No more printed Wine/Champagne/Port list

Old Dec 18, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
I would not put it pass both of them to be doing the same thing.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by asnovici
We need to be writing this in every time one of us in in J and they have no wine list. Complaining here does nothing except maybe letting off steam.

especially if you are told (or overhear) the engagement to go like this:

I don't know anything about the wine, we have white and red and you can have your choice. And you have to decide now, before takeoff, which one you want with your meal."
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:18 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by asnovici
We need to be writing this in every time one of us in in J and they have no wine list. Complaining here does nothing except maybe letting off steam.
Except that AA has stopped caring and doesn’t even read complaints anymore upon submission- they just have their system send an automated reply thanking you for your feedback.

There is something fundamentally flawed with the leadership of this company where they no longer give a **** about their inflight product, they just need it to be good enough. As others have pointed out, let’s not forget, their real product these days (and the only one they care about) is their network… albeit one that has become increasingly domestic focused in a time when there’s real forward weakness in that market.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dw
Except that AA has stopped caring and doesn’t even read complaints anymore upon submission- they just have their system send an automated reply thanking you for your feedback.
Then you just need to book a non-joint venture carrier and send AA’s executive office the receipt and let them know that it could have been their revenue.
asnovici and Trouvaille like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:30 pm

I'm sure the big glossy menus were an expense they were looking to shed (and frankly I thought them a bit wasteful in terms of a high-quality item that just goes into a landfill) but a nice middle ground here would have been a lower end printed product more in line with what restaurants with frequently rotating menus do.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Next step: Chicken or pasta?
I actually got that last week on a domestic flight from PHX-MIA, except it was "beef or pasta."
notquiteaff and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Check
I'm sure the big glossy menus were an expense they were looking to shed (and frankly I thought them a bit wasteful in terms of a high-quality item that just goes into a landfill) but a nice middle ground here would have been a lower end printed product more in line with what restaurants with frequently rotating menus do.
I am perfectly fine with a simpler and less fancy menu that has the same basic information. Heck - it’s 2023, save some trees, put it online and let me access it in the app inflight. Or put it on the IFE.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
I am perfectly fine with a simpler and less fancy menu that has the same basic information. Heck - it’s 2023, save some trees, put it online and let me access it in the app inflight. Or put it on the IFE.
Agree. It's not the lack of the printed menu, it's the lack of information now available.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 6:34 pm

especially if you are told (or overhear) the engagement to go like this:

I don't know anything about the wine, we have white and red and you can have your choice. And you have to decide now, before takeoff, which one you want with your meal."
They pretty much already say this. 🙄 At least on domestic flights in J.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by Antarius
It wasn't on the back of the trifold?

I was on 4 longhaul BA flights in the last 10 days and it was on the back. Champagnes, Reds, Whites and Port.
Likewise.. Just back from London last week (BA flight) and printed as its always been and should be..
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:20 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by saunders111
I flew from LHR-PHL on Saturday, and I heard the FA say to another passenger (I paraphrase): "I don't know anything about the wine, we have white and red and you can have your choice. And you have to decide now, before takeoff, which one you want with your meal."

Saunders111
He or She should be ashamed of themselves. Why, pray, did you have to choose now before takeoff? Is this usual aboard American these days?

It beggars belief.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat
The one time I finally got proactive drink refilling from an FA on AA was to top off my unfinished glass of champagne with a different bottle of prosecco... I only noticed when it was already being poured, but I figured it was late enough that I decided not to complain and simply experience this AA-exclusive unique sparkling wine blend. You know what? That glass knocked me out pretty well to get some sleep on a TATL red-eye.

Maybe next time I'll engage with the flight attendants about the wine offerings to see if there are any more unique blends available during service.
Spiff and donotblink like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
They could put the info on the IFE.

And surely what matters is the taste not the price?

Trader Joes does a really nice rose for $3-4 and tastes a lot better than others that cost multiple tInes more.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Didn't UA recently re-introduce wine menus? AA does a great job at cheapening and eliminating what they already have at the same competitors start to invest (or create an aura of premium) in the same thing. For example, seat back screens.

Sadly though, in practice, the entire wine list is almost always undrinkable anyway except the occasional champagne.
I would argue if there is port it is usually decent - an LBV or 10 year tawny. I think it was Quinta de Noval 10 year i had on a somewhat recent transcon.

But the regular reds and whites are astonishingly cheap. Not that price dictates quality, but whoever is selecting is not buying based upon quality. Occasionally there is a pleasant surprise gem but not usually.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:53 am
formerly rt23456p

They could make it on the ife system or like sq, make it online
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:09 am

Did anyone read Gary's post on this? It seems like the reason for the lack of printed wine list is that AA's catering can't guarantee which wines will be loaded on which flights. A better airline would have handled this differently.

https://viewfromthewing.com/from-vin...usiness-class/
This is a temporary change to the inflight dining experience while we transition beverage suppliers. We look forward to bringing back the printed onboard menus in spring 2024.
dw and JJeffrey like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.