Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Cubillas
Hi All, I've gotten conflicting feedback from different AA employees and was hoping someone here can help to clear up this question: I've just booked a trip from PIT to LIM for my family of 6 (including me) at the end of the year. I have Platinum Pro status. I always thought that anyone in my reservation (me and the other five in my reservation) could also enjoy some of the benefits (ie, free checked bags, priority boarding, priority seating, etc.) of whatever status the person booking the tix has.

However, when I wrote to AA for another reason, and asked that customer service person as an aside, whether all passengers under my reservation would receive some of the same luggage, boarding and seating benefits, she said no. I then called the customer service number and spoke with another AA customer service rep who confirmed that all under my reservation would receive the luggage, boarding and seating benefits that I would as a Platinum Pro.

Who's right? It'd be nice to know before our trip. Thanks, in advance! 🙏
As long as you're on the same reservation then everyone will get your baggage allowance and seating benefits.

Your companions don't even need to he on the same reservation to get your seating benefits, but if they're not you just have to call AA to get them seated next to you.

But IME for boarding they will not inherit your group, but with AA this is usually never a problem, a simple "they're with me" works 99% of the time as you board.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:04 am

Flying SAV-PHL on miles and 6:04 PM flight we were booked on was removed from the schedule and we were moved to a 1:12 PM. If this were a paid ticket I know (I think?) we could change to another flight that leaves closer to our original departure (don't mind a connection as we want more of the day in Savannah. Can I do the same with a reward flight?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sccaflagger74
Flying SAV-PHL on miles and 6:04 PM flight we were booked on was removed from the schedule and we were moved to a 1:12 PM. If this were a paid ticket I know (I think?) we could change to another flight that leaves closer to our original departure (don't mind a connection as we want more of the day in Savannah. Can I do the same with a reward flight?
You can do the same with an award flight. Just research whatever new flight works best then call AA and ask specifically for that.
sccaflagger74 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:49 am

Thank you so much for the response, JJ! I thought that was the case, but the AA customer service rep with which I corresponded via email told me know in two back-to-back emails. When I told her I had already purchased my tix and was able to get priority seating for all six of us (exit rows in 3 of the 4 flights), she said that sometimes AA reps bend the rules for fliers with status. My main concern was that they get the same checked-luggage benefits and don't have to pay an arm and a leg for checked bags (we'll be in Peru for 2-weeks).

Glad to hear your priority boarding comments as well. It'll be nice if the entire group of 6 can board with me during Group 2 boarding.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
As long as you're on the same reservation then everyone will get your baggage allowance and seating benefits.

Your companions don't even need to he on the same reservation to get your seating benefits, but if they're not you just have to call AA to get them seated next to you.

But IME for boarding they will not inherit your group, but with AA this is usually never a problem, a simple "they're with me" works 99% of the time as you board.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:59 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thank you so much for the response, JJ! I thought that was the case, but the AA customer service rep with which I corresponded via email told me know in two back-to-back emails.
From AA.com AAdvantage status benefits:

Free checked bags apply, based on the member's status, for members and guests traveling on the same reservation (excluding group reservations) on itineraries marketed and operated by American Airlines.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:56 pm

Just wanted to follow up, my itinerary was ticketed finally about 15 minutes ago.
I reached out to AA on X as it was over 48 hours since purchase and they indicates there had been a "small error" that they had already resolved and I was in the queue to be ticketed, which happiily has now finally happened.
Thanks you to JJeffrey for the advice. Seems like a bit of an archaic system AA runs to me, I don't think I've waited 48 hours for a booking to ticket since the 90's
JY1024 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:06 pm

Excellent, TWA. More proof that the AA customer service lady was incorrect in what she told me a couple of days ago. To be fair, two other AA customer service personnel with whom I spoke confirmed that all 6 (including me) flying under my reservation would benefit from the same the priority bag-check, boarding and seating that me as a Platinum Pro earns, I just had a seed of doubt which is why I wrote here. THANK YOU!

Originally Posted by TWA884
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:00 pm

Hi All, I've gotten conflicting feedback from different AA employees and was hoping someone here can help to clear up this question: I've just booked a trip from PIT to LIM for my family of 6 (including me) at the end of the year. I have Platinum Pro status. I always thought that anyone in my reservation (me and the other five in my reservation) could also enjoy some of the benefits (ie, free checked bags, priority boarding, priority seating, etc.) of whatever status the person booking the tix has.

However, when I wrote to AA for another reason, and asked that customer service person as an aside, whether all passengers under my reservation would receive some of the same luggage, boarding and seating benefits, she said no. I then called the customer service number and spoke with another AA customer service rep who confirmed that all under my reservation would receive the luggage, boarding and seating benefits that I would as a Platinum Pro.

Just as a supporting DP, I personally experienced what JJ is advising. I had a single booking of 5 on basic economy booked through Chase Travel from UR points. At that time I was AA Plat. I was given group 3 and everyone else was the last group... 9 if I remember... whatever the number it was boarding group "LAST". My entire group was able to take advantage of First Class check in. Upon my questioning about the last boarding group, the check in agent advised to just let the gate agent know that we are a group and we will all board in group 3. That is how it went down at the gate, outbound and inbound.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 10:24 pm

Great information EZT. Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by EZTraveler
Just as a supporting DP, I personally experienced what JJ is advising. I had a single booking of 5 on basic economy booked through Chase Travel from UR points. At that time I was AA Plat. I was given group 3 and everyone else was the last group... 9 if I remember... whatever the number it was boarding group "LAST". My entire group was able to take advantage of First Class check in. Upon my questioning about the last boarding group, the check in agent advised to just let the gate agent know that we are a group and we will all board in group 3. That is how it went down at the gate, outbound and inbound.
EZTraveler likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I seem to recall a change to AAdvantage a few months ago that impacted changes to award reservations. I think it was something about having to cancel an entire itinerary and start all over again, even if wanting to make a date change or routing change. Is that correct? If so, does it apply to partner award travel and does it mean that original PNR would also be lost and a new one created?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danger
I seem to recall a change to AAdvantage a few months ago that impacted changes to award reservations. I think it was something about having to cancel an entire itinerary and start all over again, even if wanting to make a date change or routing change. Is that correct? If so, does it apply to partner award travel and does it mean that original PNR would also be lost and a new one created?
If the award is only AA metal then there are no changes allowed now, you can only cancel the whole thing and rebook.

If it's a partner award then changes are still allowed, however AA has not trained its agents well on these changes, so many either don't know how to change an award or just erroneously tell you no changes are allowed. So you typically have to HUCA until ypu get what you need.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
If the award is only AA metal then there are no changes allowed now, you can only cancel the whole thing and rebook.

If it's a partner award then changes are still allowed, however AA has not trained its agents well on these changes, so many either don't know how to change an award or just erroneously tell you no changes are allowed. So you typically have to HUCA until ypu get what you need.
Ah, that's it. I got muddled.

If I book a partner award reservation today for, say, 22 January 2025, can it be changed to a date beyond 22 January 2025 and beyond 26 February 2025 (12 months from today), or is the finite validity 12 months from original ticketing?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat
Does anyone know if there is a place to lookup which airports are in the 300-mile valid AA radius in the case of IRROPS. Would be very helpful instead of having to call/write in. For example, I was surprised to find out that SEA is not in the 300-mile radius for GEG. If this doesn't exist, please just let me know that as well.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by patriotPHL1
Does anyone know if there is a place to lookup which airports are in the 300-mile valid AA radius in the case of IRROPS. Would be very helpful instead of having to call/write in. For example, I was surprised to find out that SEA is not in the 300-mile radius for GEG. If this doesn't exist, please just let me know that as well.
SEA-GEG is 224 miles per gcmap.com. What definition of miles is used for 300 mile AA radius?
patriotPHL1 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
SEA-GEG is 224 miles per gcmap.com. What definition of miles is used for 300 mile AA radius?
WebFlyer gives 222 miles so there seems to be something fishy about AA's distance.
patriotPHL1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.