Disappointing AA experience

Old Dec 21, 2023, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Disappointing AA experience

I have sad news. I was diagnosed with colon cancer and it has metastasized, I now have a life expectancy of up to 5 years. It's pretty hard and I'm still coming to terms with the news. Sharing with the community as I have been here since 2007.

I recently flew DCA-DFW in Y (non-MCE) on the 738, and my god, it was beyond cramped. It was unexpected (still a learning experience) but due to the cancer metastasizing, I experienced a lot of stomach pain because the seat I was in was seriously cramped. It was such a miserable experience, and the crew couldn't have been more indifferent. I spilled a beverage and got an electronic device wet—not AA's fault, but I had to adjust my body in a way that couldn't cause pain and the passenger next to me was pretty big (muscular) so it didn't give me space to work with.

This experience was truly miserable, compounded by the crew's indifference. They took forever bringing napkins and couldn't have seemed bothered. Honestly, it's disappointing to see how (most of) AA has became a basic, generic airline. Connecting through DFW was nice, and the second leg had a bit better crew. The A321-NEO in MCE was nice, but I was in 10A which had no window, which was annoying/unexpected (don't travel much on the A321).

I know this might make AA supporters mad, and I apologize in advance, but honestly, I'm just not happy. I assume the seats I had in the 738 was Oasis, and just... wow. I've flew in many planes over the years, and this was hands down the worst. I'm only 5'8, and can only imagine what this must have been like for people who are 6'1 or taller. This experience made me never want to fly the AA 738 again. Why does AA crew seem so indifferent and blah? I've had much better crew on UA and DL.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 5:40 pm

Im very sorry for your diagnosis and your experience. I wish you the best. Yes, AA is an AAlso-rAAn in the rAAce to the bottom and is disgraceful.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I have sad news. I was diagnosed with colon cancer and it has metastasized, I now have a life expectancy of up to 5 years. It's pretty hard and I'm still coming to terms with the news. Sharing with the community as I have been here since 2007.

I recently flew DCA-DFW in Y (non-MCE) on the 738, and my god, it was beyond cramped. It was unexpected (still a learning experience) but due to the cancer metastasizing, I experienced a lot of stomach pain because the seat I was in was seriously cramped. It was such a miserable experience, and the crew couldn't have been more indifferent. I spilled a beverage and got an electronic device wet—not AA's fault, but I had to adjust my body in a way that couldn't cause pain and the passenger next to me was pretty big (muscular) so it didn't give me space to work with.

This experience was truly miserable, compounded by the crew's indifference. They took forever bringing napkins and couldn't have seemed bothered. Honestly, it's disappointing to see how (most of) AA has became a basic, generic airline. Connecting through DFW was nice, and the second leg had a bit better crew. The A321-NEO in MCE was nice, but I was in 10A which had no window, which was annoying/unexpected (don't travel much on the A321).

I know this might make AA supporters mad, and I apologize in advance, but honestly, I'm just not happy. I assume the seats I had in the 738 was Oasis, and just... wow. I've flew in many planes over the years, and this was hands down the worst. I'm only 5'8, and can only imagine what this must have been like for people who are 6'1 or taller. This experience made me never want to fly the AA 738 again. Why does AA crew seem so indifferent and blah? I've had much better crew on UA and DL.
Economy seats in an A321 or 737 are pretty standard industrywide. Most people in Y shop based on price, so airlines have tried to lower the price by squeezing as many seats as possible. I doubt you will find that much difference between the 4 main US carriers in Y. Be glad you were not on Frontier which has no recline and the smallest amount of pitch. Sorry to read about your cancer.
MedicalAlert likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
I'm very sorry to read about your diagnosis. Traveling as a cancer patient can be miserable even in the best of circumstances, and poor service would only exacerbate that.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Andy, I'm so sorry for your news and will pray for you and those who care for you.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Also sorry to hear about the diagnosis. AA really went too far with the 30 inch pitch. It is ridiculously uncomfortable. Sadly they are not alone. UA is 30 inches in its main cabin as well. If I flew regularly in coach I would go with DL and AS, which I believe are still 31 inches in Y, or WN or B6, which are at least 32 inches.
Daze likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Andy, sorry doesn't do enough to convey my feelings. You have been such an important part of this community over the years. I hope you truly live life to its fullest potential as you are able to.

AA's domestic fleet truly is miserable, with the 737's definitely the worst of the bunch. I'll take an E175, especially in F, any day over the 737's, even without a hot meal. The A321's are a bit better (wider fuselage/higher seats) but AA's configuration and seat choice is truly miserable. Oh how I miss the Mad Dog's...

As for the service, AA is notoriously hit or miss and it seems to have worsened since the pandemic with a lot of the old pmAA FA's retiring.
ZenFlyer and AAway like this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Very sorry to hear. However, I hope you won't give up traveling based on your AA experience!

I am sure you'll get the (travel) memories you deserve.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Andy, sorry doesn't do enough to convey my feelings. You have been such an important part of this community over the years. I hope you truly live life to its fullest potential as you are able to.

AA's domestic fleet truly is miserable, with the 737's definitely the worst of the bunch. I'll take an E175, especially in F, any day over the 737's, even without a hot meal. The A321's are a bit better (wider fuselage/higher seats) but AA's configuration and seat choice is truly miserable. Oh how I miss the Mad Dog's...

As for the service, AA is notoriously hit or miss and it seems to have worsened since the pandemic with a lot of the old pmAA FA's retiring.
The E175s are nice because current pilot scope clauses limit them to 76 seats. If the pilots agree to raise that limit (not likely) they will have 82 to 86 seats and the nice will be gone.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 5:37 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
AA's domestic fleet truly is miserable, with the 737's definitely the worst of the bunch.
Yes- while all airlines, including DL and UA, have been desifying their fleets, AAs Oasis 737s are arguably the most dense plane in Y flown by any of the US4. Unfortunately they make a substantial portion (over 40%) of AAs narrow body fleet.

As a comparison, AA has 172 total seats vs 175 on WN- but the latter doesnt have a F cabin.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Andy.... so so sorry... I have no words that will ever convey how sorry I am for you... lets hope that over time..
there may be a miracle drug or procedure that will be availed to you

Now dealing with AA... and for that matter most airlines .. the seats generally in Y suck..
I just hope that when I have to travel in Y...that the seat next to me is open.. which these days ... harldy
Old Dec 22, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
I'm terribly sorry to hear the news about your diagnosis. If your AA travels take you onto the 787, DM me. My wife is a captain and would be happy to try and make your flight more comfortable if she can.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hopefully some soon-to-be medical treatment can help treat it!
Old Dec 22, 2023, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I appreciate it.
ZenFlyer and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and hoping for some treatment options and recovery.

As for AA, unfortunately, the LCC mentality is strong with them now; doing the minimal amount possible. The same applies to AA FAs - some are excellent, many indifferent and doing the minimum and some that treat you like enemy combatants. It's worse now as they're now all pissed off at the merged AA entity, despite being on the forefront of advocating for the merger; oh so ironic.
hhdl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.