Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Apr 17, 2024, 3:09 am

Loyalty Point earning Q....

Can somebody explain ... happened here? I'm Plat Pro.. Just flew DFW-DEL last week and this is what posted. It seems massively low given it's 8600 miles and a $1200 ticket. DFW-JFK I got... 81 LP's???

Overall summary

Old Apr 17, 2024, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I'm EXP and my P2 has no status. However, we each have several hundred K miles. We are looking at a one way flight DEN-PHL-ZRH in J together. I would like to save more of my miles for future trips since I do more traveling. What are the advantages of booking J award tickets either seperately or both on her account using her miles? Since we are already in the highest cabin, would it even make any difference as to the status of the booking account?
It makes zero difference which account you book the tickets from. This is the case for both award and paid tickets.

As long as you are a pax and your AA# is in the reservation then you will receive all of your normal status benefits and such no different than if you made the reservation using your miles.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
Can somebody explain ... happened here? I'm Plat Pro.. Just flew DFW-DEL last week and this is what posted. It seems massively low given it's 8600 miles and a $1200 ticket. DFW-JFK I got... 81 LP's???
For an international itinerary like this it's common for the domestic connecting segment to earn a low amount of LP's as a majority of the fare breakout is placed on the long haul segment.

As a PLT Pro you earn 9 LP's per dollar for AA flights (total fare minus taxes and some fees). The fact that it was 8,600 miles flight distance is irrelevant. For a $1200 fare to DEL I would expect you to earn around 10,350 LP's ($1150 9).

Was the $1200 a one-way or roundtrip? If roundtrip, then the remaining LP's should be posted once you fly the return segments.

But if it was a one-way then it does seem low. To get it fixed call AAdvantage Customer Service (800-882-8880, not the usual reservations number) and tell them your miles and LP earning for a recent trip was off.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For an international itinerary like this it's common for the domestic connecting segment to earn a low amount of LP's as a majority of the fare breakout is placed on the long haul segment.

As a PLT Pro you earn 9 LP's per dollar for AA flights (total fare minus taxes and some fees). The fact that it was 8,600 miles flight distance is irrelevant. For a $1200 fare to DEL I would expect you to earn around 10,350 LP's ($1150 9).

Was the $1200 a one-way or roundtrip? If roundtrip, then the remaining LP's should be posted once you fly the return segments.

But if it was a one-way then it does seem low. To get it fixed call AAdvantage Customer Service (800-882-8880, not the usual reservations number) and tell them your miles and LP earning for a recent trip was off.
$1200 was RT...
Has it always been fare based or is that a new change? In Feb I flew DFW-STL (1100 miles) for $728. I earned 5800 LP's for that trip. But I fly halfway around the world and only earn 10k?? That's absolutely absurd.

Old Apr 17, 2024, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$1200 was RT...
Has it always been fare based or is that a new change? In Feb I flew DFW-STL (1100 miles) for $728. I earned 5800 LP's for that trip. But I fly halfway around the world and only earn 10k?? That's absolutely absurd.
Since the $1200 was roundtrip you will see your remaining LP's post once you fly the return portion.

Absurd or not, for AA flights distance no longer matters when it comes to the miles and LP's you earn. Everything is based on how much you spend. It's been this way for at least 6 or 7 years now. A $700 flight to STL will earn the same as a $700 flight to DEL.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 7:08 am

Since the $1200 was roundtrip you will see your remaining LP's post once you fly the return portion.

Absurd or not, for AA flights distance no longer matters when it comes to the miles and LP's you earn. Everything is based on how much you spend. It's been this way for at least 6 or 7 years now. A $700 flight to STL will earn the same as a $700 flight to DEL.
TY sir. I guess this is the first year I've actually travelled since before Covid when status was mileage-based. 2 flights to India back then was basically PLAT status. Now it's worth... halfway to Gold?

Actually, what's more absurd is the fact that I earned 8k LP for my $100 subscription to MotleyFool- about the same as spending $1200 and 40 hours on AA metal. I really cannot comprehend how this is a loyalty plan for frequent flyers anymore....

Last edited by Umrswimr; Apr 17, 2024 at 7:17 am
Old Apr 17, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Actually, what's more absurd is the fact that I earned 8k LP for my $100 subscription to MotleyFool- about the same as spending $1200 and 40 hours on AA metal. I really cannot comprehend how this is a loyalty plan for frequent flyers anymore....
It is a loyalty plan for spenders on AA cards. Whether flying on AA metal or buying something else.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
When the aircraft is 772-Boeing 777, which 777 is that (DFW-FCO)? I’m just wanting to see what J looks like or read a review. The other option (but not my ideal date) is the 787.

And for the 777, would two middles or two windows or aisle and window be best for couples?

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Apr 17, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Old Apr 17, 2024, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
When the aircraft is 772-Boeing 777, which 777 is that (DFW-FCO)? Im just wanting to see what J looks like or read a review. The other option (but not my ideal date) is the 787.

And for the 777, would two middles or two windows or aisle and window be best for couples?
The 772's have 2 different possible business configurations just like the 788's. You won't know which config you're getting until around 2 days before the flight and even then it can change.

For the purposes of looking up reviews and pics the seats and service on the 772 will be basically the same as the 787 (both configurations).

And for a couple the center seats are best and will allow you to converse. The only way you can see each other or converse with two windows or an aisle/window is to awkwardly lean out into the aisle or stand up and look over the seat etc.

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)
Old Apr 18, 2024, 2:37 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold
I’m trying to book my meals for Trans-Atlantic J class. Every time I attempt to do it I get an error and asked to try again later. I’ve tried via both the website and the app on my phone. Any suggestions? I’m sat in the last row of J so I’d prefer to secure my meal Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by flyingbee
Im trying to book my meals for Trans-Atlantic J class. Every time I attempt to do it I get an error and asked to try again later. Ive tried via both the website and the app on my phone. Any suggestions? Im sat in the last row of J so Id prefer to secure my meal Thanks.
There have been reports of issues with the pre-ordering system recently. If you get close to your flight and still haven't been able to pre-order via the app or the website, then try calling in.
flyingbee likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 9:13 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I took advantage of British Airways recent status match challenge offer, mainly for AA lounge access for domestic flights. Matched UA Gold to BA Silver, took a few days, BA mobile app has a terrible reputation and its difficult (if not impossible) to add a BA Silver card to Apple Wallet, saved a copy of my (new) BA Silver card to iPhone photos. Im LT Plat on AA (HT BankDirect/Bask Bank and bunch of CC SUBs prior to 2012). My AA travel is predominantly AA award flights, mostly domestic econ, LHR biz 2-3 times annually, 1 or 2 long-haul international biz annually. BA congratulations email states Your Silver membership card is now purely digital. so no physical card available. On those rare occasions when I pay for an AA flight I like to have the RDMs credited to AA. I doubt Ill meet the requirements to extend BA status beyond 6 months.

How should I plan to attempt Admirals Club (AC) entry when flying domestic AA flights (for the next 6 months)? For an award ticket try to add BA number to record locator/boarding pass after award ticket issued? For a paid ticket use the BA number until AC entry and then change it (back) to AA number? Keep AA number on BP and show BA card image at AC? Something else? Thank you.

BREAK

AA website information regarding checked bag with limits are difficult to navigate and understand. Just read (on a blog) that BA Silver status allows up to 70lbs complimentary checked bag (for skiing I pack ski boots inside a 26 suitcase which invariably ends up weighing 51-53 lbs). Is that on BA or AA? Ive previously been told by AA check-in agents that (as Plat) Im limited to 50 lbs complementary (why I mostly fly UA for skiing, UA allows elites up to 70 lbs complimentary). Should BA status or AA status allow more than 50 lbs complimentary on AA US domestic flights?

Thanks very much again.

(Oh yeah, gotta add that Im highly prejudiced against BA due to their outrageous surcharges on award flights, particularly AA awards on BA metal. I have a 6 figure BA balance, all from CC SUBs, use BA miles mainly (? only) for short European flights after (usually) flying to LHR on AA award/metal.)
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:39 pm

Call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the usual reservations number, 800-882-8880).
Just to report back for posterity sake. This number is not the actual one, but the agent was nice enough to patch me through to the correct department.
He understood the problem, cancelled my original wrong crediting and then resubmitted a new one.
He asked me for my BP and wanted me to reply to his email immediately with a photo, but I did not have it with me, but he was nice and said it was just to be 100% sure I could get it. Call took about 25 minutes, in addition to the 25 minute hold.
The email of my submission came in before he hang up, and 3 days later the correct credit appears in my account, without submitting any material. After having dealt with many airlines such as AS not replying my email for missing credit after 1.5 months, SQ agent telling me B6 is not their partner out of sheer ignorance or lying, or multi-day adventures on AC phone lines, honestly AAdvantage is not bad.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beyounged
Just to report back for posterity sake. This number is not the actual one, but the agent was nice enough to patch me through to the correct department.
800-882-8880 is definitely the correct number for AAdvantage Customer Service, but when you call you have to make sure to follow the correct menu prompts for AAdvantage account service, otherwise the phone system sends you to the normal reservations agents.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 4:08 pm

I understand that airlines do not always like you to combine round-trips; would the following combination of round-trip tickets be frowned upon by AA/ BA?
  1. The first ticket is on AA: RDU-> LHR in late June, return in August
  2. The second is on BA: LHR-> JNB->LHR, all in July
FWIW, the reason for the two tickets is because they're being billed to different sources (the price is not significantly cheaper than putting it all on one ticket.)

Thanks in advance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.