Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions


NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:37 pm
  #511  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 110
Hi All,

I have a $118 Trip Credit, and a $22 Flight Credit....

Best method to convert one to the other and use both at the same time?

if it helps, booking a reservation for 2 people in one record locator, can a flight credit go towards 1 person, and the trip towards the other under the same PNR? I want to keep them on the same reservation so my EXP perks are given to the 2nd traveler.

Last edited by kromix; Apr 10, 2024 at 1:42 pm
kromix is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 4:25 am
  #512  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,615
Originally Posted by kromix
Hi All,

I have a $118 Trip Credit, and a $22 Flight Credit....

Best method to convert one to the other and use both at the same time?

if it helps, booking a reservation for 2 people in one record locator, can a flight credit go towards 1 person, and the trip towards the other under the same PNR? I want to keep them on the same reservation so my EXP perks are given to the 2nd traveler.
Book the cheapest flight you can find (non basic economy) and apply the $22 flight credit. Wait 2 days, so that you are outside of the 24-hr cancel period, then cancel it. You will now be issued a new trip credit for that amount. You can now apply your old trip credit together with your new trip credit on any new booking you wish.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:24 am
  #513  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 1
Buying up to Platinum Status

Just logged in to AA to book a few flights and noticed, Id been knocked back down to Gold. To make it even worse, I was less than 3,000 loyalty points from the 75k required to keep my status as Plat.

I also saw an offer to buy back my Platinum status for $415 or 41.5k miles. I understand that if I wanted to do that, its smarter to pay the cash. What Im trying to decide, is if its worth it at all, or should I just stay at Gold. Right now I have 9,700 LP. And 185k miles.
Im not sure I fly enough to make it worth buying my way back.
Maybe Id be better off spending $595 to get the Citi Platinum Select World Elite card. Right now I just have the AVIATOR Red MC.
backbonz is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 12:17 pm
  #514  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Posts: 551
To be honest the only real main benefit from Plat over gold is MCE seating at booking, and that isn't worth $400 to me personally. You would have a slightly higher spot on the upgrade list, but for the most part as a Plat I would have gotten the upgrade as a Gold too when I clear.
MathMusic is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 2:43 pm
  #515  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wherever
Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Posts: 1,185
Any AA EWR Experts Out There?

Bump...
[
QUOTE=cyborg;36148457]Looking for some info on best way to transit EWR with 2 tickets/PNRs arriving OS from VIE and connecting to AA on domestic flight. I understand OS arrives at Terminal B and AA departs Terminal A. Unsure what options I have to recheck baggage and re-enter Terminal with considerations for security, baggage handling, inter terminal transit etc. I have GE/TSA Pre, but understand EWR is a bit "off" in its offerings...
... have plenty of time (4 hours) and as BAEC Gold would have lounge access in Terminal A to spend any excess time.

Advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

-Cyborg[/QUOTE]
cyborg is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 3:00 pm
  #516  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,615
Originally Posted by cyborg
Bump...
Originally Posted by cyborg
Looking for some info on best way to transit EWR with 2 tickets/PNRs arriving OS from VIE and connecting to AA on domestic flight. I understand OS arrives at Terminal B and AA departs Terminal A. Unsure what options I have to recheck baggage and re-enter Terminal with considerations for security, baggage handling, inter terminal transit etc. I have GE/TSA Pre, but understand EWR is a bit "off" in its offerings...
... have plenty of time (4 hours) and as BAEC Gold would have lounge access in Terminal A to spend any excess time.

Advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
This kind of question will get lost here in the Newbie thread, I'd recommend asking over in the NY travel forum or the LH/LX/OS forum perhaps, where you're likely to find much more help.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 5:44 pm
  #517  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Programs: british airways
Posts: 27
Cancun Business Class

Im flying business class with BA from London to Cancun and back to London from Miami, with a connecting flight with AA between Mexico and USA. I know the flight is only 2 hours, but wasnt sure if you get a meal, akin to BAs European business class ? Also am I correct in thinking theres no use of a business lounge in Cancun for the AA flight?
Ramsey_lp is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 5:51 pm
  #518  
S80
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: ORD/LHR
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,369
Originally Posted by Ramsey_lp
Im flying business class with BA from London to Cancun and back to London from Miami, with a connecting flight with AA between Mexico and USA. I know the flight is only 2 hours, but wasnt sure if you get a meal, akin to BAs European business class ? Also am I correct in thinking theres no use of a business lounge in Cancun for the AA flight?
1: No, only flights over 900 miles get a meal service. (CUN-MIA is 535 miles)
2: Correct, the lounge there listed on the OneWorld website states it's only for passengers departing CUN on BA
DataPlumber and Ramsey_lp like this.
S80 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 5:57 pm
  #519  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wherever
Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Posts: 1,185
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This kind of question will get lost here in the Newbie thread, I'd recommend asking over in the NY travel forum or the LH/LX/OS forum perhaps, where you're likely to find much more help.
Copy that, but it is really an AA question as that is what I'm looking for wrt bag recheck, getting from B>A etc.

Thanks

-Cyborg
cyborg is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:03 pm
  #520  
S80
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: ORD/LHR
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,369
Originally Posted by cyborg
Bump...
[
QUOTE=cyborg;36148457]Looking for some info on best way to transit EWR with 2 tickets/PNRs arriving OS from VIE and connecting to AA on domestic flight. I understand OS arrives at Terminal B and AA departs Terminal A. Unsure what options I have to recheck baggage and re-enter Terminal with considerations for security, baggage handling, inter terminal transit etc. I have GE/TSA Pre, but understand EWR is a bit "off" in its offerings...
... have plenty of time (4 hours) and as BAEC Gold would have lounge access in Terminal A to spend any excess time.

Advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by cyborg
Copy that, but it is really an AA question as that is what I'm looking for wrt bag recheck, getting from B>A etc.

Thanks

-Cyborg
I don't believe there is an AA transit desk in terminal B, you'll have to take your baggage with you to check in with AA in terminal A. As for getting there, there's an airside train between the two terminals, it's just a long walk from the station at terminal A to the terminal (as with all PANYNJ airports, the fee for the train is brutal, but it only applies if you're taking it to public transit, so for all inter terminal connections, including yours, it's free).
cyborg likes this.
S80 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:27 pm
  #521  
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 3,040
I've googled generally and with including site:flyertalk.com and can't find answers that are surely out there.

On Mrs. ftnoob's OW Main Plus ticket with $313.60 flight value, I currently have these change options:
  1. -$112 to Main (pay to check bag);
  2. -$47 to Main Plus;
  3. +$8 to Main Select.
Future use of any credit is not a certainty.

If I upgrade to Main Select and then cancel, how much can go back to my credit card? One thing I read said non-refundable portion remains non-refundable, so is it maximum $8 back on credit card? Or does it really make the whole ticket refundable, which sounds possibly too good to be true?

We would try harder to use a $112 credit than we would to use a $47 credit, but would have to pay $35 for a checked bag, so the $112 future credit nets to just $77. I'm aware of the boarding group and seat desirability issues, but we don't place much value on those for this reservation.
ftnoob is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:35 pm
  #522  
S80
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: ORD/LHR
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,369
Originally Posted by ftnoob
I've googled generally and with including site:flyertalk.com and can't find answers that are surely out there.

On Mrs. ftnoob's OW Main Plus ticket with $313.60 flight value, I currently have these change options:
  1. -$112 to Main (pay to check bag);
  2. -$47 to Main Plus;
  3. +$8 to Main Select.
Future use of any credit is not a certainty.

If I upgrade to Main Select and then cancel, how much can go back to my credit card? One thing I read said non-refundable portion remains non-refundable, so is it maximum $8 back on credit card? Or does it really make the whole ticket refundable, which sounds possibly too good to be true?

We would try harder to use a $112 credit than we would to use a $47 credit, but would have to pay $35 for a checked bag, so the $112 future credit nets to just $77. I'm aware of the boarding group and seat desirability issues, but we don't place much value on those for this reservation.
Yes, only the refundable upfare portion remains refundable, the rest comes back as a credit. (It might all go to a credit depending on the phase of the moon, but it is refundable, but you'll have to call in).
The credit is not able to be used for seats or bags, only the fare for a new trip.
S80 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:14 pm
  #523  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
Posts: 5,012
If you have Priority Passthrough a card issuer, you can use the CUN lounge. Its nothing special, stale food, bottom shelf booze, but the beer is cold.
Ramsey_lp likes this.
DataPlumber is offline  
Old Apr 13, 2024, 3:03 am
  #524  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 11
Domestic F catering

Hi folks, and thanks for indulging someone that doesnt normally fly AA.

I have three domestic legs in May, all up the front, and I am curious what kind of catering I should expect (and whether I should plan to eat in the airport/lounge rather than onboard), and Id love your expert help:

AA2508 DFW-DTW, in F (dep 8:12pm)
AA1149 DTW-LGA, in F (dep 6:49pm)
AA302 JFK-LAX, on J (dep 5:29pm; this is an A321T so I hope itll be decent?)
daveoflynn is offline  
Old Apr 13, 2024, 4:19 am
  #525  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 613
Originally Posted by daveoflynn
Hi folks, and thanks for indulging someone that doesn’t normally fly AA.

I have three domestic legs in May, all up the front, and I am curious what kind of catering I should expect (and whether I should plan to eat in the airport/lounge rather than onboard), and I’d love your expert help:

AA2508 DFW-DTW, in F (dep 8:12pm)
AA1149 DTW-LGA, in F (dep 6:49pm)
AA302 JFK-LAX, on J (dep 5:29pm; this is an A321T so I hope it’ll be decent?)
You will be served a meal on DFW-DTW. DTW-LGA will not have meal service, instead there will be the passing of the infamous snack basket, where you can select a snack (or two) like chips. Finally, on JFK-LAX you will be served a meal. In F (as opposed to J) you will have slightly elevated service - including soup, and usually one additional entree to choose from.
Whether the meal on JFK-LAX is “decent” is often in the eye of the beholder, but it is generally at least passable. It is airline food after all. You can preorder meal selections within 30 days of travel on the AA website or in the App.

You can get a feel for choices here: 2024 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)
daveoflynn likes this.

Last edited by CMTinPHL; Apr 13, 2024 at 4:20 am Reason: Added link.
CMTinPHL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.