Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Web site no longer has an option to print boarding passes for some? [Unconfirmed]

Web site no longer has an option to print boarding passes for some? [Unconfirmed]

Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Checked in online for my flight tomorrow. I like using a printed boarding pass because I like having my phone in my pocket when I board or in my briefcase when I go through security. Because I'm traveling internationally, I check in using the iPhone app so I can verify my passport easily. My next step used to be to bring up the website and print my boarding passes. However, the new GUI that was rolled out a few days ago no longer has an option to print boarding passes. Is it buried somewhere not obvious? I have my boarding passes on my phone and the web site says I'm checked in, but no option to print my boarding passes. A major degradation in usability, IMO.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Checked in online for my flight tomorrow. I like using a printed boarding pass because I like having my phone in my pocket when I board or in my briefcase when I go through security. Because I'm traveling internationally, I check in using the iPhone app so I can verify my passport easily. My next step used to be to bring up the website and print my boarding passes. However, the new GUI that was rolled out a few days ago no longer has an option to print boarding passes. Is it buried somewhere not obvious? I have my boarding passes on my phone and the web site says I'm checked in, but no option to print my boarding passes. A major degradation in usability, IMO.
And compliance for those companies that require boarding passes to be attached to expense reports. That means you'll need to use the boarding passes on one's phone or print them at a kiosk. Not ideal.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
And compliance for those companies that require boarding passes to be attached to expense reports. That means you'll need to use the boarding passes on one's phone or print them at a kiosk. Not ideal.
Slightly OT - but why do they require this? Never seen a company that needs anything but the ticket receipt or a screenshot of the booking.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Slightly OT - but why do they require this? Never seen a company that needs anything but the ticket receipt or a screenshot of the booking.
Supposedly to ensure one actually took the flights and didn't book, expense and refund them. My prior company required it for all tickets and my current one requires it for any tickets not booked through the CTA.

The easiest thing to do is to print the boarding passes to PDFs from a browser (on all airlines, not just AA). Then, it's easy to attach the PDFs to ERs in Concur.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:59 am

This will be a major issue for a lot of people. If the ommission is deliberate, AA really needs to walk it back.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:06 am

Supposedly to ensure one actually took the flights and didn't book, expense and refund them. My prior company required it for all tickets and my current one requires it for any tickets not booked through the CTA.

The easiest thing to do is to print the boarding passes to PDFs from a browser (on all airlines, not just AA). Then, it's easy to attach the PDFs to ERs in Concur.
Doesn't do much given that the ticket can be canceled after the BP generated...
dw, GaryZ, USFlyerUS and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Years ago AA removed the ability to print the ticket receipt from the kiosks (which was necessary because the website only intermittently provides the "single-page" receipt which includes price and ticket number). I got into the habit of having the AAngels print it, always mentioning that the kiosk used to do this (meaning it was added work for them).

Printed receipts are useful as are printed boarding cards, both in IRROPS and also for any after-the-flight questions, including expenses, audits, legal matters, and of course frequent flyer claims.
mikew99 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Dang. I, too, always print my BP's.

Paper doesn't break

All the best, James
SWCPHX likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
With what I just went through in India, I need everything printed. BP, receipt, itinerary, etc. The military won't let you into the airports without a clear, understandable (to them) printed itinerary
BearX220 and Trouvaille like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I hear you. I've pointed out that having a boarding pass doesn't really prove what they think it does. However, at both companies, talking to AP folks who audit expense reports and set these policies is like talking to a brick wall. It's not worth the fight when it's simple enough to just attach the BPs. I choose my battles and this isn't a battle worth fighting.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
In the past I've had problems with the TSA scanners reading BPs printed at home. Any chance this is related to that?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I hear you. I've pointed out that having a boarding pass doesn't really prove what they think it does. However, at both companies, talking to AP folks who audit expense reports and set these policies is like talking to a brick wall. It's not worth the fight when it's simple enough to just attach the BPs. I choose my battles and this isn't a battle worth fighting.
Interesting. I've never come across this. It's always been receipt or screenshot (If I choose to fly from a client to somewhere for fun, I submit the cost and screenshot of the standard flight home in my invoice/expense). I see the thought process, but as you both pointed out, it doesn't really prove what they hope it to.

As we know, arguing with HR is a fool's errand. They're the "primarily there for your safety" equivalent in corporate.

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
With what I just went through in India, I need everything printed. BP, receipt, itinerary, etc. The military won't let you into the airports without a clear, understandable (to them) printed itinerary
You just need a print out of the itinerary or ticket. Not the BP. That is still available online AFAIK.

My next flight check in opens in a few hours. I will see what happens.
ctbarron likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Antarius
It's always been receipt or screenshot (If I choose to fly from a client to somewhere for fun, I submit the cost and screenshot of the standard flight home in my invoice/expense).
Uh, did you clear that approach with your HR/Travel people? Pretty sure mine would not have accepted any expenses that didn’t actually occur. What‘s next - don’t feel hungry, but submit a photo of a menu at a nice restaurant with a steak circled?

Back on topic, it seems airlines are trying to move people more and more towards using their app for everything. AS started removing boarding pass printers from their lobby areas in many airports. If possible, I always print a boarding pass so I don’t have to juggle my phone at security or immigration or the lounge or the gate. I still have the boarding pass on their and screenshotted and in the wallet, but for handing someone else my boarding pass I prefer if it isn’t my phone.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Uh, did you clear that approach with your HR/Travel people? Pretty sure mine would not have accepted any expenses that didn’t actually occur. What‘s next - don’t feel hungry, but submit a photo of a menu at a nice restaurant with a steak circled?
I've run into some sticklers, but usually it has never been an issue. To clarify, money was spent; I wasn't pocketing it. The cases where this would come up would be instead of flying CLT-IAH, I would fly CLT-JFK-CDG for the weekend. Customer isn't expected to pay extra for my wanderlust. Fortunately, I never had to book the flight, expense it, then cancel it, get a credit and book whatever I want.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Back on topic, it seems airlines are trying to move people more and more towards using their app for everything. AS started removing boarding pass printers from their lobby areas in many airports. If possible, I always print a boarding pass so I don’t have to juggle my phone at security or immigration or the lounge or the gate. I still have the boarding pass on their and screenshotted and in the wallet, but for handing someone else my boarding pass I prefer if it isn’t my phone.
It's easier and cheaper to not have staff to do this and kiosks around to print. I see why they want to push that way.

I get BPs printed on card stock for every flight. Have thousands stacked up in a box.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Catbert10
Is the print option completely removed? You can no longer save to a pdf and print from a laptop?

Or is this only an issue checking in through the app? I don't use the app, so not sure how that works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.