No more printed Wine/Champagne/Port list

Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Load the menus in the IFE

I want to know what wines they have. Just going to order gin and tonics instead.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Plus they can load whatever two buck chuck they can get their hands on without worrying about printing new menus.
Flew DFW - LHR in Flagship First, seat 1A and can confirm you have to ask the FA. She was actually very lovely, when i asked which reds they had. The response I got was malbec or Pinot. To which I responded from where. She promptly said an Argentinian Malbec and French pinot. I went with the malbec. (Always a safe consistent choice).

Later on she came by to refill my glass by bringing the bottle to my seat and i got a good look at it. I saw she was pouring the brand portillo wine. Which I knew is a swill brand for malbec and legit less than 10$! (A bet even the cheapest malbec isnt too terrible) I was shocked that is what they are serving in first. Switch to scotch right after.
dw, donotblink and FenwayTim like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I don't drink wine but I'm flying 53 to LHR tonight and will see what's on the J menu regarding the swill on offer.
jlemon and donotblink like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PandaSoPink
Flew DFW - LHR in Flagship First, seat 1A and can confirm you have to ask the FA. She was actually very lovely, when i asked which reds they had. The response I got was malbec or Pinot. To which I responded from where. She promptly said an Argentinian Malbec and French pinot. I went with the malbec. (Always a safe consistent choice).

Later on she came by to refill my glass by bringing the bottle to my seat and i got a good look at it. I saw she was pouring the brand portillo wine. Which I knew is a swill brand for malbec and legit less than 10$! (A bet even the cheapest malbec isnt too terrible) I was shocked that is what they are serving in first. Switch to scotch right after.
I flew the same flight in F earlier in the year and the quality of wines generally was similar across the board - 6 or 7 selections iirc. Champagne was certainly serviceable but the still wines were barely passable. The plum cake with crumble topping went incredibly well with the port they had on board, though. Incredible that the port that runs $18-30/bottle that they have on board with at least 10-15 pours in it rather than the 5 or so pours in the cheap bottles so outclasses those other wines.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by AA EXP DFW-LON
On yesterday's LHR-JFK flight, the J menu no longer listed any Champagne, Wine, or Port. Instead, the menu says that “We invite you to engage with our flight attendants to learn more about the selection of wines available for your enjoyment.”
Will be interesting to see if this is the case on my next TATL tomorrow. If so, then I will also be interested to see (1) if the flight attendants have been informed that the menu says we are to ask flight attendants about the wines, and (2) if the flight attendants know anything about the wines.
dw likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip>Later on she came by to refill my glass by bringing the bottle to my seat and i got a good look at it. I saw she was pouring the brand portillo wine. Which I knew is a swill brand for malbec and legit less than 10$! (A bet even the cheapest malbec isnt too terrible) I was shocked that is what they are serving in first. Switch to scotch right after.
And yet... you apparently drank the first glass, prior to the offer for a refill

Regards
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by scubadu
And yet... you apparently drank the first glass, prior to the offer for a refill
Once you know what it is, it starts tasting differently.

After five or six glasses it starts tasting better again as you forget what it is.

dw, skunker, Gerbs and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by enviroian
I don't drink wine but I'm flying 53 to LHR tonight and will see what's on the J menu regarding the swill on offer.
You mean you will take the invitation to engage with the FAs...
dw likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
My LHR-DFW F flight yesterday also did not have a printed wine list. The purser joked that it was because it was the end of the year and AA was cleaning out its wine cellar. He brought all the bottles to show us so we could choose.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My last menu

Sparkling Crap wine

White Crap wine A
White Crap wine B

Red Crap Wine A
Red Crap Wine B

A high percentage of the cost of AA Intl, business wine is the cost of the bottle, not the contents; if they spent any less it would come out of a box. To be fair, itís only a temporary measure as theyíre changing wine suppliers.

If if the wine goes for eight dollars a bottle retail, AA is probably only paying four dollars for it.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Will be interesting to see if this is the case on my next TATL tomorrow. If so, then I will also be interested to see (1) if the flight attendants have been informed that the menu says we are to ask flight attendants about the wines, and (2) if the flight attendants know anything about the wines.
They usually donít even know whatís on the menu, only the one red and one white on the cart.

I will occasionally try a half glass of an Italian wine as the Italian make the best inexpensive wines. I have yet to finish the half class, but itís usually not on the cart and I have to point it out on the menu. that option will be gone.

iíll be shocked if the answer to ďdo you have any other winesĒ is something other than ďI donít know
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not sure the motivation unless they re-use these paper menus?

Maybe so that catering can easily swap out wines with comparably awful bottles versus sticking to their pre-determined menu…
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: Lots

So you were enjoying it until you found out it didnít cost enough?
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EP
Timely post. Flew J to Europe on Sunday and can confirm that there was no printed wine list.

I accepted the invitation to ask the flight attendant, and thatís where things got interesting.

Me: What varietals of red do you have?

FA : I will check and let you know after takeoff

(10 minutes elapse)

FA: you wanted red wine, right?

Me: Yes please

FA: OK, Iím going to give you a taste test.

(Walks away and comes back with 2 empty wine glasses and 2 full bottles of red wine. Plunks down the two glasses on my tray tables and fills each glass with red wine while intentionally hiding the label).

FA: OK sir, try them both and let me know which one you like better. Would you like me to bring you a glass of water to rinse out your mouth in between?

Me: (bemused befuddlement). Sure, happy to try them. No water necessary.

(taste each).

Me: Thank you very much, I prefer the Malbec as opposed to the Cote de RhŰne.

FA : Why do you prefer that one?

Me: (bemused befuddlement) Itís a bit more substantive / complex and I feel will be a better compliment to the entrťe

FA: okay - Would you like me to take the other one away?

Me: (bemused befuddlement). Sure.

My takeaways:

1) I have missed an amazing eight consecutive upgrades in a row by one person on the list. My systemwide upgrade cleared for this flight, so she couldíve served me moonshine out of a soup bowl and I probably wouldnít have cared.

2) she was incredibly nice and kept my wine glass filled.

3) With that said, AA needs to bring back the printed wine menus immediately.
PTahCha, Spiff, la2clt and 14 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by kg07
intentionally hiding the label
lol.

This just made my day.
kg07 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.