AA to Lima from PHL? Or UA from EWR?

Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
AA to Lima from PHL? Or UA from EWR?

Planning to fly Business class to Lima in November. My home airport is PHL, but a few years ago I flew nonstop from EWR on UA, and the trip was so much more enjoyable than having to fly PHL to MIA and then wait around to change planes. The problem is: a travel agent acquaintance told me the direct flight from EWR to LIM may soon be eliminated, so he feels I'm better off buying AA seats from PHL with a change in MIA. Of course PHL is more convenient than driving to EWR, but I'm afraid that AA has a less plush/comfortable Business product. Essentially both legs of the trip would be like traveling on small domestic planes. Of course I could just purchase the UA seats from EWR, but then I risk having the flight cancelled and then having to purchase AA seats at a higher price than they are today.

Any advice? Does anyone know more about UA possibly eliminating this route? Am I mistaken about the AA planes and experience to LIM?

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think UA (and previously Continental) has always flown EWR-LIM (outside of the pandemic). Currently it's only 4-days a week but goes back up to daily some time in March I believe.
Worst case, UA will re-route you via Houston at no additional cost. You will NOT have to purchase new tickets on another airline.
Both EWR-LIM and IAH-LIM are sold as Polaris in business, which means flat beds (though it's a narrowbody from EWR and thus not the latest seats) and nice bedding. It will be a SIGNIFICANTLY better experience than the regular "domestic" business class recliner seats AA will offer via MIA.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
You are correct that AA service to LIM is on narrowbody 321's with recliners in business class that are virtually no different that what you'll find on any other domestic flight.

This is the AA forum so I doubt anyone has much in depth knowledge of UA's long term plans for the EWR-LIM route, but I personally wouldn't let some rumor that a travel agent told you sway you from booking a more comfortable option.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:08 am

Since you are willing to fly different alliances, why not Delta-LATAM from PHL to Lima changing in Atlanta? There is an all daytime option and an overnight option... lie flat seats in business on the ATL-LIM leg.

Back when AA partnered with LAN, I flew MIA-LIM on LAN. It was a much better experience than the AA flight that had basically the same schedule.

saunders111
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Probably will just plan on driving 1-1/2 to EWR so I can enjoy a nice long Polaris flight, and not worry about UA eliminating the flight. But I'll look into your suggestion, saunders111. It's always nicer to come home to an airport that's only 15 minutes from my house.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:46 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
If you are considering EWR, why not non stop JFK - LIM on Latam? They have lie flats and decent in flight service.
AA is recliner seats all the way to LIM, hit or miss service and through MIA, which is dreadful.

If not willing to go to JFK, I would just book AA economy and pick 28A for MIA LIM (unlimited legroom and you can walk in front of row 27 without them having to stand up). Don't give AA a penny for their lousy business product to LIM.
​​​​​

​​​​​
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
If you are considering EWR, why not non stop JFK - LIM on Latam?
​​​​​
Staten Island?
Nognig and goyankees32790 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you are considering EWR, why not non stop JFK - LIM on Latam? They have lie flats and decent in flight service.​​​​​
To each their own, but coming from Philly I'd say EWR is significantly more convenient than JFK.
Nognig and goyankees32790 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:01 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
I connected in MIA from Belize a few days ago. If I were you, I would avoid Miami.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
I connected in MIA from Belize a few days ago. If I were you, I would avoid Miami.
True, but personally I would also avoid EWR at all costs. For that reason, I was intrigued by the Delta-LATAM suggestion above (though I'm sure there are others who would say avoid ATL at all costs). It is a pick-your-poison kind of situation lol, but in the end, non-stop probably trumps any connection option. Good luck to the OP!
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Hah! You all read my mind. The drive to EWR from Philly is an easy straight shot. JFK is much further and involves NYC traffic. EWR usually isn't as awful as MIA, and avoiding connections puts the UA EWR-LIM flight on top.
ZenFlyer and AJNEDC like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Nognig
Hah! You all read my mind. The drive to EWR from Philly is an easy straight shot. JFK is much further and involves NYC traffic. EWR usually isn't as awful as MIA, and avoiding connections puts the UA EWR-LIM flight on top.
Sure. I get it, getting to EWR is easier than getting to JFK.
But you seemed to be concerned about UA being seasonal. Latam JFK LIM is not seasonal.
and imo Latam>>UA.

AJNEDC likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

True I am concerned about getting cancelled/rerouted, but the thought of coming back from Lima and having to drive over 2 hours to get home is just too painful.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nognig
True I am concerned about getting cancelled/rerouted, but the thought of coming back from Lima and having to drive over 2 hours to get home is just too painful.
As painful as having to deal with UA FAs?
I think you got the information you needed on this thread. Safe travels to LIM!
Nognig likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
If you are considering EWR, why not non stop JFK - LIM on Latam? They have lie flats and decent in flight service.

​​​​​
Driving from Philly to EWR and driving from Philly to JFK are two entirely different worlds traffic and timewise.
m.y and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.