No more printed Wine/Champagne/Port list

Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by enviroian
I don't drink wine but I'm flying 53 to LHR tonight and will see what's on the J menu regarding the swill on offer.
I was just curious as to your departure city, but I believe AA53 was from TLV, and not currently operating that route. Maybe AA56 MIA-LHR?

Last edited by Madison Guy; Dec 19, 2023 at 11:45 am Reason: adding guess
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I was just curious as to your departure city, but I believe AA53 was from TLV, and not currently operating that route. Maybe AA56 MIA-LHR?
My bad--yep 56 from MIA tonight.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by enviroian
My bad--yep 56 from MIA tonight.
Thanks!!!! (Looking for data points on the issue - but it does seen to be across the board.)
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This discussion brings back one of the funniest overheard FA/passenger interactions in a lifetime of travel. It was in domestic J, though.

Passenger: "What is your wine selection for the flight?"
FA: "Red, or white"
Passenger: "What reds do you have?"
FA: "No, that's what we have, red or white"
asnovici, wrp96, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Catbert10
This discussion brings back one of the funniest overheard FA/passenger interactions in a lifetime of travel. It was in domestic J, though.

Passenger: "What is your wine selection for the flight?"
FA: "Red, or white"
Passenger: "What reds do you have?"
FA: "No, that's what we have, red or white"
Reminds me of Hot Fuzz.

https://clip.cafe/hot-fuzz-2007/whats-wine-selection/t/1/
Old Dec 19, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I like to think AA is taking a cue from Roy, of the IT crowd, and his approach to selecting wine.

wrp96, robertablake and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
An array

Lame.

robertablake likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 9:37 pm

Unfortunately, not all FAs drink wine, and those that do, cannot take a taste test before flight, to let you know how it is! Having no description for you is utter nonsense!
Spiff, PUCCI GALORE, Gerbs and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by skylady
Unfortunately, not all FAs drink wine, and those that do, cannot take a taste test before flight, to let you know how it is! Having no description for you is utter nonsense!
The same applies to anyone that serves wine anywhere. Save for a sommelier at a top class restaurant, I have no expectation that anyone has tasted everything. That doesn't stop anyone from being able to describe what is available or being served.

the issue isnt that AA FAs dont drink wine. Given AA service standards often fail to meet even the minimum contractual requirements of service, expecting this to work is a pipe dream.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Can someone explain which award AA is marketing on the brochure for their wines? Surely I'm missing the award given for best swill at 30 thousand.
robertablake likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by kg07
moonshine out of a soup bowl
You know what? Moonshine with the right CLT crew might be the trick to get me to enjoy flying AA again.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 12:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by skylady
One does not expect the crew to be sommeliers. I do, however, expect them to know what is on offer on International flight and premium Domestic flights. I donít mind or care if they do not drink wine, gin or any other kind of spirits or if they. Live on herbal teas. Thatís their business and none of mine.

I do, however, expect them to know the basics of wine serving and some of these anecdotes sound as though they were trained at Dennyís. I do as a minimum expect them to know the names of the wines, where they come from, and whether itís a Cabernet, Merlot,or whatever. This falls between a lousy decision at American matched by indifference by crew working on International.
Spiff, IggySD, Gerbs and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Engaging with he FA to "learn more about the selection of wines ..for your enjoyment" is going to by right up there with hitting the call button on their list of reasons to not like a pax.
dw, Spiff, robertablake and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Yeah I'm just going to be a pain and ask to see the bottles. It's AA's fault! Don't get hissy with me, union FAs.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Yeah I'm just going to be a pain and ask to see the bottles. It's AA's fault! Don't get hissy with me, union FAs.
Me too, unless the FA's can give a more detailed description than "red from California".

This will especially be a PITA on those flights where the FA's take your drink orders for dinner before you've even left the gate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.