Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Dec 31, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Rossodio
I have never flown through MIA; I have a domestic trip I am wanting to book with a 59 minute layover in MIA (EYW->MIA->GSP). Presuming no delays, is this a reasonable amount of time for a layover at MIA?
For a purely domestic itinerary yes, but that said, "presuming no delays" at MIA is not realistic imho. I would have a backup plan in place.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
IIRC, I’ve done two in one day (different restaurants)
Same here. Also, I've done the same restaurant twice (say, realizing I wanted an additional adult beverage after prematurely closing my bill) and always got credit for 2 dines. Obviously, has to be a restaurant that allows multiple dines per month, of course, which most do.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mbbarron
Very much appreciate you checking the BA Avios for me! I was afraid of outrageous fuel surcharge fees! Booking the AA with Advantage miles is only 72K + $58.80 in fees. I guess since it's not going through a partner carrier.

Aer Lingus has some flight options with decent connection times but the direct from PHL is much more enticing for easier travel days.
So the award mileage keeps going up (now 77K) over the past couple of days even through the actual flight cost hasn't changed. Is this typical? I'm afraid by the time the bonus miles are deposited (maybe around end of Feb), the mileage needed will be unattainable for me. Any thoughts on mileage award fluctuations?
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
AA Partner Awards

Any idea how to get visibility of AA partner awards for AY, TN, JL?

SEA-CDG on TN biz 57.5k/$5.60 never materialized in 2024 and AA will not contact liaison to ask if TN is no longer an active partner on award flights.
SEA-HEL-EU(MUC/FRA/PRG) very few I snagged only one in July. Same for return.
Sea-HEL is still doable but the AA agents can figure out how to exchange to add HEL-MUC or HEL-FRA or HEL-PRG.
Comical only one agent once could dit when award for all legs show availability.
SGN-NR-JL--- only see on in econ but it starts run May.
partners have made award seats available for both legs..but AA computers will not link unless separate purchases.

AA international customer service refuse to contact AA liaison to advise on future availability.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
January 1st Buy Miles reset

When can I expect to be able to buy miles for the new calendar year 2024? I keep getting a message that I’ve reached the limit, which was true for 2023 but it’s now 2024, whether in the UK or US. Does it typically take a day or two for AA’s systems to catch up?

EDIT. Worked as of midday UK time. Problem solved.

Last edited by BasilBush; Jan 1, 2024 at 5:25 am
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:43 pm

does anyone know the going rate for WiFi on the JFK-MIA route these days?

or if possible, the MIA-GYE rate?

thanks
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
I'm thinking of buying a ticket using 45K miles on AA metal. The route is CLT-LHR and there's a $196 carrier-imposed fee as well.

Does one get loyalty points for the $196 fee?
I'm ExPlat. Will I get the 120% / 11x multiplier ?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:46 pm

You are asking for things that AA just doesn’t do!

1. Yes TN is an active partner. See .com. As is Alan’s the case, there isn’t any availability. I can see some TN award flight for random days in 2024. There is no reason for — nor is it something a Liason would answer “are they still a partner”. If anything ask ACS but it is in the web and there is availability so no rarsin to ask.

2. Doubt if it is that they do t know how to exchange - it is that AY HUGE on married segment logic. So am guessing the agent can’t get the availability to ... the leg. And you laugh that the agent could only do it when award availability was available for the whole itinerary —- that is how it generally works — especially with AY segments. They are know for sending through UN (unable) if you try to book it segment by segment (so is QR)

3. U are asking to link. There is technically no such thing as linking. It is just a notation of a separate PNR. What I believe you are saying is that they can only do it when on separate PNRs —- and this is VERY common. And if they have already been booked on separate PNRs there is a way to combine PNRs. (Well there is but AA has not done it in like 25 years).

Originally Posted by euromannn
Any idea how to get visibility of AA partner awards for AY, TN, JL?

SEA-CDG on TN biz 57.5k/$5.60 never materialized in 2024 and AA will not contact liaison to ask if TN is no longer an active partner on award flights.
SEA-HEL-EU(MUC/FRA/PRG) very few I snagged only one in July. Same for return.
Sea-HEL is still doable but the AA agents can figure out how to exchange to add HEL-MUC or HEL-FRA or HEL-PRG.
Comical only one agent once could dit when award for all legs show availability.
SGN-NR-JL--- only see on in econ but it starts run May.
partners have made award seats available for both legs..but AA computers will not link unless separate purchases.

AA international customer service refuse to contact AA liaison to advise on future availability.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by joeyE
I'm thinking of buying a ticket using 45K miles on AA metal. The route is CLT-LHR and there's a $196 carrier-imposed fee as well.

Does one get loyalty points for the $196 fee?
I'm ExPlat. Will I get the 120% / 11x multiplier ?
No, you do not earn "flying" LP's for the taxes/fees paid on award tickets.

Note that on an AA metal award the $196 is not carrier imposed fees but rather the US and UK taxes and fees ($170 of that is the UK APD tax and Passenger Service Charge).
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by 777lover
You are asking for things that AA just doesn’t do!

1. Yes TN is an active partner. See .com. As is Alan’s the case, there isn’t any availability. I can see some TN award flight for random days in 2024. There is no reason for — nor is it something a Liason would answer “are they still a partner”. If anything ask ACS but it is in the web and there is availability so no rarsin to ask.

2. Doubt if it is that they do t know how to exchange - it is that AY HUGE on married segment logic. So am guessing the agent can’t get the availability to ... the leg. And you laugh that the agent could only do it when award availability was available for the whole itinerary —- that is how it generally works — especially with AY segments. They are know for sending through UN (unable) if you try to book it segment by segment (so is QR)

3. U are asking to link. There is technically no such thing as linking. It is just a notation of a separate PNR. What I believe you are saying is that they can only do it when on separate PNRs —- and this is VERY common. And if they have already been booked on separate PNRs there is a way to combine PNRs. (Well there is but AA has not done it in like 25 years).
Disagree with many of you general comment.
1. AA has already exchange one ticket for me and down for another poster in this thread who came up with the idea.
2. What route TN are you finding and teh date as I searching only the SEA-CDG which ws widely available in 2023 and not in 2024 at any time.
I've several times search July-Dec many times to confirm no availability..
3. AA has called the issue exchange not linking...AA's terminology and it has been accomplished with one agent telling it;'s due to agents not having sufficient network to release the flight when you cna see availability online.

So I'm commenting on accomplishing this with one agent and another poster who found it easy and your in the denial phase.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by euromannn
Disagree with many of you general comment.
1. AA has already exchange one ticket for me and down for another poster in this thread who came up with the idea.
2. What route TN are you finding and teh date as I searching only the SEA-CDG which ws widely available in 2023 and not in 2024 at any time.
I've several times search July-Dec many times to confirm no availability..
3. AA has called the issue exchange not linking...AA's terminology and it has been accomplished with one agent telling it;'s due to agents not having sufficient network to release the flight when you cna see availability online.

So I'm commenting on accomplishing this with one agent and another poster who found it easy and your in the denial phase.
Above you asked if TN was still a partner. Yes they are still a partner, as noted. If you search any random date from practically any city in the US to PPT, you will see scattered availability on TN, mostly connecting through LAX, which confirms this. Looking at SEA-CDG specifically, if you search SEA-CDG, then click the calendar view and filter to nonstop, you can see a few dates with availability, mostly this winter and spring.

If TN hasn't released any availability on SEA-CDG for the 2H of 2024 then the only thing you can do is just keep checking back, there's nothing any of us can do or anything you can say to a phone agent to make it magically appear.

As to finding availability on AY, AY uses lots of married segment availability, so it's entirely possible that SEA-HEL is available by itself but SEA-HEL-XXX is not available. If married segments are in play then an agent will not be able to just add a HEL-XXX segment onto your SEA-HEL. Even if married segments are not in play many AA agents are absolutely terrible these days at changing award tickets. You can try HUCA.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Above you asked if TN was still a partner. Yes they are still a partner, as noted. If you search any random date from practically any city in the US to PPT, you will see scattered availability on TN, mostly connecting through LAX, which confirms this. Looking at SEA-CDG specifically, if you search SEA-CDG, then click the calendar view and filter to nonstop, you can see a few dates with availability, mostly this winter and spring.

If TN hasn't released any availability on SEA-CDG for the 2H of 2024 then the only thing you can do is just keep checking back, there's nothing any of us can do or anything you can say to a phone agent to make it magically appear.

As to finding availability on AY, AY uses lots of married segment availability, so it's entirely possible that SEA-HEL is available by itself but SEA-HEL-XXX is not available. If married segments are in play then an agent will not be able to just add a HEL-XXX segment onto your SEA-HEL. Even if married segments are not in play many AA agents are absolutely terrible these days at changing award tickets. You can try HUCA.
1. TN SEA-CDG was a route was told to me to be July1 - Dec 31 now see 5 flights made available in past 2 week Nothing else I checked through Nov 24'
Thanks my goal is not to be routed to LAX or DFW.....non-stop SEA-CDG. @57.5K J +$5.60.

2. AY issue ---- I have found SEA_HEL available 57.5 +$5.60. I find SEA-MUC 22k +$17. Wanted SEA_HEL_MUC no go with AA.
Married segment or linked ........I tried using this terminology with AA agents and was corrected to call it a "ticket exchange" not a linking.
So availability was there for flight both legs.....first 7 agents I called zero help in doing a ticket exchange or contacting an experience AA employee.

8th agent ---told me she had 30 years experience and was retiring in 6 months...proceed book SEA-HEL-MUC for 57.5k+ 11.90. (July 24')
Then I told her .I have seen 4 days HEL-SEA is available....but cant "link" MUC-HEL or PRG-HEL. Agent finds a different availability PRG-HEL_SEA @ 57.5k +42.
Great deal for me! AA agent gave me her first name, city (Dallas)...and each time I call in with similar problems "linking" AY or JL flights when availability is there NO AA
help or transfer back to AA agent who did one ticket exchange for me.

This same concept was documented on FT with another poster who had zero problems as he claimed LAX-HEL(bought award ticket ) then called to agent and got LAX-HEL-FCO exchanged/linked. I followed his methodology purchasing first leg and seeing 2nd leg available but computer nor 7 AA agents could ticket it.
Trying to three (3) J separate date tickets May, Jul & Sept to Europe on AY. or TN....I have one.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:17 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Transcontinental flight in first - will I have lounge access?

I am flying mixed cabin ROA-CLT-SFO. The CLT-SFO leg is in First. Will I have lounge access in CLT?
I checked the AA website and came away confused. I usually fly internationally and lounge access is clearer.
My return trip is SFO-PHL-ROA, same question on the SFO-PHL leg.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by suzshe
I am flying mixed cabin ROA-CLT-SFO. The CLT-SFO leg is in First. Will I have lounge access in CLT?
I checked the AA website and came away confused. I usually fly internationally and lounge access is clearer.
My return trip is SFO-PHL-ROA, same question on the SFO-PHL leg.

Many thanks!
No, domestic 2-class first class does not come with any lounge access.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Rossodio
I have never flown through MIA; I have a domestic trip I am wanting to book with a 59 minute layover in MIA (EYW->MIA->GSP). Presuming no delays, is this a reasonable amount of time for a layover at MIA?
I know there are other responses but I wanted to add: If you are inbound or outbound on an RJ (but not both) the gates for the RJ's are all the way out to the end of the concourse, down stairs and outside on the ramp. I went from there to B2 one time and I have to tell you, I got my steps in! Depending on what gates you get, I think there is a good chance that your outbound from MIA could start boarding before you get to the gate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.