Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, there shouldn't be any issues, but what kind of problems were you expecting by adding your AA# to the reservation?
The thing is I donít know. Iíve never taken a flight with different partners before. I know when my AA flight was cancelled and I called JL to change the AA flight that my reservation was inaccessible until I emailed JL help desk. I was told Iíd get a receipt in 48 hours which I didnít.

Iím back in the reservation now. I want to avoid any more shenanigans. Should adding an AA identification to a AA reservation (booked with JL) change anything at all in the universe? No it should not. But how do I know?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by zitsky
The thing is I donít know. Iíve never taken a flight with different partners before. I know when my AA flight was cancelled and I called JL to change the AA flight that my reservation was inaccessible until I emailed JL help desk. I was told Iíd get a receipt in 48 hours which I didnít.

Iím back in the reservation now. I want to avoid any more shenanigans. Should adding an AA identification to a AA reservation (booked with JL) change anything at all in the universe? No it should not. But how do I know?
Gotcha, no your adding your AA# to the reservation shouldn't affect anything.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Not a newbie to the forum, nor to AA, but I haven't traveled from LGA since the new terminal was built. How early should I aim to get there for an 0735 flight to MSP on a weekday, if I'm not checking baggage, will have done online checkin and have BA Gold status (equiv to AA EXP)?

Would like to get as much sleep as possible so would prefer not to get up too early.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Does anyone know how long approximately for CX flights to credit ?

Thanks!
To answer own question, the AA flight miles got credited after 3 days or so.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:56 am

Flying LIH-PHX-LAX-LHR later this year with AA (last leg BA operated). Have a 10h layover in LAX and would like to leave the airport. Can I check in bags all the way and not worry about them when leaving LAX for a day out in LA?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ilegalnyj
Flying LIH-PHX-LAX-LHR later this year with AA (last leg BA operated). Have a 10h layover in LAX and would like to leave the airport. Can I check in bags all the way and not worry about them when leaving LAX for a day out in LA?
Yep, your bags will be tagged all the way to LHR.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:26 am

Global entry at JFK T8: the last time we went through it was a mess. There was not a dedicated officer after the kiosks as in other airports or terminals. Rather, some one was directing the line and mixing in non-GE to an officer who was checking passports. Rather than our recent one to two minutes from entering the kiosk area, it was 15-20 minutes until we were cleared.

Is this typical of JFK T8?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I was able to pull up the reservation after changing to BAEC and was offered SDC options, seat change, etc.

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Simple question, but a first for me. If replace my AA# with my BAEC# am I still able to pull up the reservation on the AA app? I assume it would not show if I am logged in under my AA account. Will it provide the same functionality to do SDC, select seats, etc? Thanks.
Originally Posted by MADPhil
You can certainly pull it up. You will need the PNR for the app to find it but then it will remember it. I haven't tried the functions that you mention but I don't see why they wouldn't work. It is possible that it can't do things that require your AA number but the app does know it.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:58 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
While not a newbie, I don't really feel like this question should rate a thread all its own.

Flew QR9000 (AA operated flight with QR flight #) from PHL --> DOH on 3/14. Then onward on a QR flight to HYD.
It's 10 days on now, and the LP's have not posted for PHL --> DOH, but have for the onward flight (Those posted as per normal in ~2 days).

I have boarding passes, they show AA FF#, OWE, and I am certain that was in there, because I also had over-weight baggage that the fee was waved on.

Flew the reverse, and that has the same thing occurring - though that's only been a few days - so question. Does anyone know how long these usually take to post when flying AA metal, but QR flight #? 10 days now seems excessive, but maybe I am just impatient (I am).
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Twitter or elsewhere for kudos/positive feedback?

Looking for the name of the Twitter handle to leave a comment on an AA employee (well, I assume she is an AA employee - she was working the bar at an Admirals Club). This is a positive comment and I want to leave it where it will be most impactful to her from the company. If that is not Twitter, some further direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
What does Main Cabin Select actually do to same-day changes?

Non-status AAdvantage member, purchased a domestic itinerary for early May that now I'm reconsidering a couple aspects of (most importantly, last flights of the day on the routing both ways). I coughed up for Main Cabin Select both because refundable and because 6'4".

What exactly is the same-day change experience I bought here? AA.com seems determined to make it unclear whether my purchase actually means what I thought it means on that front (within 24 hours of first leg scheduled departure, can change to any available flights the same day on the same routing, no charge). Do I have this right?

Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Rossodio
Looking for the name of the Twitter handle to leave a comment on an AA employee (well, I assume she is an AA employee - she was working the bar at an Admirals Club). This is a positive comment and I want to leave it where it will be most impactful to her from the company. If that is not Twitter, some further direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
I have had success with this writing to @americanair directly.

-J.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by richarddd
Global entry at JFK T8: the last time we went through it was a mess. There was not a dedicated officer after the kiosks as in other airports or terminals. Rather, some one was directing the line and mixing in non-GE to an officer who was checking passports. Rather than our recent one to two minutes from entering the kiosk area, it was 15-20 minutes until we were cleared.

Is this typical of JFK T8?
The last time I went through T8 Global Entry I flew through in the normal minute or two. This was mid-January. I would say 15-20 minutes to clear is atypical.
richarddd likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Rossodio
Best guess, not an American Airlines employee. The lounge staff are contracted in most lounges. AA employees staff the door and the help desk. If you want to make a big impact, leave a big tip.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:58 pm

new EP here. I'm trying to fly to PVG sometime this July from DFW and would like to use a SWU to get there. Flight options I'm considering are 1) nonstop DFW-PVG, 2) one-stop DFW-HND-PVG 3) two stop DFW-LAX-HND-PVG

couple of newbie questions:

1. Since I'm still a few months out, is it better to wait on purchasing main cabin ticket and first find SWU through ExpertFlyer or when booking through American? or is it better to just get the ticket and put on waitlist?

2. can i request SWU for the American metal flight on mixed itierary, one with AA marketed/operated flight and another with a partner?

3. If i end up purchasing a one or two stop, like DFWHNDPVG, or DFWLAXHNDPVG, is it better to just request SWU for one segment, like the DFWHND leg or LAXHND? or can i / should I request SWU for all applicable segments that are going in the same direction?

Any strategy / tips for SWU to PVG is welcome. thank you in advance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.