Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Weight Restrictions and Carry on Bags/Passengers

Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

On a flight MIA-ANU right now and they keep making announcements that it is a weight restricted flight and that all rollaboard bags must fit in overhead bins. If bags don't fit, they will have to start taking people off of flight.

I've never come across this, if the issue is weight, does it really matter if the bags are in the overhead bins or gate checked? Isn't the weight the same either way?

Anyone have an explanation for this? Will they actually remove passengers from flight instead of unloading bags?

Announcements clearly indicate that if they have to gate check bags they'll remove people from flight. 🤷‍♂️
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Sounds like perhaps they have a cargo issue?

As to gate checked vs. checked, once it's gate checked it's considered checked. There's different weight estimates for in cabin baggage vs. in the cargo hold.
FAA1996 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FAA1996
On a flight MIA-ANU right now and they keep making announcements that it is a weight restricted flight and that all rollaboard bags must fit in overhead bins. If bags don't fit, they will have to start taking people off of flight.

I've never come across this, if the issue is weight, does it really matter if the bags are in the overhead bins or gate checked? Isn't the weight the same either way?

Anyone have an explanation for this? Will they actually remove passengers from flight instead of unloading bags?

Announcements clearly indicate that if they have to gate check bags they'll remove people from flight. 🤷‍♂️
I'm pretty sure (~95%) that carry-on bags are included in the average passenger weight - so when bags are in the passenger cabin they've already been accounted for in the weight calculations. But when those bags are in the baggage hold their weight has to be accounted for separately.

In other words:
Pax+bag in cabin = N
Pax without bag in cabin = still N

Essentially the bag has 0 weight if in the cabin.
WidgetPlanes, wrp96 and FAA1996 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by bse118
I'm pretty sure (~95%) that carry-on bags are included in the average passenger weight - so when bags are in the passenger cabin they've already been accounted for in the weight calculations. But when those bags are in the baggage hold their weight has to be accounted for separately.

In other words:
Pax+bag in cabin = N
Pax without bag in cabin = still N

Essentially the bag has 0 weight if in the cabin.
This explanation makes sense to me. But what would happen if the people who are potentially at risk of not getting their bags in the overhead bins (not due to excess size, but because the bins are full) had instead tried to check those bags upon arrival at the airport -- would the airline have cut off the ability to check bags too? Or is it perhaps the case that they loaded other cargo on the plane based on what had been initially checked by passengers?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
This explanation makes sense to me. But what would happen if the people who are potentially at risk of not getting their bags in the overhead bins (not due to excess size, but because the bins are full) had instead tried to check those bags upon arrival at the airport -- would the airline have cut off the ability to check bags too? Or is it perhaps the case that they loaded other cargo on the plane based on what had been initially checked by passengers?
Not sure. But bags get left behind sometimes in scenarios like this.
ZenFlyer, DiamondMile and deeruck like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Seems to be a 737 on that route, and MIA-ANU isn’t a particularly long flight. Perhaps they can’t/won’t refuel there?

I don’t fly AA much, but I don’t recall ever hearing that passengers were left behind when their carry-on didn’t fit it the overhead bin. Wouldn’t that count as an Involuntary Denied Boarding, since weight/balance exceptions only apply to aircraft with 60 or fewer seats?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Seems to be a 737 on that route, and MIA-ANU isnt a particularly long flight. Perhaps they cant/wont refuel there?

I dont fly AA much, but I dont recall ever hearing that passengers were left behind when their carry-on didnt fit it the overhead bin. Wouldnt that count as an Involuntary Denied Boarding, since weight/balance exceptions only apply to aircraft with 60 or fewer seats?
IDB is only for overbookings
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Overbooking is when more seats than are availble are sold. A reduction in avaliable seseats do to weight and balance is only exempt for aircraft with 60 seats or less. This would be an overbooking. Which is why they probably would have offloaded bags in the end.
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by Aliquot; Oct 28, 2023 at 4:39 pm
Old Oct 28, 2023, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Right, and the definition of overbooking? Bumping, also known as denied boarding, happens when there are more passengers scheduled to fly on an airplane than available seats.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ping-oversales

So if I was told by the gate agent that I couldnt board the flight because there is no space for me and my bag, I would ask so what you are saying is that I have a valid ticket for this flight, but you dont have an available seat for me?

Involuntary denied boarding also requires that the airline first looks for volunteers. Doesnt seem that happened here. Wonder if this was a new gate agent?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Right, and the definition of overbooking? Bumping, also known as denied boarding, happens when there are more passengers scheduled to fly on an airplane than available seats.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ping-oversales

So if I was told by the gate agent that I couldnt board the flight because there is no space for me and my bag, I would ask so what you are saying is that I have a valid ticket for this flight, but you dont have an available seat for me?

Involuntary denied boarding also requires that the airline first looks for volunteers. Doesnt seem that happened here. Wonder if this was a new gate agent?
Good luck with that. The flight is not oversold. There are available seats. Feel free to leave your bag in the terminal and get on the plane.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Good luck with that. The flight is not oversold. There are available seats. Feel free to leave your bag in the terminal and get on the plane.
Wow. You work in AA's CR department? What's next, not offering rebooking for those affected because one could have just discarded one's property?
notquiteaff and fender5787 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cvision
Wow. You work in AA's CR department? What's next, not offering rebooking for those affected because one could have just discarded one's property?
I'm sure you would get rebooked. But this is not covered by the DOT's IDB policy. There is no DOT requirement that you be allowed to bring oversized baggage on board with you.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I'm sure you would get rebooked. But this is not covered by the DOT's IDB policy. There is no DOT requirement that you be allowed to bring oversized baggage on board with you.
I'm constantly amazed at how public forums/comment sections etc showcase truly odd ways of thinking about things.
AJNEDC and Spiff like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamOF
I'm constantly amazed at how public forums/comment sections etc showcase truly odd ways of thinking about things.
The IDB regulation is very specific and narrow. It only applies to cases where the airline overbooks flights, and therefore does not have a seat for you. It's intentionally punitive, to discourage overbooking too much. That's it. It doesn't apply to other situations, no matter how much you would like it to. You don't get to twist it around and claim that you are due IDB compensation when there is no room for your bags but you have a seat. Actually, you can claim whatever you want (it's a free country after all) but in the end the rule will be applied as it's written, not as you would like it to be written.

If you think that the IDB rule should cover situations other than overbooking, I would suggest writing to the DOT and your elected officials. Or you can bury your head in the sand and claim that it applies to other situations, but that's unlikely to be successful.
WidgetPlanes and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
As an update, we made it out with all passengers and bags onboard albeit a bit late. Not sure if weather played an issue but ride was bumpy the whole way. Had to circle 2 or 3 times before landing.
ZenFlyer, wrp96 and spiritkat09 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.