Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Apr 19, 2024, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by travelingDoc
I understand that airlines do not always like you to combine round-trips; would the following combination of round-trip tickets be frowned upon by AA/ BA?
  1. The first ticket is on AA: RDU-> LHR in late June, return in August
  2. The second is on BA: LHR-> JNB->LHR, all in July
FWIW, the reason for the two tickets is because they're being billed to different sources (the price is not significantly cheaper than putting it all on one ticket.)

Thanks in advance
No problem at all. You're not seeking to circumvent any requirements of either ticket's fare. You can even credit both trips to AAdvantage, BAEC, or some other oneworld FFP if you so desire.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by travelingDoc
I understand that airlines do not always like you to combine round-trips; would the following combination of round-trip tickets be frowned upon by AA/ BA?
  1. The first ticket is on AA: RDU-> LHR in late June, return in August
  2. The second is on BA: LHR-> JNB->LHR, all in July
FWIW, the reason for the two tickets is because they're being billed to different sources (the price is not significantly cheaper than putting it all on one ticket.)

Thanks in advance
If the RDU <-> LHR flight has a minimum time between flights they don't force you to stay in the UK but they don't like it if you fly LHR <=> RDU in between to get two shorter trips to London at a discount.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:46 pm

Were u booked an an AA flight or a JAL flight number. Codeshare with AA. If it was a JL flight, they may no longer be codesharing on that flight and hence the cancellation. Thats my guess as you might it from
JAL and they would always use *JL flights where available

you need to work this with JAL as thats where u purchased the tickets. Speculating what and using random terms is not going to get your issue solved.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No you haven't been bumped or anything like that. Really nothing to worry about, as noted above sometimes schedule changes can show up a bit wonky from one airline to another.

Just call JL (if you booked through JL) and ask to be put back on the 11:40am flight.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 5:07 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 777lover
Were u booked an an AA flight or a JAL flight number. Codeshare with AA. If it was a JL flight, they may no longer be codesharing on that flight and hence the cancellation. Thats my guess as you might it from
JAL and they would always use *JL flights where available

you need to work this with JAL as thats where u purchased the tickets. Speculating what and using random terms is not going to get your issue solved.
There's always the issue when airlines sub in a wet lease from another carrier as well. A ton of that going on with BA as they're wet leasing from DAT as well now (a long with Finnair, and previously Air Belgium) for random routes, and when they do they have to drop the codeshare.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 1:28 pm

Hi all! New to awards flights and this forum so go easy on me please : P I'm trying to get J/F flights for my partner and I for around this time next year. Details below:
  • Origin: BOS/NYC
  • Destination: TYO
  • Departure: ~ 03/15 - 04/01
  • Return: ~ Departure + 14 days
I had success getting some holds via AA for routes out of BOS and JFK but haven't managed to get 2 J/F yet. What I've held so far:
  1. BOS > NRT (03/11/25): 1x J, 1x PE
  2. JFK > SFO > HND (03/15/25): 1x F
I'm wondering what the likelihood is I'll be able to book 2 awards J/F at once is? From my reading it seems like seat releases are usually one at a time so it seems like I need to pick a route and hope for the best. Is that correct? I'd prefer the JFK route since that's F but fine with BOS J route as well since I got a J hold and PE hold already. I've been checking the AA calendar a few times a day, and am using seats.aero as well to check other routes. Any other places I should be checking or strategies to apply? FWIW I'm aware of Cathay as an option but the fees are so steep it doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 22, 2024, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by FirstClassMustache
Hi all! New to awards flights and this forum so go easy on me please : P I'm trying to get J/F flights for my partner and I for around this time next year. Details below:
  • Origin: BOS/NYC
  • Destination: TYO
  • Departure: ~ 03/15 - 04/01
  • Return: ~ Departure + 14 days
I had success getting some holds via AA for routes out of BOS and JFK but haven't managed to get 2 J/F yet. What I've held so far:
  1. BOS > NRT (03/11/25): 1x J, 1x PE
  2. JFK > SFO > HND (03/15/25): 1x F
I'm wondering what the likelihood is I'll be able to book 2 awards J/F at once is? From my reading it seems like seat releases are usually one at a time so it seems like I need to pick a route and hope for the best. Is that correct? I'd prefer the JFK route since that's F but fine with BOS J route as well since I got a J hold and PE hold already. I've been checking the AA calendar a few times a day, and am using seats.aero as well to check other routes. Any other places I should be checking or strategies to apply? FWIW I'm aware of Cathay as an option but the fees are so steep it doesn't seem worth it.
If you are flexible with dates and connection cities then with JL there's a decent chance that you'll find something where both of you can get on the same flight. However unless you just get really (really) lucky you're not going to be able to fully piece your trip together until much closer to the departure date.

JL doesn't release much F/J award inventory until about 14 days before the flight. If you're already booked 1 J or 1 F seat now then it's unlikely that any further space will be released on those exact flights until much closer in. So just book what you can now, then keep an eye on it, though checking multiple times per day is overkill this far in advance.

Also spend some time to read through the long running JL award thread below.

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thread)
Old Apr 22, 2024, 1:57 pm

Thanks JJeffery! Appreciate the quick and helpful reply. My SO won't love the notion of planning a trip based on T-14 but I'll try to help them understand. Will check out that thread as well.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
A friend was travelling from ORD to LHR on a day flight, the aircraft returned to ORD with a technical problem and my friend arrived home at 6am rather than 10pm so 8 hours late, she complained and just received an apology, is that all she should expect?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
A friend was travelling from ORD to LHR on a day flight, the aircraft returned to ORD with a technical problem and my friend arrived home at 6am rather than 10pm so 8 hours late, she complained and just received an apology, is that all she should expect?
Was your friend's AAdvantage number in her reservation record? If so, it's possible that she could receive some AAdvantage miles as a customer-service gesture for the inconvenience, if she responds to the "apology" email, which might have been computer generated.

If her flight were an AA codeshare actually operated by British Airways, she would normally be entitled to claim UK 261 compensation for a mechanical delay. So, too, if she were traveling on an AA-operated flight in the opposite direction (i.e., from LHR to ORD).
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a BA codeshare operated by AA, she wasnt given and hotel accommodation just food vouchers at the airport.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a BA codeshare operated by AA, she wasnt given and hotel accommodation just food vouchers at the airport.
I'm not surprised that AA did not provide hotel accommodations for a daytime delay. I doubt that other U.S. carriers would have done any differently.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I gave you incorrect information the flight originally departed at 8.10am and she was delayed until 4pm, my apologies
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I gave you incorrect information the flight originally departed at 8.10am and she was delayed until 4pm, my apologies
No, that's consistent with what you originally wrote. Essentially, an eight-hour, daytime delay.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
No, that's consistent with what you originally wrote. Essentially, an eight-hour, daytime delay.
She is a BA Executive Card holder, should she expect anything?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She is a BA Executive Card holder, should she expect anything?
I doubt it, but she could respond to AA's initial email, and see if a human at AA offers something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.