Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free wifi with SWU on international flight?

Old Oct 23, 2023, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum

Does anyone know if one receives free internet on international flights via a SWU upgrade? I've got the American wifi subscription but doesn't seem to be valid on international. Was hoping my Amex platinum would be able to cover the cost if not, but apparently that's a no go too.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
Does anyone know if one receives free internet on international flights via a SWU upgrade? I've got the American wifi subscription but doesn't seem to be valid on international. Was hoping my Amex platinum would be able to cover the cost if not, but apparently that's a no go too.
No, AA doesn't give free wifi.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
AA does not provide any free wifi on long haul international flights. Doesn't matter whether you are in business or economy or upgrade with a SWU or anything else.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Got it - thanks folks. Hearing that they're charging $35 for a one day pass, which seems astronomical
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Is there free messaging?
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Is there free messaging?
No
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Got it - thanks folks. Hearing that they're charging $35 for a one day pass, which seems astronomical
My experience with AA wifi on long haul international is that it's unreliable at best.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coleslaw
My experience with AA wifi on long haul international is that it's unreliable at best.
Oh interesting. So may not work. Then again, I wonder if I might be refunded if it doesn't work well.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:49 pm

Oh interesting. So may not work. Then again, I wonder if I might be refunded if it doesn't work well.
It's not that it doesn't work at all (in most cases). It's usually very slow and regularly cuts out. It's usable for emails but I wouldn't rely on it for a VPN or anything that requires a stable connection.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Have a friend with a Tmobile number you can use?
fotographer likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAAlex
Have a friend with a Tmobile number you can use?
Not helpful for international flights (or anything Panasonic-equipped)

I usually fly partners rather than AA internationally, but I've found the wifi to be quite good when I have been on AA.
DCAAlex and enviroian like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

We'll see how comfortable those lie-flats on the Dreamliner are and if I even feel like staying awake to try .

Thanks folks
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
We'll see how comfortable those lie-flats on the Dreamliner are and if I even feel like staying awake to try .

Thanks folks
They are great! Congrats on the upgrade.
scoonee likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I have it refunded a couple of times when the WiFi cut out for at least half the flight time. The representative was able to verify it on their end.

Take a look at this thread for additional information:
Old Oct 24, 2023, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium

Thanks folks
The beds and plane are great. And if you have an AA credit card you do get a wifi credit, which helps if you really are set. Otherwise, download anything you want to watch so you can avoid the announcements and CC pitches and sleep, which you can do decently well (order an express meal to avoid dragging out the meal service too long if it's not a long enough flight for a good night's sleep--ie only DFW or East Coast to Western Europe.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.