Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2024 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

2024 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Setting the miscaters aside, I'm fine with the 1,300+ mile desserts being served as a course, and the 900-1,299 mile desserts being served on-tray. IMHO, the 900-1,299 tier is too narrow to further split/complicate it, and if we try to make the 1,300 band any shorter so that more flights have the separate dessert service, they'd likely make other cuts to that service band to offset all the new flights that got the more expensive catering. To me, 900-1,299 mile flights are too short to mess with -- I'd rather not sit there and wait for everyone else to finish their meals before desserts are carted out, and I'd rather the FA focus on keeping beverages refilled on a flight that short than to have to jam in a dessert service after everything is cleared. That's just me though -- I respect that others feel differently.
chrisny2 and fender5787 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by fender5787
On flights 900-1300mi, yes the dessert is supposed to be served on the same tray, and in some cases, it def makes sense as some of those 900mi flights are quite short. On flights above 1300mi, the dessert is supposed to be served after the main meal (and is supposed to be a choice of ice cream or a cheese plate). However, on quite a few of my recent 1300mi+ flights, the FA’s have been serving desserts meant for 900-1300mi flights on the main tray.
(I stand corrected — it's 1300 miles.) I think you mean 1500+ miles. In the old days, pmAA used to have an enhanced midcon Basic Plus service on 1300+ mile dinner flights that were not transcons — appetizer, salad, entree, and an ice cream "sludge" (normally vanilla or chocolate ice cream with nuts/cranberry/blueberry/other shavings, but not a sundae) or cheese plate for dessert. This ended on 9/1/2014 (hard to believe that's almost 10 years ago!).

Now, AA serves a small appetizer, salad, and entree on 1300-2199 mile flights, with an ice cream cup (sorbet or regular ice cream, depending) or cheese plates. 2200+ mile flights get true sundaes and (IIRC, I might be wrong) a cookie upon landing.

pmAA didn't offer Basic Plus for lunch flights though; those flights got cheesecakes/pies and no appetizers. Today's AA offers appetizers and ice cream/cheese on lunch flights as well as dinner flights. I suppose it's all a wash, but pmAA's Basic Plus appetizer was really good—jumbo shrimp, not to mention their entrees. Better quality, IMHO.

I hope the recent refresh won't bring any changes to this, or other offerings with AA's service that will weaken it. AA currently is the only one offering ice cream/sundaes domestically; UA/DL only offers sundaes for their NYC-LAX/SFO transcons. (I'm sure you can tell I love me my ice cream! Haha.)
fender5787 likes this.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Feb 9, 2024 at 1:03 pm Reason: clarification/editing based on BWISkyGuy's reply
Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I think you mean 1500+ miles. In the old days, pmAA used to have an enhanced midcon Basic Plus service on 1300+ mile dinner flights that were not transcons appetizer, salad, entree, and an ice cream "sludge" (normally vanilla or chocolate ice cream with nuts/cranberry/blueberry/other shavings, but not a sundae) or cheese plate for dessert. This ended on 9/1/2014 (hard to believe that's almost 10 years ago!).

Now, AA serves a small appetizer, salad, and entree on 1500-2199 mile flights, with an ice cream cup (sorbet or regular ice cream, depending) or cheese plates. 2200+ mile flights get true sundaes and (IIRC, I might be wrong) a cookie upon landing.

pmAA didn't offer Basic Plus for lunch flights though; those flights got cheesecakes/pies and no appetizers. Today's AA offers appetizers and ice cream/cheese on lunch flights as well as dinner flights. I suppose it's all a wash, but pmAA's Basic Plus appetizer was really goodjumbo shrimp, not to mention their entrees. Better quality, IMHO.

I hope the recent refresh won't bring any changes to this, or other offerings with AA's service that will weaken it. AA currently is the only one offering ice cream/sundaes domestically, except for NYC-LAX/SFO transcons. (I'm sure you can tell I love me my ice cream! &#128540
All true, but the current delineator between the short and mid-tier meal bands is 1,300 miles. That changed shortly after they restored the domestic hot meal service, due to feedback.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
All true, but the current delineator between the short and mid-tier meal bands is 1,300 miles. That changed shortly after they restored the domestic hot meal service, due to feedback.
Oh, okay. I stand corrected, then. I hope the 900-1299 mile desserts being offered on the 1300+ mile flights were an error in catering, then, not a change/downgrade in service standards.

Does anyone know if AA has plans to downgrade aspects of their F/J service (both internationally and domestically)? As it stands, AA's a bit more generous with its domestic F meals compared to its' competitors — I think AA is the only one offering apps and ice cream/sundaes on midcons and non-premium transcons.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Feb 9, 2024 at 1:06 pm
Old Feb 9, 2024, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Oh, okay. I stand corrected, then. I hope the 900-1299 mile desserts being offered on the 1300+ mile flights were an error in catering, then, not a change/downgrade in service standards.

Does anyone know if AA has plans to downgrade aspects of their F/J service (both internationally and domestically)? As it stands, AA's a bit more generous with its domestic F meals compared to its' competitors I think AA is the only one offering apps and ice cream/sundaes on midcons and non-premium transcons.
I read that on Feb 14 AA is supposed to be offering "enhanced" meals domestically. But for the life of me, I can remember where I read it.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I read that on Feb 14 AA is supposed to be offering "enhanced" meals domestically. But for the life of me, I can remember where I read it.
JonNYC posted some changes on X/twitter and another flyertalker said that theres a new gui on the website showing premium options but it wasnt loading correctly.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by donotblink
JonNYC posted some changes on X/twitter and another flyertalker said that theres a new gui on the website showing premium options but it wasnt loading correctly.
Fingers crossed
Old Feb 10, 2024, 4:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by fly747first
The spinach and gouda chicken is decent but sadly it has been around for years even before the pandemic. I guess we can't expect AA to be more creative.
Careful of what you wish for. UA got creative and we end up with this cold mess.

It was supposed to be an orzo and beans arugula salad and chilled chicken. It was terrible.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Careful of what you wish for. UA got creative and we end up with this cold mess.

It was supposed to be an orzo and beans arugula salad and chilled chicken. It was terrible.
That looks disgusting. Yuck.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
That looks disgusting. Yuck.
At least the desert is in the back of the tray.
PTahCha, fender5787, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yesterday, Feb. 10th, I had one of those “unicorn” flights we all dream about. I was aboard AA 1473 from LAX to MIA. The aircraft was a 77W and offered flagship first as well as flagship business. I was in flagship first in seat 1A. When I arrived at the seat, there were the usual amenities including a pillow and duvet, Bang and Olufsen headphones, an amenity kit, and a bottle of water. Meanwhile, the purser was handing out menus and taking your PDB order. I splurged and had a glass of sparkling rose wine. Seat 1A on the 77W is my favorite seat in the entire AA ecosystem and I will miss it when it is gone. It is by far the most spacious accommodation on AA and no other AA seat gives you three windows. Pushback from gate 43 occurred one minute ahead of schedule. Once airborne, the serving of lunch commenced, and this is where the service was exemplary. The flight attendant in first class was Elliot and his customer service was personable, professional, and proactive. It began with the usual warm nuts and marinated olives with your choice of beverage. That was followed by a small plate (I chose the harissa carrot timbale – surprisingly good) and green salad with strawberries and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Next up was a beer cheese soup that was delicious (I found it difficult to not to lick the bowl). For my entre I had preselected the roast chicken breast with roasted small potatoes which was not on the printed menu, but Elliot informed me it had indeed been loaded by the caterers. I don’t usually have dessert but relented and had the gooey butter cake with rhubarb/strawberry compote and vanilla ice cream. It was served hot and was scrumptious. Elliot made many passes through the cabin asking if we needed anything. Prior to arrival, warm chocolate chip cookies were served, and a snack basket was offered as well. Arrival in Miami was about half an hour ahead of schedule.

chrisny2, our_kid, st530 and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by marnold3
Yesterday, Feb. 10th, I had one of those unicorn flights we all dream about. I was aboard AA 1473 from LAX to MIA. The aircraft was a 77W and offered flagship first as well as flagship business. I was in flagship first in seat 1A. When I arrived at the seat, there were the usual amenities including a pillow and duvet, Bang and Olufsen headphones, an amenity kit, and a bottle of water. Meanwhile, the purser was handing out menus and taking your PDB order. I splurged and had a glass of sparkling rose wine. Seat 1A on the 77W is my favorite seat in the entire AA ecosystem and I will miss it when it is gone. It is by far the most spacious accommodation on AA and no other AA seat gives you three windows. Pushback from gate 43 occurred one minute ahead of schedule. Once airborne, the serving of lunch commenced, and this is where the service was exemplary. The flight attendant in first class was Elliot and his customer service was personable, professional, and proactive. It began with the usual warm nuts and marinated olives with your choice of beverage. That was followed by a small plate (I chose the harissa carrot timbale surprisingly good) and green salad with strawberries and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Next up was a beer cheese soup that was delicious (I found it difficult to not to lick the bowl). For my entre I had preselected the roast chicken breast with roasted small potatoes which was not on the printed menu, but Elliot informed me it had indeed been loaded by the caterers. I dont usually have dessert but relented and had the gooey butter cake with rhubarb/strawberry compote and vanilla ice cream. It was served hot and was scrumptious. Elliot made many passes through the cabin asking if we needed anything. Prior to arrival, warm chocolate chip cookies were served, and a snack basket was offered as well. Arrival in Miami was about half an hour ahead of schedule.
AA does offer this one this route from time to time it's always nice to see. What also gets me is, that each course is served the proper way. It cane be done if the Crew has to do it.
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:27 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
AA does offer this one this route from time to time it's always nice to see. What also gets me is, that each course is served the proper way. It cane be done if the Crew has to do it.
The biggest difference is the staffing. The purser is left working by themselves on the 32T, so the service level is all depends on how this one person is willing to work. I had excellent pursers, and I had terrible pursers who skipped courses (soup or salad - you can pick one but not both).
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:34 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The biggest difference is the staffing. The purser is left working by themselves on the 32T, so the service level is all depends on how this one person is willing to work. I had excellent pursers, and I had terrible pursers who skipped courses (soup or salad - you can pick one but not both).
Yes- out of BOS (to LAX in FF), I have never seen or been offered the soup course. Have never been sure whether the FA was purposely skipping it, or if it was just never catered. (Even though it was always on the printed menus.)

Last flight in FF out of BOS was even served breakfast all on one tray, but I think it was a catering screwup because all the dishes used were smaller than usual, and clearly meant to be served all at once. (The setup was similar to the redeye one tray setup someone else posted on here recently.)

OT- but also out of BOS, its also been a long time since Ive seen noise cancelling headphones in F or J. Again,
not sure if those are supposed to be provisioned on this flight.
Seat 1F likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Shouldn't this thread be re-named "AA domestic Meals in First"? Does AA serve any meals period in domestic coach? if they do how many flights out of how many AA flights total?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.