No more printed Wine/Champagne/Port list

Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
Exclamation No more printed Wine/Champagne/Port list

On yesterday's LHR-JFK flight, the J menu no longer listed any Champagne, Wine, or Port. Instead, the menu says that “We invite you to engage with our flight attendants to learn more about the selection of wines available for your enjoyment.”

Such a poor decision on AA’s part. The FAs usually don’t know the wines, the label, or even the country of origin. It also slows the service down when everyone has to ask to look at the wines.

Interestingly, the wines and champagne were different than my JFK-LHR J flight a few days earlier.

Hopefully AA reconsiders this and starts printing them again.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
AA be like

But seriously, this decision is daft.
dw, Spiff, corky and 18 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by AA EXP DFW-LON
On yesterday's LHR-JFK flight, the J menu no longer listed any Champagne, Wine, or Port. Instead, the menu says that “We invite you to engage with our flight attendants to learn more about the selection of wines available for your enjoyment.”

Such a poor decision on AA’s part. The FAs usually don’t know the wines, the label, or even the country of origin. It also slows the service down when everyone has to ask to look at the wines.

Interestingly, the wines and champagne were different than my JFK-LHR J flight a few days earlier.

Hopefully AA reconsiders this and starts printing them again.
That is disappointing. I'd write in to AA stating this is not the best way for its guests to learn about the wines. And, if you do discuss this with an FA who cannot provide the information needed, that should be reported to AA as well.
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AA EXP DFW-LON
The FAs usually don’t know the wines, the label, or even the country of origin.
They usually know the color. "So would you like the red or the white swill?"
dw, Spiff, Unimatrix One and 13 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:02 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
They usually know the color. "So would you like the red or the white swill?"
Joking aside, I have a feeling that the most common response to a passenger inquiring about the wines is going to be “red or white”

The cynical part of me thinks they’re starting to cost cut with the wine selection, and by not having the wines listed, it’ll be harder for people to realize all the wines have been downgraded
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dw
The cynical part of me thinks they’re starting to cost cut with the wine selection, and by not having the wines listed, it’ll be harder for people to realize all the wines have been downgraded
Plus they can load whatever two buck chuck they can get their hands on without worrying about printing new menus.
dw, Spiff, ValleyEarl and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Same on a recent flagship transcon in J. I overheard a FA complaining about it to another FA, that it came through with no notice.

The rose sparkling wine served as PDB was surprisingly good. I figure AA doesn't spend more than $10/bottle so I would have loved to know what it is. Seriously, big thumbs down. I'm not a huge wine afficionado but I do like to know e.g. where the wines are from, if it's a blend, a blend of what, and I feel bad asking the FA these questions in the middle of meal service.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Next step: Chicken or pasta?
dw, Spiff, Antarius and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Well if AA is trying to de-value their J or F product . they are doing a great job..
I have noticed in my recent trips.. the better options in wine.. always somehow even are loaded, or they ran out
I see they are using the olive idea and probably saving money on printing
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: Cheapest lie-flat available and credit card bestowed hotel elites now, long-time AA EXtraPotato then
I have to say that in my years flying AA I don’t recall seeing anything more than $10/bottle. Considering how low the standard originally was, I guess the menu cut back is not…that much worse.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Didn't UA recently re-introduce wine menus? AA does a great job at cheapening and eliminating what they already have at the same competitors start to invest (or create an aura of premium) in the same thing. For example, seat back screens.

Sadly though, in practice, the entire wine list is almost always undrinkable anyway except the occasional champagne.
Antarius and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:02 pm

Their product is their schedule.
dw likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
In F on LAX/JFK at the moment and can confirm.

On today’s flight, we take pride in offering you an array of sparkling, red, white, and dessert wines. We invite you to engage with our flight attendants to learn more about our selection of wines available for your enjoyment.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
They take so much pride in their offerings, they don't bother to print them.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
My BA flight on the same route in the same class on 4th December, also did not have a listing of alcoholic drinks on the printed menu.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.