Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:02 am

Couple of questions - flying AA27 from LAX to HND in business, then from SIN SQ632 (Singapore metal) to HND, and then AA26 from HND to LAX, again on business. It was booked through the AA website (now the flight has disappeared), but what lounges do I get in HND on the return and are my bags going to be checked all the way through, or do I need to pick them up in HND, and recheck for the flight to LAX?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by burbankflyer
Couple of questions - flying AA27 from LAX to HND in business, then from SIN SQ632 (Singapore metal) to HND, and then AA26 from HND to LAX, again on business. It was booked through the AA website (now the flight has disappeared), but what lounges do I get in HND on the return and are my bags going to be checked all the way through, or do I need to pick them up in HND, and recheck for the flight to LAX?
In business you can use either the JL Sakura Lounge or CX lounge at HND. Since everything was booked together on the same ticket your bags will be tagged all the way LAX, you won't need to pick them up in HND and recheck.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:33 am

Does american airlines serve hot meals for a 3.5 hr flight first class flight , DFW to SAN? Anyone know? I noticed on the booking it says Meal- Refreshment. I assume that means no hot meals which I find suprising for a 3.5 hour flight...
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by odom4president
Does american airlines serve hot meals for a 3.5 hr flight first class flight , DFW to SAN? Anyone know? I noticed on the booking it says Meal- Refreshment. I assume that means no hot meals which I find suprising for a 3.5 hour flight...
What time is your flight?
​​​​
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It should be a hot meal (or at least have a hot meal option) as the flight distance is over 1000 miles (I believe). Anything over 900 miles gets a meal: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ium-dining.jsp (Though note that meals are only served during “meal times”.)

Last edited by CMTinPHL; Feb 20, 2024 at 12:29 pm Reason: Added note about meal times…
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
What time is your flight?
​​​​
9:35pm, maybe thats why no hot meal?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
9:35pm, maybe thats why no hot meal?
Yep, that is it.
According to American’s website, "Full meals are served on departures between 5 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. and 4:01 p.m. and 8 p.m. Warmed mixed nuts and Lite Bites are served on departures between 1:31 p.m. – 4 p.m. and after 8:01 p.m."
odom4president likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:19 pm

Hi all,

Made a booking yesterday for the first time using AAdvantage miles on the AA website.
Booked for April flying YYZ-JFK on an AA flight operated by Republic Airways/American Eagle.

Ticket was purchased almost 28 hours ago, the miles have been deducted from my account however the status shows "Ticket Pending"

I've never seen this before, I've booked hundreds of flights over the years, including through various programs and have always been ticketed virtually instantly.
I know this flight is still 8 weeks away so not urgent but we are traveling back to the UK for my mum's funeral and are connecting onto a separate Virgin booking at JFK later that day, so this is somewhat stressing me out. I cannot have this go wrong and be denied travel on the day. I'd like this settled sooner rather than later as I've got a ton of other stuff that needs to be arranged and booked.
Any advice on how long to wait or indeed is this typical with AA redemptions for flights on AA metal (ie no partner involved here)?
I've also heard that calling AA can be pretty painful.

Thanks for any advice
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atco
Hi all,

Made a booking yesterday for the first time using AAdvantage miles on the AA website.
Booked for April flying YYZ-JFK on an AA flight operated by Republic Airways/American Eagle.

Ticket was purchased almost 28 hours ago, the miles have been deducted from my account however the status shows "Ticket Pending"

I've never seen this before, I've booked hundreds of flights over the years, including through various programs and have always been ticketed virtually instantly.
I know this flight is still 8 weeks away so not urgent but we are traveling back to the UK for my mum's funeral and are connecting onto a separate Virgin booking at JFK later that day, so this is somewhat stressing me out. I cannot have this go wrong and be denied travel on the day. I'd like this settled sooner rather than later as I've got a ton of other stuff that needs to be arranged and booked.
Any advice on how long to wait or indeed is this typical with AA redemptions for flights on AA metal (ie no partner involved here)?
I've also heard that calling AA can be pretty painful.

Thanks for any advice
Typically the miles are not deducted until the award fully tickets, so it is strange to have the miles deducted but it still be on request. I assume you've tried pulling up the reservation and just refreshing it?

There's really nothing to worry about either way, AA metal awards typically ticket within a few mins, but give it another day or two, if it still shows on request just call AA and have an agent look to make sure everything is ok.
atco likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Typically the miles are not deducted until the award fully tickets, so it is strange to have the miles deducted but it still be on request. I assume you've tried pulling up the reservation and just refreshing it?

There's really nothing to worry about either way, AA metal awards typically ticket within a few mins, but give it another day or two, if it still shows on request just call AA and have an agent look to make sure everything is ok.
Thanks for the reply and the info. I've pulled up the reservation multiple times and still get the same "Ticket Pending", including just now as I've got the tab open.
The miles were deducted yesterday at 3:54pm and I got the email confirmation, but still nothing in terms of ticketing the flights. Given its on AA metal and no partner systems are involved its left me concerned that its taking this long to ticket.
I'd normally be a lot more relaxed and inclined to give it a few days and wait it out but I've got so much that I need to do and will be away for all next week and I just don't want to have needless loose ends and worries hanging over me. I'd just like the flights to be ticketed so I can move onto other things.

Oh, I've also just noticed that the $200 or so in fees does not show as a pending transaction on my credit card. although other purchases I made yesterday do.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the reply and the info. I've pulled up the reservation multiple times and still get the same "Ticket Pending", including just now as I've got the tab open.
The miles were deducted yesterday at 3:54pm and I got the email confirmation, but still nothing in terms of ticketing the flights. Given its on AA metal and no partner systems are involved its left me concerned that its taking this long to ticket.
I'd normally be a lot more relaxed and inclined to give it a few days and wait it out but I've got so much that I need to do and will be away for all next week and I just don't want to have needless loose ends and worries hanging over me. I'd just like the flights to be ticketed so I can move onto other things.

Oh, I've also just noticed that the $200 or so in fees does not show as a pending transaction on my credit card. although other purchases I made yesterday do.
If you've received the ticketing email then you should be good to go. Does it have the ticket numbers at the bottom?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:16 pm

If you've received the ticketing email then you should be good to go. Does it have the ticket numbers at the bottom?
No it doesn't.
All I've had was the email titled "Your recent AAdvantage Redemption" which states "Great news! We've successfully completed your request and are pleased to present you with the following AAdvantage® award"
There's no mention of ticketing or any ticket numbers anywhere on the email, just confirmation of the miles redeemed.
Still showing as pending on the website and no email to confirm the booking beyond these 3 emails advising the miles have been redeemed - which is what the website shows as well, my miles balance has been adjusted accordingly. Still no tickets though.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No it doesn't.
All I've had was the email titled "Your recent AAdvantage Redemption" which states "Great news! We've successfully completed your request and are pleased to present you with the following AAdvantage® award"
There's no mention of ticketing or any ticket numbers anywhere on the email, just confirmation of the miles redeemed.
Still showing as pending on the website and no email to confirm the booking beyond these 3 emails advising the miles have been redeemed - which is what the website shows as well, my miles balance has been adjusted accordingly. Still no tickets though.
Ok then that's not the ticketing email, that's just the general FYI email you get anytime you redeem miles.

If it doesn't ticket in a day or two you just need to give AA a call. You can also try reaching out via chat or X.
atco likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:04 pm

Ok then that's not the ticketing email, that's just the general FYI email you get anytime you redeem miles.

If it doesn't ticket in a day or two you just need to give AA a call. You can also try reaching out via chat or X.
OK thanks so much for your help. Might try the socials as I've heard awful things about their phone system!
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:58 pm

Free Checked Bag Allowance Question

Hi All, I've gotten conflicting feedback from different AA employees and was hoping someone here can help to clear up this question: I've just booked a trip from PIT to LIM for my family of 6 (including me) at the end of the year. I have Platinum Pro status. I always thought that anyone in my reservation (me and the other five in my reservation) could also enjoy some of the benefits (ie, free checked bags, priority boarding, priority seating, etc.) of whatever status the person booking the tix has.

However, when I wrote to AA for another reason, and asked that customer service person as an aside, whether all passengers under my reservation would receive some of the same luggage, boarding and seating benefits, she said no. I then called the customer service number and spoke with another AA customer service rep who confirmed that all under my reservation would receive the luggage, boarding and seating benefits that I would as a Platinum Pro.

Who's right? It'd be nice to know before our trip. Thanks, in advance! 🙏

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.