Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old May 20, 2024, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
Interesting! I had no idea AA restricted to certain OW members.
Does this MCE benefit apply to BE? I'm asking because of this article (link) that says Alaska elites don't get MCE seats on BE fares.. but is it outdated? And if it's true, is it limited to AS elites?
I can't tell you exactly if you get the "MCE benefit", or you get OWE benefits, which end up being the same as the MCE benefits.
When I book a mileage ticket on AA through AS website (domestic), OR use my AS frequent flyer number and pay for tickets on AAs website, I can select any seat behind FC AFTER the ticket is booked. I also get a checked bag for free if I need it.
You have to change your seat to MCE, I do it in the AA app, AFTER you book the ticket.
Just checked, next 6 AA flights, 3 booked on mileage, 3 booked in Basic. In a MCE seat on all of them.
My OWE is through AS, YMMV.
spiritkat09 likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 10:58 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I booked an award ticket about an hour ago, and the reservation still has not ticketed (it says Ticket Pending). How long does this usually take? Am I SOL if it fails to ticket, or should I call AA after a reasonable amount of time has passed (ie a day) to see what's going on and/or push it through?
Old May 21, 2024, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by diburning
I booked an award ticket about an hour ago, and the reservation still has not ticketed (it says Ticket Pending). How long does this usually take? Am I SOL if it fails to ticket, or should I call AA after a reasonable amount of time has passed (ie a day) to see what's going on and/or push it through?
Is this a partner award or an AA-only award?

AA-only awards typically ticket pretty quickly, although depending on exactly when you book it they can sometimes take up to 24 hrs or so.

But partner awards can take days/weeks to ticket depending on how far off the flight is.

Regardless having an award take longer than 1 hr to ticket is 100% normal with AA. Nothing to worry about and you are not going to lose your seat even if the award takes weeks to ticket.
Old May 21, 2024, 7:19 am

On the note of MCE seating, I am looking for answers on how a booking would work when I exceed the maximum number of complimentary companions. In my case, I am looking to book an international (continental US to Caribbean) RT Basic Economy fare (AA marketed and operated) for 10 travelers including myself. I am Plat Pro. Per program rules, I can select MCE seats for myself and 8 travel companions for no charge at the time of booking. If I actually have a 9th companion in addition to me, will I be offered no complimentary MCE seats, will I be able to select 9 and be charged for the 10th or something different??
Old May 21, 2024, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EZTraveler
On the note of MCE seating, I am looking for answers on how a booking would work when I exceed the maximum number of complimentary companions. In my case, I am looking to book an international (continental US to Caribbean) RT Basic Economy fare (AA marketed and operated) for 10 travelers including myself. I am Plat Pro. Per program rules, I can select MCE seats for myself and 8 travel companions for no charge at the time of booking. If I actually have a 9th companion in addition to me, will I be offered no complimentary MCE seats, will I be able to select 9 and be charged for the 10th or something different??
The maximum number of pax you can put on one PNR at aa.com is 9, so that is where this limitation comes from.

If you book 9 pax on one PNR and another pax on a separate PNR, I truly have no idea if you would be able to just call AA and have an agent move that pax into a MCE/preferred seat next to you for no charge. If this were not a BE fare then I would think so, but I'm not sure how a BE fare behaves in this regard.
EZTraveler likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond
Does anyone know how to file a baggage damage claim online if you did NOT file one at the airport first? My LHR-LAX flight was delayed over 3 hours on Saturday and by the time my damaged bag arrived on the carousel (the handle is now bent so it cannot be pushed all the way into the top of the suitcase) I didn't even consider filing a claim on the spot.

On AA's site, the form I found to fill out appears to require an incident number which I would have gotten if I had filed the claim in person. is there a way around this? Can I just email my info (pix of the bag - before and after, bag purchase receipts, boarding pass, etc) to anyone (is there a good contact email address)? Or is there another website to use which isn't requiring the incident number?

I do realize I may be out of luck because I didn't file the claim at LAX.

THis is the claim site I found:

https://centralbaggage.aa.com/en-US/submit-claim/

Many thanks.

Last edited by squiddz; May 21, 2024 at 10:26 am Reason: Adding claim site URL
Old May 21, 2024, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
If I have a connecting itinerary, and I show up for same day standby for earlier flights on the same routing (ATL-MIA-TPA) is it standby for both earlier flights?

Any way to get confirmed all the way through as EXP? (Either the night before the travel date, or before I show up at the airport on the travel date?)

(Original ticket is RT, with the outbound already completed)
Old May 21, 2024, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The maximum number of pax you can put on one PNR at aa.com is 9, so that is where this limitation comes from.

If you book 9 pax on one PNR and another pax on a separate PNR, I truly have no idea if you would be able to just call AA and have an agent move that pax into a MCE/preferred seat next to you for no charge. If this were not a BE fare then I would think so, but I'm not sure how a BE fare behaves in this regard.
Wow, I'm surprised this was not fixed ahead of Y2K issues. Funny how the world works, but this is good information for planning. TY!!
Old May 21, 2024, 9:21 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Is this a partner award or an AA-only award?

AA-only awards typically ticket pretty quickly, although depending on exactly when you book it they can sometimes take up to 24 hrs or so.

But partner awards can take days/weeks to ticket depending on how far off the flight is.

Regardless having an award take longer than 1 hr to ticket is 100% normal with AA. Nothing to worry about and you are not going to lose your seat even if the award takes weeks to ticket.
Weeks would be an issue since it was (at the time) a booking for 3 days away! It ended up ticketing after about two and a half hours, after I had already gone to bed. I just thought that was unusual since my previous AA award bookings ticketed either right away or within a few minutes. This was booked as a go-home set of flights (after a big change of plans) at a strangely low award rate for such a close-in booking. The flights are all AA (Eagle operated by Republic)
Old May 22, 2024, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
Weeks would be an issue since it was (at the time) a booking for 3 days away! It ended up ticketing after about two and a half hours, after I had already gone to bed. I just thought that was unusual since my previous AA award bookings ticketed either right away or within a few minutes. This was booked as a go-home set of flights (after a big change of plans) at a strangely low award rate for such a close-in booking. The flights are all AA (Eagle operated by Republic)
For sure which is why I mentioned that it depends on how far off the flight is. Partner awards that are months away can sometimes take the days/weeks to ticket, but for travel closer in they will of course ticket much quicker. On Friday I booked a BA/AA partner award about 20 hrs in advance of the first flight and it ticketed almost immediately.
Old May 23, 2024, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HYATT Globalist, HH Diamond, AA Plat Pro, MR Lifetime Plat
OK not so newbie here but long time Mileage guy.....25+ years.

I recently switch back to AA from UA for a few years and racked up a lot of miles and decided it's time to use them.

Haven't redeemed International on AA.com in years. (Domestic many times).

Is it me or does it seem AA.com is almost useless for Business class Travel on partners? What am I missing?

It have tried BOS, ORD, JFK, PHL, CLT, YYZ to dozens of international locations (EU, Aisa, Africa) on MULTIPLE months in Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr (1st half only open) for 2025.
I have tried outbound and returns.

Either nothing available at all (other than econ) or overnight in London or like 4 stops. very few direct.

I realize without dates, airports it is tough for you readers to give a judgment on what is going on.

I guess I am looking for "best practices" - I mean by calling AA will that open up partner metal with nonstop routes? Am I missing that key to this rubic's cube?
I am happy to call if that is the missing link. Just sad I can't seem to find what I want on AA.com....and please trust me - I have tried dozens and dozens of date / airport alternate options...

Please advise and thank you....long term member here just haven't seemed to have this issue in the past.
Old May 23, 2024, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tasnam
Is it me or does it seem AA.com is almost useless for Business class Travel on partners? What am I missing?

It have tried BOS, ORD, JFK, PHL, CLT, YYZ to dozens of international locations (EU, Aisa, Africa) on MULTIPLE months in Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr (1st half only open) for 2025.
I have tried outbound and returns.

Either nothing available at all (other than econ) or overnight in London or like 4 stops. very few direct.

I realize without dates, airports it is tough for you readers to give a judgment on what is going on.

I guess I am looking for "best practices" - I mean by calling AA will that open up partner metal with nonstop routes? Am I missing that key to this rubic's cube?
I am happy to call if that is the missing link. Just sad I can't seem to find what I want on AA.com....and please trust me - I have tried dozens and dozens of date / airport alternate options...
Partner space in general is hard to find, you really need to focus on where you're trying to go as there are nuances to how you search different partners and destinations. I would suggest narrowing down what you're looking for then posting in the applicable threads linked below where you'll get much more help:

Asia: JL is the only partner releasing any meaningful availability, but JL releases a few seats right when the booking window opens 12 mos out, and a few seats within about 14 days of the flight, but not much else in between. So if you're looking 8 months out you're unlikely to find anything.

Africa/ME: QR and EY release some space but it can be hard to find, though not impossible, and at times seems to come in waves.

Europe: Is there a reason you want partner space? AA is arguably just as good as BA, IB, etc. and doesn't charge the exorbitant fees. Business award space on AA is actually decent at the moment, with ok deals out there. For example the very first date I searched in January for NYC-FRA revealed LGA-CLT-FRA for 54k in business class, which is a great deal.

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY (master thread July 2017 onwards)

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thread)
EmailKid likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
If I have a connecting itinerary, and I show up for same day standby for earlier flights on the same routing (ATL-MIA-TPA) is it standby for both earlier flights?
Answer: I was put on standby for the earlier outbound flight, and also an earlier connecting flight. If I did not make it on either, the standby would just roll to the next flight. Fortunately I was lucky to make it on both, even though they were showing 0 inventory on ExpertFlyer.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, HYATT Globalist, HH Diamond, AA Plat Pro, MR Lifetime Plat
Thank you very much for the response.

Second quick question - If I fly on AA metal in the USA but don't want to earn AA points....what is the "best" recommended partner to earn on here in the USA?

IB, Jordanian, BA, other(?) for best points use (other than earning AA miles) and status for upgrades (if even possible) - note I am currently Platinum Pro with Executive AA credit card (for lounge access).

Thanks so much for the help - I do appreciate it.
Old May 23, 2024, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tasnam
Thank you very much for the response.

Second quick question - If I fly on AA metal in the USA but don't want to earn AA points....what is the "best" recommended partner to earn on here in the USA?

IB, Jordanian, BA, other(?) for best points use (other than earning AA miles) and status for upgrades (if even possible) - note I am currently Platinum Pro with Executive AA credit card (for lounge access).

Thanks so much for the help - I do appreciate it.
Do not expect free upgrades on AA with status on a different FFP -- other than AS's.

Depending on your travel patterns, you might be able to achieve status with Iberia -- especially if you usually fly in paid First/Business on AA. But then you would be earning Avios, not AAdvantage miles; many redemptions with Avios come with hefty carrier surcharges. Mid-tier status with foreign oneworld FFPs would get you lounge access when flying within U.S.; you could then ditch your expensive AA credit card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.