Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Credit AA for AMEX-booked flight on Iberia?

Old Nov 6, 2023, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum

Im looking into booking a flight with my amex points on Iberia but Id like to credit AA for the points. When I go to book on the amex travel portal I am only given the option to enter my Iberia frequent flyer number. Does anyone know if Im able to change that later once booked?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
Im looking into booking a flight with my amex points on Iberia but Id like to credit AA for the points. When I go to book on the amex travel portal I am only given the option to enter my Iberia frequent flyer number. Does anyone know if Im able to change that later once booked?
Yes you can change it, however I would recommend not putting any FF# in when you book it, as sometimes they can "stick" and be difficult to change once entered, depending on what and how it's booked.

Just leave the FF# field blank, then once you book it go in to manage your booking through the IB site and add your AA# there.

I just went through this for a CX flight booked a few months ago through Amex, left the FF# blank then added my AA# on the CX site after booking.

It's ridiculous that Amex hasn't updated this to allow you enter any FF# rather than only the specific program of the airline you're purchasing
guv1976 and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Have you explored whether it is better/cheaper to convert some of your Amex points to Avios, and redeem for award travel on IB -- assuming that award availability exists? Of course, on award travel, you would not be able to earn miles on IB, AA, or anybody else.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes you can change it, however I would recommend not putting any FF# in when you book it, as sometimes they can "stick" and be difficult to change once entered, depending on what and how it's booked.

Just leave the FF# field blank, then once you book it go in to manage your booking through the IB site and add your AA# there.

I just went through this for a CX flight booked a few months ago through Amex, left the FF# blank then added my AA# on the CX site after booking.

It's ridiculous that Amex hasn't updated this to allow you enter any FF# rather than only the specific program of the airline you're purchasing
Awesome thanks so much. Yes, seems odd you can't do that from the beginning, but a good work around. I really appreciate you responding.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you explored whether it is better/cheaper to convert some of your Amex points to Avios, and redeem for award travel on IB -- assuming that award availability exists? Of course, on award travel, you would not be able to earn miles on IB, AA, or anybody else.
Thanks for the trip. Just went to the avios/BA website but alas...erroring out and won't let me check anything. Will try again in a bit.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome thanks so much. Yes, seems odd you can't do that from the beginning, but a good work around. I really appreciate you responding.

Thanks for the trip. Just went to the avios/BA website but alas...erroring out and won't let me check anything. Will try again in a bit.
You can try searching for award availability of the IB flight at aa.com, which would display AA's pricing -- not IB's -- if the flight is available to AAdvantage members.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

You can try searching for award availability of the IB flight at aa.com, which would display AA's pricing -- not IB's -- if the flight is available to AAdvantage members.
Yeah I searched AA award travel and had actually booked on that first, but then realized I'd rather use the AMEX points and earn AA miles as I'm a bit behind this year on the status quest. The AA miles were about the same but the Avios were way more. Worth a look though!
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I searched AA award travel and had actually booked on that first, but then realized I'd rather use the AMEX points and earn AA miles as I'm a bit behind this year on the status quest. The AA miles were about the same but the Avios were way more. Worth a look though!
What route are we talking about?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

What route are we talking about?
BCN-ZUR (through MAD) 11/13/23 - showing about 26,000 AMEX points, about the same (slightly less) with AA, and Avios around 35,000. Looking at the 2p (ish) to 6:55p (ish) flight
Old Nov 6, 2023, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BCN-ZUR (through MAD) 11/13/23 - showing about 26,000 AMEX points, about the same (slightly less) with AA, and Avios around 35,000. Looking at the 2p (ish) to 6:55p (ish) flight
OK. When you redeem Avios, you are charged extra for each flight flown. By contrast, AAdvantage redemptions include necessary connections. If this were a simple intra-European nonstop flight on IB, an Avios redemption would almost certainly be cheaper.

I see that Iberia partner Vueling flies BCN-ZRH nonstop, so that might be a cheaper IB Avios (not BA Avios) redemption or cash option. But Vueling is not an AA partner, so you cannot check Vueling award availability on aa.com, or credit Vueling cash flights to AAdvantage. And Vueling is all Economy Class, so it might not suit your needs.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Why not just book the non stop on Vueling or Swiss?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I was thinking the same thing, but admittedly looking at pricing on 11/13 in business the IB connection is $338 while the LX nonstops are $504. And of course Vueling doesn't offer business (not that that's really an issue on a 1.5 hr intra Europe flight).
Old Nov 6, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I was thinking the same thing, but admittedly looking at pricing on 11/13 in business the IB connection is $338 while the LX nonstops are $504. And of course Vueling doesn't offer business (not that that's really an issue on a 1.5 hr intra Europe flight).
To each his own, but he could take the non stop Vueling evening flight with a checked bag and exit row seat and save $100. I know what decision I am making every time.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

OK. When you redeem Avios, you are charged extra for each flight flown. By contrast, AAdvantage redemptions include necessary connections. If this were a simple intra-European nonstop flight on IB, an Avios redemption would almost certainly be cheaper.

I see that Iberia partner Vueling flies BCN-ZRH nonstop, so that might be a cheaper IB Avios (not BA Avios) redemption or cash option. But Vueling is not an AA partner, so you cannot check Vueling award availability on aa.com, or credit Vueling cash flights to AAdvantage. And Vueling is all Economy Class, so it might not suit your needs.
Thanks for looking! Yes I had seen that, and I think there was even a Swiss Air flight that was (slightly) cheaper, but was sticking with the AA/AMEX mileage redemption or credit. although at a certain point it's not worth it. I also have Executive Platinum so an Iberia upgrade is likely, but I've learned over the past few weeks how vastly inferior European business class is compared with US domestic products, so it's not even that much of a motivation.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

To each his own, but he could take the non stop Vueling evening flight with a checked bag and exit row seat and save $100. I know what decision I am making every time.
So I think timing was actually the issue for me. The Vueling flights were either earlier in the morning or the evening. My friend is going to the airport for an 11am international flight, so we are going together, and just makes more sense to be together for the airport trip, and we're checking out of our airbnb that morning, so I'd have to deal with luggage, etc. for the evening flight, and will only have about 36 hours in Zurich, so that mid-day flight is really ideal from a timing perspective. Believe me, after experiencing a few "business class" intra-Europe flights these past few weeks, I'm in no rush to pay up for that product at all. Really exceptionally lousy service.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:49 pm

Last year we flew BA on a ticket bought using Amex points. No AA miles were posted (it's in my Amex profile) but that was easily fixed by contacting AA with the ticket number afterwards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.