame free qualifier here as this is not an AA booking but a lot of substance for AA newbies in learning how to make partner currencies dance for you. Having said that, I am wondering how a direct Aer Lingus booking with avois would price out, rather than booking through the partner BA. I know I saw some bang out off peak Avios fares to Ireland. Maybe worth a try. I have never done an Avios.com booking myself. The website is pretty flakey. But sometimes that incredible deal is just one extra step away.

Last edited by EZTraveler; Jan 8, 2024 at 8:11 pm Reason: My terrible grammar
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:48 am

Jokes aside, actually asking for a friend here. She's a UA Plat interested in the status match with AA and wants to know if she can only match into AA Plat pro with the status challenge, or if they'd offer higher quarterly thresholds for Exec Plat as well. Oh also, is early a Feb a good time to request the challenge?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:11 pm

Hey FT fam, a little help is needed. I think I might be rebooking my flight to GYE. It seems a little unstable right now and will rebook to a few months out. Maybe May. Should I call for this? I initially booked first/business on the outbound, and economy on the inbound. While also upgrading the second leg of the inbound to business class. Is this easier online or a call? Thank you
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:49 am

Is [Middle East]-[Asia 2]-[Asia 1] a valid AAdvantage through award routing? I haven't seen this particular scenario in the list of "third region" exceptions, but some economy routings seem to price (like DOH-xMNL-HND). I'm interested in something but it's in premium cabins and it's not all showing at AA.com so before I call up I'd like to know if it's possible.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:37 am

Hi all, I am newbie and I am looking for cheap flight from Poland. Can you let me know if FD still works? Additionally, which price is "fine" for BKK or another asia countries from Poland?

thank you in advance for your support here!
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by BernardBlack
Is [Middle East]-[Asia 2]-[Asia 1] a valid AAdvantage through award routing? I haven't seen this particular scenario in the list of "third region" exceptions, but some economy routings seem to price (like DOH-xMNL-HND). I'm interested in something but it's in premium cabins and it's not all showing at AA.com so before I call up I'd like to know if it's possible.
That should be ok, AFAIK. AA.com often won't show complex routings like that, so not surprising it's not showing up. If youbsee award availability on each of your segments then give AA a call and see how it prices out.
BernardBlack likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by EZTraveler
I am hanging my hat on the flame free qualifier here as this is not an AA booking but a lot of substance for AA newbies in learning how to make partner currencies dance for you. Having said that, I am wondering how a direct Aer Lingus booking with avios would price out, rather than booking through the partner BA. I know I saw some bang out off peak Avios fares to Ireland. Maybe worth a try. I have never done an Avios.com booking myself. The website is pretty flakey. But sometimes that incredible deal is just one extra step away.
Originally Posted by EZTraveler
I am hanging my hat on the flame free qualifier here as this is not an AA booking but a lot of substance for AA newbies in learning how to make partner currencies dance for you. Having said that, I am wondering how a direct Aer Lingus booking with avios would price out, rather than booking through the partner BA. I know I saw some bang out off peak Avios fares to Ireland. Maybe worth a try. I have never done an Avios.com booking myself. The website is pretty flakey. But sometimes that incredible deal is just one extra step away.
Thank you for checking and yes I realized after I posted that I'm probably in the wrong section of the forum for that question. So TY for the flame free pass!

I'm just trying to find the best deal for me (cheapest with good flight times) to fly 2pp from the East Coast to NAP on either May 7-May 15 or June 10-19. Home airport is BWI but PHL, IAD, DCA, (even NYC airports if it's compelling with total travel time) all work. I will have approx 80K AA miles once bonus is deposited in about 4 weeks. Looking for ideas from the experts. The most compelling flight is the direct on AA from PHL (which is a new segment that starts early June). So right now I'm leaning toward one person with points (72.5K rt Main cabin) and the other with $, but the cost is outrageous for economy $1,556. Would we even be able to sit together?

Hubby is trying to convince me to go in May instead (our 25th anniversary is in mid June) and just pay for the AerLingus flight from IAD and save the points. Doesn't seem compelling to me.

Open to any and all suggestions! TIA!
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That should be ok, AFAIK. AA.com often won't show complex routings like that, so not surprising it's not showing up. If youbsee award availability on each of your segments then give AA a call and see how it prices out.
After a 30-minute hold, the AAgent managed to get it priced with a minimum of fuss, and it prices the same as a nonstop itinerary. So I have DOH-xBKK-HND in F the whole way (QR then JL), for 50k AAdvantage miles and negligible taxes.

Now I just have to wait for it to ticket.

Is it safe to select seats at QR and JL sites while I wait, or should I not touch that until it's ticketed? I can see the reservation on both their apps.
JJeffrey and pandaperth like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by BernardBlack
After a 30-minute hold, the AAgent managed to get it priced with a minimum of fuss, and it prices the same as a nonstop itinerary. So I have DOH-xBKK-HND in F the whole way (QR then JL), for 50k AAdvantage miles and negligible taxes.

Now I just have to wait for it to ticket.

Is it safe to select seats at QR and JL sites while I wait, or should I not touch that until it's ticketed? I can see the reservation on both their apps.
You can select seats if it will let you. On some carriers you can't though until it fully tickets.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:20 am

OK, it was the case that I could see the seat maps but not choose seats before ticketing. But it's all ticketed now and I have selected seats.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:53 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
2 seperate tickets with irrop.

Did a little searching and I understand that they likely will be treated as separate flights (and are as such from a legal:regulatory standpoint) but was wondering if anyone had experience with AA when a member books a trip from City A to city B, and than has a seperate trip booked 2 days later from City B to City c. If the trip from A to B is cancelled or delayed for numerous days will they ever accommodate from city a to city c. The delay would be weather so out of the airlines hands. Essentially my spouse and I at going to Cancun but first we needed to drive my daughter back to Buffalo for college semester start. We had both planned on flying together from city b to city c (Buffalo to Cancun) but the weather in the Midwest put a stop to that since I had to leave earlier this week to beat the weather and she can’t leave until after work today. I saw this playing out last weekend so I booked my spouse a points ticket to Buffalo (and checked the weather in the connecting cities- so we avoided ord). If she can’t get to Buffalo any chance the airlines would book her to Cancun? I’m guessing not but wondered if anyone else had a similar experience. Hopefully she can still make her flight tomorrow and we can travel together but was looking at backup plans. (Before i booked her point flight I did looked at changing her ticket to leave from home to Cancun but it would have have doubled the cost of her ticket at this point and no point routings that didn’t involve 2 stops and all day travel
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:38 am

Any idea if AA going to devalue miles soon?

When was the last time AA miles were devalued?

Tks
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by kklems
Did a little searching and I understand that they likely will be treated as separate flights (and are as such from a legal:regulatory standpoint) but was wondering if anyone had experience with AA when a member books a trip from City A to city B, and than has a seperate trip booked 2 days later from City B to City c. If the trip from A to B is cancelled or delayed for numerous days will they ever accommodate from city a to city c. The delay would be weather so out of the airlines hands. Essentially my spouse and I at going to Cancun but first we needed to drive my daughter back to Buffalo for college semester start. We had both planned on flying together from city b to city c (Buffalo to Cancun) but the weather in the Midwest put a stop to that since I had to leave earlier this week to beat the weather and she can’t leave until after work today. I saw this playing out last weekend so I booked my spouse a points ticket to Buffalo (and checked the weather in the connecting cities- so we avoided ord). If she can’t get to Buffalo any chance the airlines would book her to Cancun? I’m guessing not but wondered if anyone else had a similar experience. Hopefully she can still make her flight tomorrow and we can travel together but was looking at backup plans. (Before i booked her point flight I did looked at changing her ticket to leave from home to Cancun but it would have have doubled the cost of her ticket at this point and no point routings that didn’t involve 2 stops and all day travel
Short answer is, the waiver should be good for both flights, but they won’t treat it as one PNR, so your best recourse would be a refund and then booking a new flights, which is seems you did, but there isn’t anyway you’d get a discount/free destination change from it.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:31 am

Can I switch attached FF# for a reward flight?

I booked a reward flight for American Airlines to CDG for this summer a few months ago. I recently got MVP status for Alaska. Can I switch the attached FF# program for my ticket to Alaska for an award redemption flight? If I can, I'm assuming I'll get the OneWorld Ruby benefits then? Will I earn Alaska mileage for the flight?
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Any idea if AA going to devalue miles soon?
Now that’s the million mile question. In general there are only three things that are certain in life: death, taxes and loyalty program devaluations.

No one knows, many speculate. I think conventional wisdom is that partner awards are “due” for a devaluation. Don’t save your miles for “fun travel after retirement“. Earn and burn.
HawaiiO likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.