Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mileage reinstatement challenge: Loyalty points?

Old Dec 1, 2023, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

Let my wife's AA miles expire (beginning of this year). Relatively-small amount of 31K. AA.com suggested $300 to reinstate. However, within 12 months of expiration, one can do a challenge to earn 2,000 Loyalty Points within 3 months. The AAdvantage agent said the Loyalty points have to be earned on AA flights (difficult as AA does not fly to my parts) so wondering if anyone has the same and what was the experience? I haven't kept up with AA so don't know the first thing about Loyalty Points.

Towards the end of the hypothetical challenge period (did not start it yet, reason as follows), we have a QR I class itinerary (BKK-DOH-LAX so lots - reaccommoodation for a suspended set of SV flights). Wondering if these flights will do the trick?
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:31 am

Sorry, ur as written it us confusing.

first you say that the agent says it must be on AA flights then u ask if your QR flights will do the trick.

confused as to what you are asking

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Let my wife's AA miles expire (beginning of this year). Relatively-small amount of 31K. AA.com suggested $300 to reinstate. However, within 12 months of expiration, one can do a challenge to earn 2,000 Loyalty Points within 3 months. The AAdvantage agent said the Loyalty points have to be earned on AA flights (difficult as AA does not fly to my parts) so wondering if anyone has the same and what was the experience? I haven't kept up with AA so don't know the first thing about Loyalty Points.

Towards the end of the hypothetical challenge period (did not start it yet, reason as follows), we have a QR I class itinerary (BKK-DOH-LAX so lots - reaccommoodation for a suspended set of SV flights). Wondering if these flights will do the trick?
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 777lover
Sorry, ur as written it us confusing.

first you say that the agent says it must be on AA flights then u ask if your QR flights will do the trick.

confused as to what you are asking
Well, the AAdvantage agent said 2,000 LP so I asked her if they have to be flown on AA. She hesitantly said yes so not sure if she even knows what LPs are, or if there are different LPs. I guess I will call again to start the challenge and ask. If the QR flights earn LPs, then I am all set as long as I start the challenge.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Well, the AAdvantage agent said 2,000 LP so I asked her if they have to be flown on AA. She hesitantly said yes so not sure if she even knows what LPs are, or if there are different LPs. I guess I will call again to start the challenge and ask. If the QR flights earn LPs, then I am all set as long as I start the challenge.
Perhaps this thread helps you:

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles Reengagement Challenge
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
There are a lot of ways to earn LP's, are you sure they have to be flight miles?
Is your wife's AAdvantage # on the QR Reservations? it appears QR Does earn AAdvantage miles and LP's Probably 150% with the "I" cabin Bonus
Just curious.. the 31K miles sat dormant for 24 months, then expired a year ago. You stated AA doesn't fly where you are, why after 36 months are you jumping through hoops to save 31K miles that probably still have very little value to you? the 2000 LP's have no value except for this challenge, and they go poof in March of 24? RT
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The AAdvantage agent didn't sound confident. By looks of things, even shopping miles will do.

Expiration was an oversight. We live within literal eye sight of the U.S. but have not travelled anywhere since COVID except by RV. I was tempted to let the 31k miles expire but..... the QR (and certainly hope it earns AA miles as it it OW) flights (reaccommodation from a CXL'd SV flight) are in D, with ~11,560 base miles so the cabin bonus, PLT bonus if we do the challenge + the reinstated 31K would amount to 65k miles. At least getting some value. I agree 31k by itself isn't worth much

As for QR, the same SV PNR is shared by AF Flying Blue and QR. Putting one FF no. in nukes the other. I will let it take the AF number first and then weeks later on the return, put in the AA number.

As for where we are, we've lost a lot of service to the U.S. so there's only the 1x daily AS flight (other 1-2x daily Cessna Caravan flight doesn't count). The miles will be good from a nearby airport (just a PITA to get to due to it being overseas) where AA, BA, AS, JL and maybe CZ again in the future fly to. Otherwise locally, it's the 1x daily on AS (which I was only vaguely aware had joined OW).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.