Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2024 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

2024 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
I'm not sure what the service standard is, but on a redeye departure like this, it should be on one tray, as quick as possible IMO.
I was on this flight in FF about a week ago, also came out as one tray. Was glad it did on the redeye so that I could get to sleep.

Although the FA seemed annoyed that I actually wanted a meal, as I was the only one (of five) in FF that did.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Globalist, DL Silv, Hilton Dim, Marriot Gld, Amex Plat
DTW-MIA - AA1020
1F
Jan. 10 5:54AM

(sorry its tilted)
Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by JackIs
DTW-MIA - AA1020
1F
Jan. 10 5:54AM

(sorry its tilted)
what is that?
AAway likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Globalist, DL Silv, Hilton Dim, Marriot Gld, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by donotblink
what is that?
Some enchilada thing. The FA felt bad when he handed it to me.... he goes "I'm sorry about the food, I wish I could do better for you".
dw and Hoi polloi like this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:14 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by JackIs
Some enchilada thing. The FA felt bad when he handed it to me.... he goes "I'm sorry about the food, I wish I could do better for you".
Its not drastically perceptible, but it does seem like AAs catering took a turn for the worse starting a few months ago
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dw
Its not drastically perceptible, but it does seem like AAs catering took a turn for the worse starting a few months ago
More like years ago right after trashy Parker took over...
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
I actually found myself swapping my regular AA F transcon commute for a spotty JetBlue Mint transcon flight to dodge the crappy catering on AA. JetBlue Mint service and the airline's operational performance have never been worse, but at least the onboard catering remains a bright spot and earned my revenue. Never thought catering would sway my choice.
dw and donotblink like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:04 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by dw
Yet, they have recently expanded the pre-order choices - and the Mojo Chicken is getting some favorable comments (including from me). It was a welcome change after countless flights where the only choices were either short rib or golden chicken or grain bowl.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RJ1
Yet, they have recently expanded the pre-order choices - and the Mojo Chicken is getting some favorable comments (including from me). It was a welcome change after countless flights where the only choices were either short rib or golden chicken or grain bowl.
Has anyone seen/tried the chicken parm?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Has anyone seen/tried the chicken parm?
I'll be having it tomorrow from DFW-SJD. I'll let you know.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
what is that?
That's the Breakfast Enchilada -- the filling is scrambled eggs, roasted corn, Swiss and pepper jack cheeses, with black beans and sriracha pineapple chicken sausage on the side. It's been around for years. (late 2010's)
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:58 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by RJ1
I actually like both the short rib and the golden roasted chicken!
apeortdz, GNRMatt and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Well with both of these comments in mind, I am now very intrigued to see what ends up happening here. I'll definitely be sure to update this after the flight. Good news is, if it's a bad meal situation I can go to the Flagship Lounge at DFW after on my 3 hour layover, get plenty of goodies in there, and then get fed again on my DFW-LHR flight. Worse situations to be in here for sure, but curious to see how this goes.
I have answers now to what happened here.

1/13/2024, AA1061, JAX-DFW, Lunch

So there ended up being just one option available, and it was a lunch option. The one option was this pasta thing. Pretty simple but there was a little flavor in it, they also gave parmesan and red pepper flakes which I added and spruced it up a little bit. It was also served hot. Overall not bad at all and definitely exceeded expectations on what I thought I was going to end up with. At stations like JAX with no catering, Delta would've served a snack box (not a sandwich sad box, a non perishable snack box) as this plane was an RON at JAX, so definitely way better than that. United does real meals out of JAX, but the meal I had on my 6:30AM JAX-EWR a few weeks ago on them wasn't the best, and that seems to be a theme for United catering. But no snack boxes, no breakfast items, and an actual hot, but simple, lunch.
AAway and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:48 am
RJ1

I actually like both the short rib and the golden roasted chicken!
Agree... I've enjoyed the short rib, and the golden chicken when it was not reheated to the point of being dry.

What I am happy about are the additional choices.

Here are upcoming choices from an outstation (PSP) to DFW. In the past, frequently it was only a couple of choices, one being the grain bowl.
  • FRUIT AND CHEESE PLATE (vegetarian)
    An assortment of fine cheeses served with fresh and dried fruits
  • Harvest Vegetable and Grain Bowl
    "roasted garlic dressing, roasted vegetables, pickled onions, lentil salad, green beans, roasted shiitake mushrooms. Created and inspired with wellness in mind by James Beard Award winning author and nutritionist Ellie Krieger"
  • Golden Roasted Chicken
    roasted tomato chutney, salted smashed potatoes, haricot verts. Created and inspired with wellness in mind by James Beard Award winning author and nutritionist Ellie Krieger
  • Mediterranean Bowl
    Israeli couscous with butternut squash, almonds, red pepper hummus, and tomato and cucumber salad. Served with optional chicken.
  • Grilled Chicken with Mojo Sauce
    Served with rice, black beans, and plantains
  • Short Rib with Green Peppercorn Sauce
    Served with Gruyere and pimento mac n' cheese
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
I have answers now to what happened here.

1/13/2024, AA1061, JAX-DFW, Lunch

So there ended up being just one option available, and it was a lunch option. The one option was this pasta thing. Pretty simple but there was a little flavor in it, they also gave parmesan and red pepper flakes which I added and spruced it up a little bit. It was also served hot. Overall not bad at all and definitely exceeded expectations on what I thought I was going to end up with. At stations like JAX with no catering, Delta would've served a snack box (not a sandwich sad box, a non perishable snack box) as this plane was an RON at JAX, so definitely way better than that. United does real meals out of JAX, but the meal I had on my 6:30AM JAX-EWR a few weeks ago on them wasn't the best, and that seems to be a theme for United catering. But no snack boxes, no breakfast items, and an actual hot, but simple, lunch.
Was the idea of the shelf stable pasta that it could sit on the plane overnight as dry pasta and then have water from the aircraft's potable water system added to it before "cooking" in the oven?

Interesting approach, if so. Sort of reminds me of the thin gruel that AA used to serve on departures out of LIH (a station where UA contracted with a local restaurant to provide fresh catering). Instant soup. Just add water.

I'm just happy that AA at DFW actually remembered to order and board the meal for the inbound flight from JAX the next day. As posted upthread, I was skeptical AA would actually get that right.

Sometimes it's the little things!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.