Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2024 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

2024 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by safari ari
Smoked salmon would be my choice. Frittata was not balanced or all that filing and was too leek/asparagus forward.
I agree about the salmon... I find it one of the better breakfast options. Just to add a visual from a recent DCA-PHX flight...

Biscuits and more bagels were also offered from the bread basket, in case you wanted more carbs (or wanted to make a smoked salmon biscuit). LSG gifted a few of us with plastic cutlery after they ran out, but all of the frittata people and some of the salmon diners onboard got regular silverware.
lrdpenn likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by michael1023
oh ok. its funny on my second flight, it says "Meals to South America include dishes created and inspired by our partnership with the James Beard Foundation", but its the exact same menu as my flight to Miami. hmmm...
Yep, all non-flagship routes ex-USA to Latin America get standard AA domestic F meals and are on the same rotation, nothing different at all.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Did AA dramatically expand meal options on 900 mile first class flights? I'm looking at the pre-order for a DFW-DCA flight in February, and the options are much more extensive than they used to be:

Based on a flew flights, I think they did. They seem to be offering one or two more pre-order only items other than the two staple James beard or whatever “healthy” options. My guess is the short rib and the edamame slaw salad are your two pre-order only non-healthy items and folks ordering on board will only be offered the chicken parm and fruit and cheese. But it also seems AA have added quite a few more items to their normal rotation, so this does seem to be an improvement (at least in variety) of their domestic F meals.
BWISkyGuy and KDCAflyer like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Did AA dramatically expand meal options on 900 mile first class flights? I'm looking at the pre-order for a DFW-DCA flight in February, and the options are much more extensive than they used to be:
Originally Posted by fender5787
Based on a flew flights, I think they did. They seem to be offering one or two more pre-order only items other than the two staple “healthy” options. My guess is the short rib and the edamame slaw salad are your two pre-order only non-healthy items and folks in board will only be offered the chicken and fruit and cheese.
We were discussing this in December on the 2023 thread when this started to appear for January flights. My guess was AA IT glitch and that the extra options won't actually be catered come departure time.

Would love to see some actual flown trip reports as opposed to screenshots of what AA claims will be catered.

Fender5787: do you mean based on a few flown flights?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
We were discussing this in December on the 2023 thread when this started to appear for January flights. My guess was AA IT glitch and that the extra options won't actually be catered come departure time.

Would love to see some actual flown trip reports as opposed to screenshots of what AA claims will be catered.
I posted in last years thread, and mentioned in this thread earlier that I was able to pre-order the short rib twice and not only was it catered properly, but it wasn’t an option offered to pax who didn’t pre-order and their options seemed to be the first two items listed on the pre-order page.

Edit: yep, flown flights.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I posted in last years thread, and mentioned in this thread earlier that I was able to pre-order the short rib twice and not only was it catered properly, but it wasn’t an option offered to pax who didn’t pre-order and their options seemed to be the first two items listed on the pre-order page.

Great news. Thanks for updating. This is an actual, genuine AA enhancement for once.
fender5787 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
Great news. Thanks for updating. This is an actual, genuine AA enhancement for once.
Indeed, and it seems AA is finally matching up to what DL and UA offer which are many more items to pre-order than what is available to order in the air.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:40 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

Is it just me, or does it seem like AA is now reserving the better entree options for pre-order only and just serving the crap options onboard (like the golden chicken and the grain bowl) for people who didn’t pre-order?

Or we are totally out of touch and their data shows that people actually prefer the golden chicken and the grain bowl?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by dw
Is it just me, or does it seem like AA is now reserving the better entree options for pre-order only and just serving the crap options onboard (like the golden chicken and the grain bowl) for people who didn’t pre-order?

Or we are totally out of touch and their data shows that people actually prefer the golden chicken and the grain bowl?
The golden chicken and grain bowl are mostly pre-order only options too, but they’re considered the “special healthy” ones. But I agree it does seem the pre-order only options aside from those two, are superior. I guess it makes sense since they have to only cater X number of nicer dishes which presumably may cost AA a few more cents than the worse dishes. But it is a recipe for some drama. On MIA-JFK last week, I preordered the short rib, and my seatmate kinda threw a fit at the FA when he found out his only options were pasta or charcuterie and was glaring at me enviously while I woofed down my beef, ha!

Last edited by fender5787; Jan 9, 2024 at 11:59 am
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw

I laughed at the "healthy" golden chicken appearing all over the place and managed to avoid it until I actually had it on a RIC-DFW flight in November. You know, it wasn't bad. Arguably better than some of the other terrible preparations of chicken to have appeared in the past 10 years.

The picture of the new mojo chicken posted here looked better but I didn't hate the golden chicken when I finally tried it. Grain bowl isn't too bad either when the salmon shows up with it. Though it needs more vegetables and less grain.

But I can't imagine choosing either of those if short ribs will now be available for pre-order on 900-mile flights. And if short ribs and the other good stuff are only available pre-order, well that just proves that if you want first you should buy first!
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by dw

The golden chicken and grain bowl are mostly pre-order only options too, but they’re considered the “special healthy” ones. But I agree it does seem the pre-order only options aside from those two, are superior. I guess it makes sense since they have to only cater X number of nicer dishes which presumably may cost AA a few more cents than the worse dishes. But it is a recipe for some drama. On MIA-JFK last week, I preordered the short rib, and my seatmate kinda threw a fit at the FA when he found out his only options were pasta or charcuterie and was glaring at me enviously while I woofed down my beef, ha!
I agree... I think the effect of seeing the golden chicken was the compound of it being both a special order option on many routes and in the regular onboard rotation -- IME the actual scheduled onboard use of it wasn't any higher than any other entree, and by luck of the draw, was actually one of the entrees I saw in the regular rotation the least. (Most of my flights in the past 6 month have been short rib.) Same thing goes with the grain bowl(s), multiplied by the fact that there's more than one grain bowl.

I expect that now that we're seeing the short rib for preorder in some cases where it's not an onboard option, we'll soon feel like it's just as prolific as the golden chicken.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Offering some pre-order only choices is no different than offering special meals I think and probably follows a similar notation on the manifest. We can probably make a list of airports that start offering that much longer pre-order list aside from DFW (LAX, MIA, ORD, PHX, CLT and ?). Maybe it will just stick with the hubs, but I don't see it impossible when catering is regional trucks or there is enough longer flights (SNA/ONT as a central catering example or AUS/RDU). Sure, there is some misconnect/change of plans possibilities, but it can only be a positive where a person might get offered that 1 missing passenger meal ahead of others until taken versus the other two normal choices.

I agree that it offers another incentive to get an earlier upgrade (cash, instrument or otherwise) ahead of the final ranked list even on much shorter routes where I think the seat difference is less important than the on-board "soft" services. Seems like a win-win for AA to get more people to not wait for "free" upgrades.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:22 pm

I believe the pre-order-only special meals do work exactly the same way as the dietary ones. They have SSR meal codes and everything -- some catering stations have used the same stickers and tags to distinguish my pre-ordered special meals as they do the dietary ones.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist

Same here. Preordered it PHX-BNA on 1/7 and it was catered properly. Was not available as an onboard option.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:18 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Mojo Chicken

I would get again. Chicken wasn’t dry. Just wish it had some crunch to balance a lot of the softness.

Shrimp salad was just okay.
cmd320 and BWISkyGuy like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.