Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Apr 15, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
An an EXP on a main fare, who could've picked an MCE seat if one was available, will FA charge me for a cocktail?
As an EXP you get a free drink and snack in economy class regardless of where you're sitting.

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)
WannaTheater likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884
Deadheading crew members flying on duty to work a flight from another airport have UPGE upgrade priority, which is below any frequent flyer with status. Deadheading pilots are guaranteed first class seating by contract, thus their names will not appear in the upgrade list.

The only thing that I can think of is a connecting passenger who will not appear on the upgrade list until after they had been issued a boarding pass for their previous flight.

As to why your wife is no longer just below you on the priority list, I haven't a clue.
I would have understood if I got bumped to 2 from 1 and just assumed it was a pilot, a crew member or another passenger with higher rolling LP total. But I stayed at one, new passenger went to 2 and spouse went to 3. That was what was confusing me. In pre-LP scheme I can remember having to not associate a FF # with P2 so they maintained my status but I thought that was no longer a thing in the new system. I do get that people can jump in and off the list as flights change but I was and still am confused why the new passenger would land between us since he wasn't higher enough of status to be ahead of me and thus by default my spouse should have had my higher status and remained ahead. In the end we both got upgraded but I want to make sure I fully understand how the system works for future trips. Sometimes I will use the F buy up option to make sure I am (we are) in F and other times being a EP I just wait and see what happens. I have started to see patterns on certain flights pairings between the two cities where I am almost always upgraded (ie OMA-LGA which this flight was), some 50/50 (OMA-ORD) (Oma-LAX) (OMA-PHX) and other where I am almost never upgraded (OMA-DFW) I also than would have to look at cities beyond the connections but those vary route to route and I don't have enough trips to the same cities to see patterns yet
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
regarding mileage multiplier - i understand that there are no loyalty pts for this...but is this a cheaper way to get miles rather than actually flying?also what comes up on the credit card when you purchase this-is it just american airlines?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:05 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
regarding mileage multiplier - i understand that there are no loyalty pts for this...but is this a cheaper way to get miles rather than actually flying?also what comes up on the credit card when you purchase this-is it just american airlines?
With the dollar-based accumulation of mileage these days it may well be cheaper to just buy them rather than flying an extra flight. And I don't know about Delta or the others but United has its own version of mileage accelerator, which can be OK if you need some extra miles.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
While I've never compared the cost/mile for this method to see if it is good or bad (my guess is not good), the tried and true ways to accumulate miles without flying are through AA's travel partners, or AA's shopping partners. My go-to places are AAdvantageeshopping.com, or AAdvantagehotels.com, where you get both redeemable miles and LPs.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:25 pm

About 2 months ago I booked a flight AA/JL RDU-JFK-HND-SIN-HND-JFK-RDU. Then about a month ago was told the JFK-RDU flight at 11:40am 1/14/25 was canceled so we were changed to 3:30pm. Today I was checking to see if the price of our JL flight had changed. And I looked at the AA flight that was rescheduled. I still see the original 11:40am flight on the AA calendar and I don't even see our new flight at 3:30pm as an option on the JL website. I know this trip is not for 6 months. But can I trust the flight information I see today? Would AA keep a flight on the schedule after it's been canceled? Is something funny going on?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
About 2 months ago I booked a flight AA/JL RDU-JFK-HND-SIN-HND-JFK-RDU. Then about a month ago was told the JFK-RDU flight at 11:40am 1/14/25 was canceled so we were changed to 3:30pm. Today I was checking to see if the price of our JL flight had changed. And I looked at the AA flight that was rescheduled. I still see the original 11:40am flight on the AA calendar and I don't even see our new flight at 3:30pm as an option on the JL website. I know this trip is not for 6 months. But can I trust the flight information I see today? Would AA keep a flight on the schedule after it's been canceled? Is something funny going on?
No, AA would not keep a flight on the schedule that is cancelled. I would forget about who told you what with regards to what flight was cancelled etc. and just focus on what is currently loaded in the schedule today.

As you mentioned, on 1/14/25 from JFK-RDU both the 11:40am and 3:30p are still loaded and bookable. AA always runs 4-5x daily JFK-RDU flights and typically around the same times, so there is no reason to believe that either of those flights will get cancelled. The times may shift slightly as you're still 9 months away (not 6) but the flights shouldn't get cancelled all together.

If you booked this through JL, then I would call JL and ask to be put back on the 11:40am flight if that works the best.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, AA would not keep a flight on the schedule that is cancelled. I would forget about who told you what with regards to what flight was cancelled etc. and just focus on what is currently loaded in the schedule today.

As you mentioned, on 1/14/25 from JFK-RDU both the 11:40am and 3:30p are still loaded and bookable. AA always runs 4-5x daily JFK-RDU flights and typically around the same times, so there is no reason to believe that either of those flights will get cancelled. The times may shift slightly as you're still 9 months away (not 6) but the flights shouldn't get cancelled all together.

If you booked this through JL, then I would call JL and ask to be put back on the 11:40am flight if that works the best.
Thanks. Ill make some calls. It makes no sense that the canceled flight is on the AA schedule but not the one Im supposed to be on. We are in First. Could they have bumped us?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Did you book the itinerary via Japan Airline or via American Airlines. If booked via Japan Airlines, confirm the status via Japan Airlines; not via American Airlines. Is the itinerary award travel or otherwise?

Itineraries don't always match from one airline to another. Once changes are involved the situation becomes complicated.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Apr 16, 2024 at 2:17 pm
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:14 pm

Upgrade windows

Can someone explain the benefit of having longer upgrade windows before the flight? What am I missing
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I’ll make some calls. It makes no sense that the “canceled” flight is on the AA schedule but not the one I’m supposed to be on. We are in First. Could they have bumped us?
No you haven't been bumped or anything like that. Really nothing to worry about, as noted above sometimes schedule changes can show up a bit wonky from one airline to another.

Just call JL (if you booked through JL) and ask to be put back on the 11:40am flight.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Whats The Points
Can someone explain the benefit of having longer upgrade windows before the flight? What am I missing
The main benefit is that the sooner you can confirm the upgrade into first, they won't take it away if someone with higher status books a last second or same day ticket that would cause you to get bumped down the list.

Mind you that's the earliest they will confirm an upgrade and no guarantee that they will actually do so at the start of the window, to allow for last minute sales and people to buy paid upgrades etc.

But by the day of the flight they will usually clear the upgrade list down to one seat remaining to be fought out at the airport.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Did you book the itinerary via Japan Airline or via American Airlines. If booked via Japan Airlines, confirm the status via Japan Airlines; not via American Airlines. Is the itinerary award travel or otherwise?

Itineraries don't always match from one airline to another. Once changes are involved the situation becomes complicated.
Booked through JL. Cash ticket. I am not overly concerned, just confused. I am just upset that I may have to spend more time in the JFK lounge drinking champagne. 😭
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Whats The Points
Originally Posted by MathMusic
The main benefit is that the sooner you can confirm the upgrade into first, they won't take it away if someone with higher status books a last second or same day ticket that would cause you to get bumped down the list.

Mind you that's the earliest they will confirm an upgrade and no guarantee that they will actually do so at the start of the window, to allow for last minute sales and people to buy paid upgrades etc.

But by the day of the flight they will usually clear the upgrade list down to one seat remaining to be fought out at the airport.
And getting a confirmed upgrade > T-24 lets you pre-order a meal, if applicable.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I'm EXP and my P2 has no status. However, we each have several hundred K miles. We are looking at a one way flight DEN-PHL-ZRH in J together. I would like to save more of my miles for future trips since I do more traveling. What are the advantages of booking J award tickets either seperately or both on her account using her miles? Since we are already in the highest cabin, would it even make any difference as to the status of the booking account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.