Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

23 Dec 2023 AA5322 CLT-GRR has scheduled arrival at 2:21 AM, what's up?

Old Nov 28, 2023, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro

I searched Phantom on AA Forum but found not quite what was appropriate.

So I was toying around with fares, as one does, today. Ran across GRR-LGA-RIC-CLT-GRR departing on 12/22. The interesting thing was the final leg:

CLT - GRR

Charlotte, NC to Grand Rapids, MI
Saturday, December 23, 2023
12:14 AM2:21 AM (WHAT???)
AA 5322CR7-Canadair RJ 700
Operated by PSA Airlines as American Eagle
Travel info
Travel time:2h 7m

GRR never has a scheduled arrival that late/early by any carrier.

It is not bookable via AA.com. It shows as an option on a same day RT but does not show as a standalone one way flight. EF also denies flight 5322 exists that day (could be part of their current AA glitch). Curious if this is some sort of placeholder flight in case it is needed due to holiday traffic? Or simply just phantom nonsense?
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Wouldn't be surprised. AA has been in the habit of loading up an extra late night bank out of CLT on the peak travel days for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I remember well (but not fondly) a Sunday after Thanksgiving flight from CLT to DTW that departed around midnight....

Do a search for CLT flights that day: you see GRR, DTW, MKE, etc that day around that time.
Antarius, dw and MCI777 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
I searched Phantom on AA Forum but found not quite what was appropriate.

So I was toying around with fares, as one does, today. Ran across GRR-LGA-RIC-CLT-GRR departing on 12/22. The interesting thing was the final leg:

CLT - GRR

Charlotte, NC to Grand Rapids, MI
Saturday, December 23, 2023
12:14 AM2:21 AM (WHAT???)
AA 5322CR7-Canadair RJ 700
Operated by PSA Airlines as American Eagle
Travel info
Travel time:2h 7m

GRR never has a scheduled arrival that late/early by any carrier.

It is not bookable via AA.com. It shows as an option on a same day RT but does not show as a standalone one way flight. EF also denies flight 5322 exists that day (could be part of their current AA glitch). Curious if this is some sort of placeholder flight in case it is needed due to holiday traffic? Or simply just phantom nonsense?
Well, as of now I'm seeing it sold as a standalone on AA.COM and shows on EF - even with 5 seats showing occupied.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Wouldn't be surprised. AA has been in the habit of loading up an extra late night bank out of CLT on the peak travel days for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I remember well (but not fondly) a Sunday after Thanksgiving flight from CLT to DTW that departed around midnight....

Do a search for CLT flights that day: you see GRR, DTW, MKE, etc that day around that time.
Yup. They also largely stop flying on days like thanksgiving after the late morning/early afternoon. No point running empty metal when no one is flying (save for low yield bargain hunting) and load up the schedule when people need to go home.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
At least prior to the pandemic, on the busiest holiday travel days, AA has been known to add redeyes on routes like DFW-LGA and PHX-DFW so this flight is believable. On 12/23, for example, there is AA1793 leaving PHX at 12:51am and arriving DFW at 4:13am.

The flights sound absolutely miserable to me, but extra capacity at the busiest travel times makes sense.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
AA ran 12:30 AM banks out of CLT on both Saturday night (11/25) and Sunday might (11/26) last weekend.
keyw likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've updated this thread's title to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:06 am

Yah, if the airline can run extra segments to get people where they want to go and make money doing it, more power to them. Win win.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
I imagine this serves two purposes: Catch the college market and avoid holiday histrionics.

You have millions of college students (and grad students, and young working people) rushing to head home to their parents on those two holidays. These travelers are especially price-sensitive and probably have the highest tolerance for horrible flight times. So, they're willing to do the redeye to save a buck.

Then there's the benefit of overflow capacity. This is very secondary, as U.S. airlines are not in the business of spending a lot of money to be helpful. But if there are operational issues just before the holidays (such as winter weather), having this backup bank of flights will allow AA to accommodate misconnections and get families home for the holidays. That saves a lot of holiday plans and spares AA from the bad PR, tied-up phones, and in-terminal tensions resulting from hundreds more passengers being stranded on Christmas Eve.
lowfareair and jamiel like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:45 am

Holiday issues and college students aren't an issue at Christmas. Most colleges on the semester system are done by the 15th of December, and the students don't return to campus until at least the second week of January.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I'll tell you what's up....

....a whole bunch of tired cranky passengers at 2:21am in GRR!
keyw, Bradhattan, S80 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 355F1

Fitting for the airport code. Grrrrrr....
hhdl, Spiff, Flyer78 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by 355F1

Not to mention airport workers!
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I imagine this serves two purposes: Catch the college market and avoid holiday histrionics.

You have millions of college students (and grad students, and young working people) rushing to head home to their parents on those two holidays. These travelers are especially price-sensitive and probably have the highest tolerance for horrible flight times. So, they're willing to do the redeye to save a buck.

Then there's the benefit of overflow capacity. This is very secondary, as U.S. airlines are not in the business of spending a lot of money to be helpful. But if there are operational issues just before the holidays (such as winter weather), having this backup bank of flights will allow AA to accommodate misconnections and get families home for the holidays. That saves a lot of holiday plans and spares AA from the bad PR, tied-up phones, and in-terminal tensions resulting from hundreds more passengers being stranded on Christmas Eve.
I doubt it’s really either of those. I think it’s just extra capacity for the holiday rush and that is when planes are available.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ty97
At least prior to the pandemic, on the busiest holiday travel days, AA has been known to add redeyes on routes like DFW-LGA and PHX-DFW so this flight is believable. On 12/23, for example, there is AA1793 leaving PHX at 12:51am and arriving DFW at 4:13am.
Yep. In past years there were a host of one-off holiday special semi-redeye YESOPS (to create a new industry term) out of DFW. Not just Thanksgiving but I think in some years it even extended to Spring Break return Sunday and it wasn't just DFW-LGA. There were quite a few eastbound semi-redeyes leaving DFW in what was normally the exclusively westbound 2230W bank.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.