No more printed Wine/Champagne/Port list

Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:14 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
I was a long time EXPL and CK for six or seven years but have not flown AA in quite a while. In the 2000s I was commuting back and forth from ORD to NRT six to eight times a year in F on a 777 when they still had an F cabin. During that time AA offered wine flights - three reds or three whites - so you could try all the wines available before ordering. Two of each were on the menu and one wild card of each. Some of the wines were somewhat expensive (decent Chateauneuf de Pape) and the FAs at a minimum could let you know what has been popular with other "customers". Presented on a nice wooden wine flight tray. Anyone else remember those days? It wasn't that long ago. It all started going away quickly after the merger and now seems to be barely better than domestic F.
yabadoo likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:55 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by wjj
Anyone else remember those days? It wasn't that long ago. It all started going away quickly after the merger and now seems to be barely better than domestic F.
Yes, it was pre-merger when AA was at least making some attempt to differentiate their international F product from J. Believe this was around the time the 77Ws were delivered. I remember they were using some unique dinnerware and glassware in F.
onenation1994a likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:07 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
How Does AA Compare?

Not being a huge wine person myself, I thought Id share a recent transcon D1 wine list from DL (BOS-LAX). Whats the consensus on how this compares to what people have seen on AA recently in Flagship F/J?

Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dw
Not being a huge wine person myself, I thought Id share a recent transcon D1 wine list from DL (BOS-LAX). Whats the consensus on how this compares to what people have seen on AA recently in Flagship F/J?

reasonably similar in my opinion (though prior to the current days of blind tasting, this lines up more with AA J... F usually had at least 1 "nicer" bottle)

I am interested to see what wine DL serves me this Friday on BOS-DFW. I was planning to just drink topo chicos, but now I'll have to see if there is indeed non-canned wine
dw likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
reasonably similar in my opinion (though prior to the current days of blind tasting, this lines up more with AA J... F usually had at least 1 "nicer" bottle)

I am interested to see what wine DL serves me this Friday on BOS-DFW. I was planning to just drink topo chicos, but now I'll have to see if there is indeed non-canned wine
The first class offerings were similar to AAs domestic first class offerings on my recent DL flights (no cans).
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:07 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
So, textual interpretation is something I do for a living, and this would be a great example of a legal question that might not be as obvious as just quoting the statute. The question is, of course, what does it mean for the certificate holder to "serve" the beverage to the passenger? Does the FA need to hand me the wine, or is setting it up in the galley enough? It is, after all, still "served" in a sense (in the same way that a buffet is served). Likewise, one could argue that "serve" here just operates to prohibit passengers from consuming their own self-served alcohol rather than to limit the manner of service of airline-provided alcohol. We could argue about whether "serve" is or isn't ambiguous, and a federal court would likely defer to the FAA's own interpretation of the term if it were to be litigated.

I took a look through federal court decisions citing this CFR and there are no court of appeals cases that cite it in any relevant context. Then I pulled FAA hearing decisions and I found some covid-era rulings about folks who violated the CFR in the context of violating a mask mandate or related instruction, but nothing that articulates which of the above definitions of "serve" would prevail. If you know of any relevant rulings that narrow the definition of "serve," I would be interested in them. Otherwise, I have a hard time viewing this as a case of an FAA violation (at least not a clear one).

That was all mostly off-topic. To bring it back on-topic, I gotta say, every time I see this thread and think "man AA is getting it wrong," I remind myself that DL literally serves nasty cans of "white or red" as its options.
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
So, is BYOB the next step? As long as airlines serve it.

Would be a win all around if airlines can coordinate with a liquor wholesaler and airport liquor stores at airside.
A) Passengers can drink what they like.
B)Airlines charge the same price for a ticket, and can consolidate what they want to carry as basic alcohol items.
C) Airport/liquor companies can make more profit now.
Well I only have anecdotal evidence, and that is before the 3-1-1 liquid limitation, AA used to allowed BYOB (wine specifically) in its premium cabin, as long as it is served by the flight attendant.

And yes, who needs a list when you can bring better wine.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 11:55 am

even if they say it's temporary, it's concerning they say they'll have the wine selection on the menu in "spring 2024"
by the book does this mean until late March at the earliest? I would've thought by sometime in jan they'd fix this issue...
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
So what is the long-haul J sparking wine option right now/in general? Is it still Champagne, or have they downgraded even that to Prosecco?
Old Dec 29, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
So what is the long-haul J sparking wine option right now/in general? Is it still Champagne, or have they downgraded even that to Prosecco?
This was the same menu I had on LHR-LAX mid-December before they dropped the wine listing. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35737399-post409.html

But since they're not actually providing a menu , could be anything.
dw likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 5:25 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
So this is the type of thing I thought wouldn't bother me at all, however I'm just off AA105 & none of the FAs could tell me anything about the wine. Like I asked if they had a Cab Sav and she looked at me blankly responding "cab what?". Not sure what red she eventually poured but it was swill.
Antarius and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by safari ari
This was the same menu I had on LHR-LAX mid-December before they dropped the wine listing. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35737399-post409.html

But since they're not actually providing a menu , could be anything.
Probably liquidating a supply of Andr.
fender5787 and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:00 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred

MAD-JFK two weeks ago was gruet https://www.gruetwinery.com/
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:46 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
H. Blin Brut was served on DFW-FRA a few days ago (was the transon J or F champagne at one point in the past few years). Cote Mas was the PDB offering (and unfortunately last weeks Tcon F).

They had two whites (didnt try either), and an Argentinian Cab and Cotes de Rhne for the reds (had the latter and it was a bit sweet).

The FA indicated that they are working down whatever is left in stock and will be moving to a sparkling wine in the spring to save costs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.