Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old May 18, 2024, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
AAdvantage Platinum and BAEC Silver (and Iberia Plus Oro, for that matter) all get you free checked baggage on AA, free Main Cabin Extra seats on AA, access to Business Class check-in desks, and priority boarding. BAEC Silver and Iberia Oro would also give you access to Admirals Club lounges when flying domestically in the U.S. AAdvantage Platinum would give you a chance at free upgrades when flying AA in Economy; how much of a chance would depend on the particular route, date, etc. Potential upgrades, of course, are irrelevant if you always buy F.

Reports indicate that even with an AAdvantage number in your PNR, you should be able to access Admirals Club lounges by showing your BAEC Silver (digital?) card.

Many U.S.-based travelers consider AAdvantage miles more valuable than Avios.
Thank you, succinct and to the point…unlike AA and BA’s rambling missives on these things. I agree on AA miles vs Avios, but BAEC Sliver is generally miles (and dollars) more achievable than AA Plat for me, other than the 4 segment matter.
Old May 18, 2024, 10:11 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TxDucky
Can someone explain the permutations of OW Sapphine AA vs non-AA in a manner that makes sense? I’ve read a number of “explanations”, and am trying to balance the question of AA Plat vs BA Silver. Based in the U.S., so the 4 segments come into play, but the TP appear easily reachable with a couple of AS F jaunts. Am I correct in understanding that a domestic trip with an AA FF# wouldn’t impede use of the OWS from BA for lounge access?
The TLDR: Non AA/AS sapphire/emerald gets lounge access on domestic US itineraries, and AA/AS.status gets upgrades on domestic US itineraries.

Lounge access is the one where it doesn't matter where you're crediting.
TxDucky likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TxDucky
Thank you, succinct and to the point…unlike AA and BA’s rambling missives on these things. I agree on AA miles vs Avios, but BAEC Sliver is generally miles (and dollars) more achievable than AA Plat for me, other than the 4 segment matter.
Check out the Iberia Plus program then. Iberia does not require any flights on its own metal to attain status.
TxDucky likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TxDucky , note that when crediting to BA (or IB), AS First Class -- and AA First Class on two-class flights -- earn Tier Points/Elite Points as Business Class flights, not as First Class flights.
TxDucky likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 12:01 pm

Thanks, JJeffrey.

To close the loop on this- I did try to call again and once again no luck adding the HEL-CDG leg. I then cancelled my CLT-DFW-HEL reservation and noticed that it immediately went back into inventory. I then called AA back and had them try to book the entire trip CLT-DFW-HEL-CDG, which they did no problem.
While I am sure I would have eventually got an agent who could help add the HEL-CDG- I didn't feel like spending my day on the phone with AA.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 12:37 pm

Programs: Diamond DL
hello everyone, i have a QUICK question
I have some AA miles from many years. Now i need to buy an award ticket from FCO to MAD which is 12.5k miles plus taxes
but because the flight is in december, lots of things can change
I don't fly neither earn AA miles since many years, so i have no status
If i cancel the award, will be totally refunded (miles+taxes) or only taxes?
thanks!!
Old May 18, 2024, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itamex
hello everyone, i have a QUICK question
I have some AA miles from many years. Now i need to buy an award ticket from FCO to MAD which is 12.5k miles plus taxes
but because the flight is in december, lots of things can change
I don't fly neither earn AA miles since many years, so i have no status
If i cancel the award, will be totally refunded (miles+taxes) or only taxes?
thanks!!
If you have neither earned nor redeemed AAdvantage miles in many years, then I expect that all of those miles have already expired.

But to answer your specific question, yes: all AAdvantage flight awards -- even those on partner carriers -- are now fully refundable with no fee, up until scheduled departure time.
itamex likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 12:54 pm

If you have neither earned nor redeemed AAdvantage miles in many years, then I expect that all of those miles have already expired.

But to answer your specific question, yes: all AAdvantage flight awards -- even those on partner carriers -- are now fully refundable with no fee, up until scheduled departure time.
thank you for the quick info!
every 18th months i did a donation to cancer research and kept my miles alives
pandaperth and TWA884 like this.
Old May 18, 2024, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you for the quick info!
every 18th months i did a donation to cancer research and kept my miles alives
Ah, very good. AAdvantage miles now expire after 24 months of non-activity. More importantly, redeeming for an award counts as activity, as does subsequently cancelling the same award and having the miles redeposited to your account.

By the way, if you have any Avios -- or credit-card points which can be converted to Avios -- the same flight which would cost 12,500 AA miles would cost just 7,500 Avios; cash component would be identical. The downside would be that both BA and IB charge fees for cancellation, so the higher-priced AAdvantage award gets you greater flexibility.
itamex likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 1:28 pm

tried many times buyng the award, i put italian website in italy, i do login in italian website but then when need credit card address, it says usa region, i click change to italy region and it all stars over again redirecting me to english website, doing login again ... tried on a pc from mexico and my other desktop remotly located in italy, same problem
i gave up
Old May 18, 2024, 1:29 pm

Programs: AY+ GOLD, BA BLUE, SAS MEMBER
Originally Posted by S80
The TLDR: Non AA/AS sapphire/emerald gets lounge access on domestic US itineraries, and AA/AS.status gets upgrades on domestic US itineraries.

Lounge access is the one where it doesn't matter where you're crediting.
Thanks for this information. I'm trying it out the next time. Last time in Seattle AS didn't allow me let into the lounge with the domestic ticket. As I shown the international ticket from the flight before they let me in.
Old May 18, 2024, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tried many times buyng the award, i put italian website in italy, i do login in italian website but then when need credit card address, it says usa region, i click change to italy region and it all stars over again redirecting me to english website, doing login again ... tried on a pc from mexico and my other desktop remotly located in italy, same problem
i gave up
What country issued your credit card? If necessary, you can always call AA and have the award ticketed over the phone.
Old May 18, 2024, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kusi
Thanks for this information. I'm trying it out the next time. Last time in Seattle AS didn't allow me let into the lounge with the domestic ticket. As I shown the international ticket from the flight before they let me in.
I think that AS now requires that the foreign FFP number be in the PNR to get AS lounge access on wholly domestic itineraries. AA seems to have a more liberal policy.
Old May 18, 2024, 1:49 pm

What country issued your credit card? If necessary, you can always call AA and have the award ticketed over the phone.
italy, i am italian so all my cards are italy issued
but when buying award it redirects me to the USA AA.com , then i have to change region for my credit card italy and it all starts over and over
Old May 18, 2024, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

italy, i am italian so all my cards are italy issued
but when buying award it redirects me to the USA AA.com , then i have to change region for my credit card italy and it all starts over and over
Same issue on both the AA app, as well as on aa.com? How about with an incognito browser?

If worse comes to worst, you may have to call AA's Italy reservations phone number.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.