seat switching fiasco

Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

seat switching fiasco

I'm currently flying MIA-PHX. Seat 27B. Normally I would prefer F (seat, not class.... well, class too) but on the neo the exit door really cramps that seat, so I prefer B (there's no A, just a jumpseat across from where A is supposed to be)

Anyway I board with group 4 because wow, the Amex lounge is far from D48.

So when I board, a woman is in 27C and a guy in 28D 27D. E is empty, F is occupied. I sit down and the guy asks if I would switch because he and C are traveling together. I say no, sorry, I don't like that seat. He says "wow, really?" I say, yeah, I don't do aisles (I have wide shoulders and hate getting bumped every time someone walks by). He starts with the attitude, so I put in my ear buds and turn the music on. Admittedly I could have been a little more thoughtful and given a full explanation beyond "I don't do aisles" but I was out of breath because, wow, the amex lounge is far from D48. Who designed this airport anyway? A marathon runner?

Anyway so C moves to E because apparently they can't be more than 1/8 of an inch apart for 4.5 hours. True love I guess. The lady didn't really seem upset but the guy spent the rest of boarding complaining to the FA that I wouldn't switch. He seems really butthurt over the whole thing.

It worked out great for me because now I'm in the seat I want and the seat beside me is empty...

Am I the a-hole here? If I had wanted an aisle I would have selected one (the whole row was free when I picked my seat)

Fun times....

Last edited by VegasGambler; Nov 12, 2023 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Nope not the a-hole. It’s your seat. If they wanted to be next to each other, they should’ve reserved seats next to each other. And you don’t owe them any explanation.
Spiff, SK, karenkay and 19 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Those tater tots really put you in a bad mood.
travelingdrsuz likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by js1993
Those tater tots really put you in a bad mood.
It was more the run over from the amex lounge which I'm pretty sure is back in miami beach
wrp96 and mnhusker like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:31 pm

Programs: NW, AF, AA, Hilton
No, you thought ahead to chose your seat.
DASRTR, AJNEDC and travelingdrsuz like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You dont owe anyone switching seats nor an explanation why you dont want to switch seats. If he cant let it go, its his problem.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
You were not obliged to switch seats, and their seating preferences shouldn’t be your concern. They had the same ability to choose seats as everyone else on the plane, obviously with less flexibility as seats filled up (but again, that isn’t your concern). I always have to remind myself in situations like this (not just seat swapping) that I don’t owe any explanation. “No, thank you” is sufficient. I think I learned that a long time ago from some Miss Manners column where someone didn’t want to host distant family at their house for a one week vacation. No explanation required, just “I am sorry, we won’t be able to accommodate you.”

Ear buds FTW!
enviroian, wrp96, ysolde and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Can we get a CL crowding report? Was there two weeks ago and for the first time ever, it was not packed to the gills. The food was quite good too!
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:54 pm

By the way: NTA.
karenkay, wrp96, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Can we get a CL crowding report? Was there two weeks ago and for the first time ever, it was not packed to the gills. The food was quite good too!
It was busy and kind of loud but not packed. The front area was full but there were lots of seats in the areas further from the door. I think the $50 fee for guests is really helping. Last time I was there there was a bit of a lineup to get in but a lot of couples were turning back after learning about the fee. Even though the one with the card can enter, they won't unless both can. Which actually kind of makes it worth the fee ($50 for 2 people, effectively) but I guess a lot of people don't want to pay it.

The food was pretty good both times I was there. The whole thing is way better than either of the ones in PHX.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It was busy and kind of loud but not packed. The front area was full but there were lots of seats in the areas further from the door. I think the $50 fee for guests is really helping. Last time I was there there was a bit of a lineup to get in but a lot of couples were turning back after learning about the fee. Even though the one with the card can enter, they won't unless both can. Which actually kind of makes it worth the fee ($50 for 2 people, effectively) but I guess a lot of people don't want to pay it.

The food was pretty good both times I was there. The whole thing is way better than either of the ones in PHX.
$50 for two people isn't that bad - considering its open bar and open buffet. Some people really are that damned cheap.

My experience was similar to yours - the main atrium seating and bar area seating were full, but the other bar area was wide open.

For the first time, I was quite pleased with the food options - for once it wasn't chicken thighs.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
$50 for two people isn't that bad - considering its open bar and open buffet. Some people really are that damned cheap.
If you arent drinking, that can still be fairly reasonable cost for meal for two (airport pricing and all), but steep if you wouldnt be otherwise eating pre-flight.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Segments
If you arent drinking, that can still be fairly reasonable cost for meal for two (airport pricing and all), but steep if you wouldnt be otherwise eating pre-flight.
All I drank in there was water and I had a very small amount of food. I wasn't hungry at that time. But then I didn't pay to enter.

I do feel that the seating is intentionally uncomfortable. Actually to be honest I'm not sure why I was there.
Dublin_rfk and eqeqeqx like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Segments
If Im traveling solo, Ill usually have a full meal plus two drinks. Given airport prices for drinks, twYo drinks alone will be close to $30. Throw in $20 valuation on food and you're at the admission cost - when you bring a guest. Two people at a sit down restaurant at an airport can easily hit $80 to $100 in food and drink.
DASRTR likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
All I drank in there was water and I had a very small amount of food. I wasn't hungry at that time. But then I didn't pay to enter.

I do feel that the seating is intentionally uncomfortable. Actually to be honest I'm not sure why I was there.
To see the teens and Instaglam generation take pictures of themselves to show how exclusive they are being at the Centurion Lounge?
onanisland, wrp96, AJNEDC and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.