Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Award: LHR Overnight Connection versus DFW Connection

Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Coming back from BCN to LAX and choices in Business Award are to do an overnight in LHR or for 40K miles more connect in DFW. Fees to connect through LHR are minimal so no difference there. Time savings is not critical as I usually work on plane in any event, so it comes down to hassle factor, the value of 40,000 miles and the cost of an airport hotel for one night. In the past getting through LHR security is a pain, but breezed through a couple of months ago (may have just been the time of day). I know YMMV, but appreciate any thoughts.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mudcat
Coming back from BCN to LAX and choices in Business Award are to do an overnight in LHR or for 40K miles more connect in DFW. Fees to connect through LHR are minimal so no difference there. Time savings is not critical as I usually work on plane in any event, so it comes down to hassle factor, the value of 40,000 miles and the cost of an airport hotel for one night. In the past getting through LHR security is a pain, but breezed through a couple of months ago (may have just been the time of day). I know YMMV, but appreciate any thoughts.
How soon would the travel take place? If it's in the distant future, there's some possibility of a significant schedule change, which could enable you to be rebooked via the DFW connection for no additional mileage.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
For me the connection time is important, having gone through several "too close for comfort" situation, especially if the connection includes a transfer from T5 to T3 (which looks like is what you are having on your itinerary, from a BA flight to a AA fight). I personally always chooses a connection over 2 hours, more peace of mind and I can hang out in the lounge to kill time. If I am in your situation, my decision to overnight will be based on the connection time and if I cannot find any better connection time.
I went in and out of LHR twice in the last 2 weeks on AA. On arrival (around noon), it was a breeze because they use the biometric system, so no passport inspection whatsoever. On departure, there was not even any passport control that I can remember.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:55 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
LHR security is pretty smooth these days, never more than a 10 minute wait.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
What BA plane would you ride across the pond? New Club Suites or old Club World. Club Suites are better than AA J, but AA J is light years beyond the old Club World seats.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Is the alternative to the London overnight BCN-LHR-DFW-LAX, or BCN-DFW-LAX? (AA's seasonal BCN-DFW nonstop is scheduled to begin in June.)
Old Dec 28, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For me it would also depend on departure/arrival times and connection times. I took a LHR overnight last week, because the alternative was a 6am departure (had to leave for airport at 3:30am local) and getting home at midnight. Instead I had a midday departure, a nice dinner in London with friends, to airport at 8am and then home by 5pm.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

It is BCN-LHR (BA evening flight that gets in at 9 pm), overnight then LHR - LAX at 11 am on AA 777-300 metal (57.5K miles), arrive LAX 2:40 pm
OR
BCN-DFW (AA 787-9) then DFW to LAX all same day depart BCN at 1:55 pm, arrive LAX 9:54 pm (97K miles)

What I am gathering is that not much relative value is being placed on 40,000 miles versus convenience factor. Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It is BCN-LHR (BA evening flight that gets in at 9 pm), overnight then LHR - LAX at 11 am on AA 777-300 metal (57.5K miles), arrive LAX 2:40 pm
OR
BCN-DFW (AA 787-9) then DFW to LAX all same day depart BCN at 1:55 pm, arrive LAX 9:54 pm (97K miles)

What I am gathering is that not much relative value is being placed on 40,000 miles versus convenience factor. Thanks!
I value 40,000 way more than a relatively inexpensive hotel night near LHR...which means I would take the LHR layover....no question.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by hxhbk
For me the connection time is important, having gone through several "too close for comfort" situation, especially if the connection includes a transfer from T5 to T3 (which looks like is what you are having on your itinerary, from a BA flight to a AA fight). I personally always chooses a connection over 2 hours, more peace of mind and I can hang out in the lounge to kill time. If I am in your situation, my decision to overnight will be based on the connection time and if I cannot find any better connection time.
I went in and out of LHR twice in the last 2 weeks on AA. On arrival (around noon), it was a breeze because they use the biometric system, so no passport inspection whatsoever. On departure, there was not even any passport control that I can remember.
What am I missing? Recently I flew AA 104 from JFK to LHR T3 connecting to a BA flight in T5. From deplaning in T3 to lounge in T5 took less than 30mins. IIRC, the entire process took 26.37 minutes.
bse118 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
OR

Depends on how many miles you have? Id do the hotel in this case personally. If your Lhr-lax flight was at 7 am or something Id probably feel differently as well! Or if you have millions of miles...
Old Dec 28, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
What am I missing? Recently I flew AA 104 from JFK to LHR T3 connecting to a BA flight in T5. From deplaning in T3 to lounge in T5 took less than 30mins. IIRC, the entire process took 26.37 minutes.
Looks like everything was working as Swiss clock for your trip, this is great when it happens.
For me I have seen delays that cut into my connecting time, and I personally prefer an itinerary that provides me with peace of my mind instead of nail biting and dash through the terminals.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Club Suites are better than AA J
Not for me.
Club suites feel tighter, less room to bend legs.

OP: Your priorities are very different to mine.
A trip from BCN to LAX should be easy. There is even a non-stop.
No way I would overnight in London for BCN-LAX.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:40 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
I'm not surprised the OP is getting opposite advice.
It all comes down to personal preference.

For me, since time is not an issue - it's a leisurely stop at LHR.
Enough time for a nice late restaurant dinner, a good sleep, and an unhurried breakfast at the lounge.

J on AA's 77W and 789 is fairly equivalent and, to me, 40K AA miles is a non-trivial amount.
So no-brainer in my book.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Not for me.
Club suites feel tighter, less room to bend legs.
it's the same seats that the AA 789s and half of the 772s have.

I agree that both are inferior to the 77W seat.
carlosdca and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.