Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by bse118
That would be Concierge Key - the invite-only, non-published status level that is above Executive Platinum.

AA Page on the complimentary upgrade program here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...y-upgrades.jsp

Flytertalk thread and wiki on upgrades here: Chance of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2023 Master Thread)
Thank you for the information.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Its very unlikely true CKs would be in coach unless they changed flights at the last moment. More likely you saw service members on active duty or those who "need extra time or assistance" who board before F.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Its very unlikely true CKs would be in coach unless they changed flights at the last moment. More likely you saw service members on active duty or those who "need extra time or assistance" who board before F.
No they were definitely Concierge. The extra needing assistance pax had already been called. Now that I think about it further, only one person from that Concierge category sat in F. It was that actor guy who was in the comedy show with Diana Ross' daughter.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
what? CK's are routinely in the back now since AA started aggressively selling F to everyone (OP's post is the perfect example) until the last second.
ikwia likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:31 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
I noticed there were 55 pax on the upgrade to F list. Given that I upgraded my trip by paying $213 to upgrade to F days before, I wondered how many were offered this opportunity and did they refuse deciding instead to roll the dice. With only 20 seats in F, wouldn't it make better sense to just pay the extra couple of hundreds...
$213 is nothing to some people, and a lot to others. Especially if you are traveling with several in your party. Then it's $213 multiplied a few times over, unless one person wants to go it alone and leave their companions in coach (it happens). Other reason some of those 55 people on the waitlist didn't buy up could be they never logged into the app or web site since the ticket was purchased until they checked in, if at all (they could have just checked in at airport). Yet another reason could be they were given different (higher) offers than you. Or maybe no offer at all. So many variables. Me, personally, would think nothing of spending an extra $213 for a transcon. Just flew PHL-LAS and paid $240 about a month ago. The waitlist also had well over 50 on it. Everybody has status now(many mostly by spend and not butt in seat flying) with the LP program in force for over a year so the battlefield for upgrades has become much bigger.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
I just flew from LAX/DCA on Friday morning to complete my business trip. Flight was on an A321Neo with 20 seats in First. As I was sitting in the departure gate area, I noticed there were 55 pax on the upgrade to F list. Given that I upgraded my trip by paying $213 to upgrade to F days before, I wondered how many were offered this opportunity and did they refuse deciding instead to roll the dice. With only 20 seats in F, wouldn't it make better sense to just pay the extra couple of hundreds...
Personally, if I had a decent seat in the back, I would not pay $213 for an upgrade to F. It’s not that I cannot afford it. I just would spend that money on something I value higher.

I have paid for upgrades on international long haul, to J and to PE, on other airlines. Now, if I was somehow stuck in 37B, yeah, the credit card would come out with lightning speed…
CMTinPHL, ashill, TWA884 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Maybe they had multiple people in their party and didn't want to be split up then. I'm not sure what the complimentary upgrade limit is for extra pax on CK record locator. Its 2 for EXP.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Personally, if I had a decent seat in the back, I would not pay $213 for an upgrade to F. It’s not that I cannot afford it. I just would spend that money on something I value higher.

I have paid for upgrades on international long haul, to J and to PE, on other airlines. Now, if I was somehow stuck in 37B, yeah, the credit card would come out with lightning speed…
I’ll probably be banned from Flyertalk for saying this, but I probably wouldn’t pay to upgrade from coach to flat bed business flying on AA’s new YLW-SYD nonstop. I’ll certainly list for a complimentary upgrade if eligible on a transcon, but I wouldn’t pay $213 to sit up front. Plenty of other things I personally value more.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
I’ll probably be banned from Flyertalk for saying this, but I probably wouldn’t pay to upgrade from coach to flat bed business flying on AA’s new YLW-SYD nonstop. I’ll certainly list for a complimentary upgrade if eligible on a transcon, but I wouldn’t pay $213 to sit up front. Plenty of other things I personally value more.
AA has a YLW-SYD nonstop??
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Personally, I would not sit in the back as there are no decent seats there. As long as the upgrade to the front is reasonable, you cannot pay me enough to sit in the back based on length of trip.

Last edited by AJNEDC; Mar 5, 2024 at 9:10 am
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by ashill
Oh no, you're very welcome on FlyerTalk -- more buy-ups for the rest of us
notquiteaff, wrp96 and spiritkat09 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
If I check in on the app, can I still show up to the counter the next day to check my bag to get them to throw the priority tAAg on the luggage in the hopes that the "priority" tag actually does anything when I land in my destination? Is there any reason to actually check in on the app if I am going to the counter either way (including any change in how I am prioritized for complimentary upgrade to premium seats)? I am currently upgraded complimentary on 3 legs of the round trip flight but one of the legs tomorrow with 3 open premium seats is not upgraded yet.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Rossodio
If I check in on the app, can I still show up to the counter the next day to check my bag to get them to throw the priority tAAg on the luggage in the hopes that the "priority" tag actually does anything when I land in my destination? Is there any reason to actually check in on the app if I am going to the counter either way (including any change in how I am prioritized for complimentary upgrade to premium seats)? I am currently upgraded complimentary on 3 legs of the round trip flight but one of the legs tomorrow with 3 open premium seats is not upgraded yet.
Yes, if you check in on the App you can still go to the counter to check a bag, get a paper boarding pass…. I often do that. Time of check-in no longer matters in terms of upgrade priority, but that said I still often check in on the App rather than wait. It can’t hurt IMO.
wrp96 and Rossodio like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:25 pm

How often do miles/rewards offers change? Like if I am trying to get a flight to/from Europe using miles only, is there any chance the miles needed to redeem a flight could go DOWN between now and then, or do they only typically increase in amount needed as time gets closer?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by redfrog
How often do miles/rewards offers change? Like if I am trying to get a flight to/from Europe using miles only, is there any chance the miles needed to redeem a flight could go DOWN between now and then, or do they only typically increase in amount needed as time gets closer?
AA metal awards are priced dynamically and change all the time. Unless you just snag a crazy deal it's equally likely that the price could go up or down. I frequently book awards then monitor the pricing, cancel and rebook when the price drops.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.