Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2024 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

2024 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:00 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by wrp96
No, pre-order should've been available 30 days in advance. Try twitter (or whatever it's now called) to see if they can access the meal selection for you.
JAX is a station where the first flight of the day (if the plane was RON) doesnt have real catering- F gets a shelf stable breakfast. Is it possible thats affecting pre-order even on the lunch or dinner flights where there is a meal selection?
AAway and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
Originally Posted by dw
JAX is a station where the first flight of the day (if the plane was RON) doesnt have real catering- F gets a shelf stable breakfast. Is it possible thats affecting pre-order even on the lunch or dinner flights where there is a meal selection?
I knew that about JAX not having real catering for RON flights. Upon this, I did just check and my inbound flight is showing in the app and is an RON landing at JAX at 8:57PM Friday, but my flight is departing at 11:27AM Saturday and is lunch coded. I wonder what this mean lunch will be if it's gonna be shelf stable catering?
Old Jan 6, 2024, 1:19 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
AA5073: DCA - MSY 08:10 EST
Breakfast
E175
First Class, 2A

Well, I left DL for AA to get away from boxed meals a.k.a. Sad Boxes, yet here we are. Still, egg and cheese (under the grapes) were ok. Mixed fruit was just a few grapes. The yoghurt was very sweet and I didn't taste the packaged bar.
hurnik likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:22 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Well, I left DL for AA to get away from boxed meals a.k.a. Sad Boxes, yet here we are. Still, egg and cheese (under the grapes) were ok. Mixed fruit was just a few grapes. The yoghurt was very sweet and I didn't taste the packaged bar.
The sad thing is that AAs sad boxes are arguably worse than DLs.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
Originally Posted by dw
The sad thing is that AAs sad boxes are arguably worse than DLs.
I'd never been subjected to one on AA - this was my first RJ breakfast flight. On DL you get Sad Boxes every meal, every flight (mainline or not) on Sad Box routes such as my most common itinerary. AA was giving me meals on crockery with silverware so I switched. Too many salads by far, but better than a nasty often-frozen sandwich and bag of chips. But yeah, this was pretty disappointing.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by dw
JAX is a station where the first flight of the day (if the plane was RON) doesn’t have real catering- F gets a shelf stable breakfast.
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
I knew that about JAX not having real catering for RON flights.
And, as always, please note that this is NOT because of a lack of catering availability at JAX. It is solely due to AA being too cheAAp to procure fresh catering.

Upon this, I did just check and my inbound flight is showing in the app and is an RON landing at JAX at 8:57PM Friday, but my flight is departing at 11:27AM Saturday and is lunch coded. I wonder what this mean lunch will be if it's gonna be shelf stable catering?
You're saying that the tail assigned to a departure at 1127 on Saturday always (normal ops) RONs at JAX from 2057 the previous evening? Kind of surprising since there aren't too many Saturday morning no-ops out there. And a morning departure from DFW could arrive JAX in plenty of time to turn for an 1127 outbound.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
Originally Posted by Herb687
And, as always, please note that this is NOT because of a lack of catering availability at JAX. It is solely due to AA being too cheAAp to procure fresh catering.

You're saying that the tail assigned to a departure at 1127 on Saturday always (normal ops) RONs at JAX from 2057 the previous evening? Kind of surprising since there aren't too many Saturday morning no-ops out there. And a morning departure from DFW could arrive JAX in plenty of time to turn for an 1127 outbound.

At least according to the AA app, that's the case. I haven't dug around FR24 or anything to investigate further though.

EDIT: After doing some digging on FR24, it appears AA1061 usually runs DFW-JAX-DFW, but next Saturday is only doing JAX-DFW. The first DFW-JAX of the morning isn't until 10:45AM. I checked flights from other hubs too and the only other 738 getting into JAX that morning in time to make that flight is AA1919 CLT-JAX, but that plane is going to turn around and go right back to CLT also as AA1919. This is definitely an RON.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
At least according to the AA app, that's the case. I haven't dug around FR24 or anything to investigate further though.

EDIT: After doing some digging on FR24, it appears AA1061 usually runs DFW-JAX-DFW, but next Saturday is only doing JAX-DFW. The first DFW-JAX of the morning isn't until 10:45AM. I checked flights from other hubs too and the only other 738 getting into JAX that morning in time to make that flight is AA1919 CLT-JAX, but that plane is going to turn around and go right back to CLT also as AA1919. This is definitely an RON.
Very interesting. I'd be prepared to enjoy the finest shelf stable crAAp that can be procured for less than a dollar in DFW. And I'd wager a small sum of money that means "breakfast" items. Actually, given that this is AA and this Saturday no-op is a one-off flight and operational excellence is not exactly AA's forte these days, I would not be that surprised if AA forgets to double-cater the inbound flight at all.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

I recommend bringing your own food. Who knows what theyre going to serve in this case. Keep us posted!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Very interesting. I'd be prepared to enjoy the finest shelf stable crAAp that can be procured for less than a dollar in DFW. And I'd wager a small sum of money that means "breakfast" items. Actually, given that this is AA and this Saturday no-op is a one-off flight and operational excellence is not exactly AA's forte these days, I would not be that surprised if AA forgets to double-cater the inbound flight at all.
Originally Posted by AAway
I recommend bringing your own food. Who knows what theyre going to serve in this case. Keep us posted!
Well with both of these comments in mind, I am now very intrigued to see what ends up happening here. I'll definitely be sure to update this after the flight. Good news is, if it's a bad meal situation I can go to the Flagship Lounge at DFW after on my 3 hour layover, get plenty of goodies in there, and then get fed again on my DFW-LHR flight. Worse situations to be in here for sure, but curious to see how this goes.
dw and chrisny2 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
DFW-LGA, Jan 2024
Grilled Chicken w Mojo sauce

This main was really good. Perhaps the best AA main I've had from a US kitchen (I think it beats the miso sea bass, my prior favorite.) Execution was good too and everything was warmed very well (avoided multiple potential points of failures) - the chicken was not dry for being breast, the rice & beans were great (rice not crispy, beans not dry.) Seemed relatively healthy too. AA should replace the always-available "golden chicken" with this

I was not a fan of the side dish ... it's a cold shrimp marinated in tumeric(?). I don't know how/why it is yellow. I didn't really eat it. I guess it's better than the broccoli salad. That was bad.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Not very great choices for LAX-RDU, with a 9am departure. That frittata got bad reviews on the 2023 thread, and the smoked salmon mixed reviews. I dont mind smoked salmon but it looked small for a nearly 5hr flight. Id prefer something hot/cooked. Thinking of going either kosher or diabetic. Any recommendations? I saw two kosher breakfasts on the 2023 thread (one a turkey and gravy dinner, another a really dry plain omelette), but not much diabetic. Ex:LAX doesnt seem to have great catering, IMO.

NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Reima
How was it? I am planning to have it in a couple of weeks on CLT to IAH.
It's pretty good. I've had multiple different versions of it. It's a reliable "old standby" at this point!
Reima likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Late entry (12/31/23) OKC-CLT

Yet another version of the Charcuterie Plate

HaleiwaFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.