Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 0xBA1EE7ED
Quick one here involving a form of "skiplagging" but not really, maybe?:

My wife and I are currently in Thailand. We have Award flights booked back to the US, its booked as a single PNR through AA. BKK-NRT on JAL, HND-LAX on AA, LAX-PHX on AA - All Economy.

A cheap Business Award just popped up for NRT-SFO on JAL, but there is currently no award inventory available for BKK-NRT (or HND for that matter). As our return is a single PNR, I can't just cancel the HND-LAX/LAX-PHX portions and keep the BKK-NRT.
We are considering just booking the NRT-SFO Business award, taking our BKK-NRT flight and skipping out on the NRT-LAX/LAX-PHX legs. Luggage is not an issue since we have to transfer airports anyway and would have to collect at NRT no matter what.

However, since this is technically skiplagging would AA take action against my account?
I have never had AA take action in a situation such as yours, and as I posted in another thread a month or two back, Ive probably dropped the last leg on an award itinerary 4 times in the last 5 or 6 years. I did it last month on MLE-DOH-BOS-DCA-PHL where MLE-DOH was on QR and I dropped the AA legs BOS-DCA-PHL. I dont think it is an issue, but YMMV.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by 0xBA1EE7ED
However, since this is technically skiplagging would AA take action against my account?
No, nothing "bad" will happen, AA isn't going to take any action on your account or anything like that.

Once you get to NRT, pull up your reservation at aa.com and cancel it. That will remove you from the HND-LAX-PHX segments and no will ever look at the record again. Then enjoy your flight to SFO in business.
spiritkat09 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 8:53 am

Standby on international flights?

I'm going to assume this is not possible nor likely to work out but asking just in case. Just main cabin, can I book the flight for 30k miles but fly standby for the direct flight that is currently 110k miles?

Or can anyone direct me to where I can book this direct flight on a partner airline for 50k miles or less? Willing to pay higher premium in taxes/fees/carrier charges.

This is the flight I want to book but don't want to pay those miles.

This is the flight I can pay the miles. Can I fly standby for the same day direct flight?

Last edited by mbbarron; Mar 10, 2024 at 9:36 am
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
You're missing too much information. Who is the operating carrier? It's possible that you may be able to book directly for fewer points but it would have to be on that airlines program, not AAdvantage. You'd also have to look at the standby options of that partner. AA wouldn't have anything to do with that. Are both of those on the same partner?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mbbarron
I'm going to assume this is not possible nor likely to work out but asking just in case. Just main cabin, can I book the flight for 30k miles but fly standby for the direct flight that is currently 110k miles?

Or can anyone direct me to where I can book this direct flight on a partner airline for 50k miles or less?
AA does not permit standby on international flights.

No AA partner will be able to book that nonstop for any amount of miles. Partner availability is limited to those AA flights where AA is offering the flights to their own members for low redemption rates (such as 30,000 miles in your case).
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
You're missing too much information. Who is the operating carrier? It's possible that you may be able to book directly for fewer points but it would have to be on that airlines program, not AAdvantage. You'd also have to look at the standby options of that partner. AA wouldn't have anything to do with that. Are both of those on the same partner?
No AA partner flies MAD-PHL nonstop. That's an AA-operated flight.
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mbbarron , if you can get yourself from Madrid to Barcelona early on March 24 (perhaps by train), you can get AA's BCN-PHL nonstop for 47K miles that day:

On the following day, March 25, the BCN-PHL nonstop is available for just 27K AA miles. Premium Economy and Business Class are also reasonably priced on the 25th:

ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:30 am

Flying Business MIA-MEX-MIA with our teens. For MIA-MEX, the premium meal options are the omelet with leek and mushrooms or smoked salmon (it is a breakfast flight). I have one picky teen that won't like ither one. Besides eating at the club before (it's a pretty early flight) - are there any of the special meals that might work? I was reading that the diabetic meal might work better (any experience on what a shorter business class diabetic breakfast meal could be?) . Thank you!
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WAStraveller
Flying Business MIA-MEX-MIA with our teens. For MIA-MEX, the premium meal options are the omelet with leek and mushrooms or smoked salmon (it is a breakfast flight). I have one picky teen that won't like ither one. Besides eating at the club before (it's a pretty early flight) - are there any of the special meals that might work? I was reading that the diabetic meal might work better (any experience on what a shorter business class diabetic breakfast meal could be?) . Thank you!
I'd suggest taking a look at the below master meal threads.

2024 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Guide: AA SPML - Special Meal (vegetarian, gluten intolerant, child, etc.)
TWA884 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
I have never had AA take action in a situation such as yours, and as I posted in another thread a month or two back, Ive probably dropped the last leg on an award itinerary 4 times in the last 5 or 6 years. I did it last month on MLE-DOH-BOS-DCA-PHL where MLE-DOH was on QR and I dropped the AA legs BOS-DCA-PHL. I dont think it is an issue, but YMMV.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, nothing "bad" will happen, AA isn't going to take any action on your account or anything like that.

Once you get to NRT, pull up your reservation at aa.com and cancel it. That will remove you from the HND-LAX-PHX segments and no will ever look at the record again. Then enjoy your flight to SFO in business.
Thank you both for the words. Flight is booked and we are all set!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Normal AA practice?

(Moved to a more appropriate thread)

Last edited by WannaTheater; Mar 12, 2024 at 7:49 am
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:14 pm

Can I see flights with open or avalible SWUs?

I'm a new EP.
I belevive that Expert Flyer has this ability. Is that true and how can I search for flights I can apply my SWUs?
Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyGirl001
I'm a new EP.
I belevive that Expert Flyer has this ability. Is that true and how can I search for flights I can apply my SWUs?
Thanks
Yes ExpertFlyer is the best/easiest way to search for SWU space. You must have a paid account.

Once you sign in, you search using the "Awards and Upgrades" function, and you must search segment by segment. You need C space to upgrade from economy to business.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
A non-status pax on a reservation with a different PNR than me who i designated for comp upgrade to first class got one on only one leg out of 4 on a domestic round trip ticket. Will that pax get 2 free checked bags on both the outbound and inbound, or just in the outbound where they have the upgrade?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rossodio
A non-status pax on a reservation with a different PNR than me who i designated for comp upgrade to first class got one on only one leg out of 4 on a domestic round trip ticket. Will that pax get 2 free checked bags on both the outbound and inbound, or just in the outbound where they have the upgrade?
The outbound and return portion of an itinerary are always treated separately for baggage purposes. So they will get free bags on the outbound, but not on the return.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.