Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Old Dec 29, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by skydve1
I was getting that, then I removed my BE acct # , and it went through.

I liked BE because you could book for several people via the AA site (say a group going to a trade show) , and just add the BE # to the reservation. It seems with the new program you have to book people one at a time. This sucks because I oftentimes fly with non-status folks, and they inherit my EP status for upgrades and 'protection' in case of IROPS, etc.
im sure its right in front of me but I cant find it. do you know where to go to to delete it?
Old Dec 29, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Amil
im sure its right in front of me but I cant find it. do you know where to go to to delete it?
It was on the enrollment screen that you get to after you login here: https://aadvantagebusiness.aa.com/on...y-registration
There was a field for your prior BE acct #, and if it was populated, it would say something like there was a mismatch or error. (it was 10 days ago, so memory is a bit fuzzy..)
Once I removed my BE acct #, the application went through, and I got an e-mail immediately welcoming me to the new AAdvantage Business™ program.
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 1:25 am

Programs: AA EXP.
It was on the enrollment screen that you get to after you login here: https://aadvantagebusiness.aa.com/on...y-registration
There was a field for your prior BE acct #, and if it was populated, it would say something like there was a mismatch or error. (it was 10 days ago, so memory is a bit fuzzy..)
Once I removed my BE acct #, the application went through, and I got an e-mail immediately welcoming me to the new AAdvantage Business™ program.
did that but still isnt working . Im literally copying the details from my EIN form.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Weird. Mine went the other way.

I wasn't able to enroll with or without the BE numbers. Then, magically, yesterday, using the BE number worked. I'm wondering in my case if the latest redemptions needed to clear out???
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I gifted Platinum on 12/14. Points were deducted and thankfully stayed that way. How long should it take for status to kick in?
Status was updated 1/2/24, 19 days later. Interestingly the status still says pending on the BE website but glad it worked!
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Amil
did that but still isnt working . Im literally copying the details from my EIN form.
Same here.

What I want to do is register a different legal entity with the new Business program than I had on BE. Really not sure what to do now.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:24 pm

Anyone know how to escalate at AA? What a nightmare! We spent weeks trying to use our Business Extra points before the expiration. Wanted group tickets using plan-ahead. Ultimately gave-up and gave-in to 2 business class tickets to Asia. Nice but not what we had hoped. System wouldn't work so waited on hold for hours. Live agent gave us a record locator at 5:00pm on the last day of the program. A week later we discovered that the system hit an error around 8:00pm that night and reservation never got "ticketed". Their system error. No notice. No update. Those tickets were worth over 1.2M miles. The only option they are giving us is to convert to 240K miles. Not right. Terrible way to treat their loyal small business customers. Now all the agents are saying is "sorry ... nothing we can do". I've tried talking to a supervisor but nothing. Hitting a brick wall. Anybody have any suggestions?
donotblink likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
So I just noticed that CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard card members are automatically enrolled into the new AAdvantage Business Extra program, and don't need to meet the minimum 5 traveler requirement, but their employees would need to be authorized users of the card, which seems weird. Still, is this new AAdvantage Business just a way for AA to push Citi cards on people? Certainly seems that way.

In any case, RIP BusinessExtra program. Any tips on enrolling for the new AAdvantage Business program? Should I enroll online using my EIN or just open a card? I am seeing some people having issues with the former method so maybe I'll just go the card route. If I do it by opening a card, am I able to add employees who do not have cards so long as they register? Do they need to have an email with the same domain? (we have different domain names for some employees) This seems a bit confusing -- any experiences appreciated
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by cindysilvey
Anyone know how to escalate at AA? What a nightmare! We spent weeks trying to use our Business Extra points before the expiration. Wanted group tickets using plan-ahead. Ultimately gave-up and gave-in to 2 business class tickets to Asia. Nice but not what we had hoped. System wouldn't work so waited on hold for hours. Live agent gave us a record locator at 5:00pm on the last day of the program. A week later we discovered that the system hit an error around 8:00pm that night and reservation never got "ticketed". Their system error. No notice. No update. Those tickets were worth over 1.2M miles. The only option they are giving us is to convert to 240K miles. Not right. Terrible way to treat their loyal small business customers. Now all the agents are saying is "sorry ... nothing we can do". I've tried talking to a supervisor but nothing. Hitting a brick wall. Anybody have any suggestions?
I, too, am pretty bummed and feel pretty burned by AA on this whole BE termination. Curious as to whether you got anywhere with AA. I found their language on the emails and FAQs to be vague, and interpreted the materials to mean that we had until 1/31 to book travel. Either way I couldn't book what I wanted--their tool is garbage and I couldn't manage to find ANYthing in business class ANYwhere with a saver level award.

Anyhow, as of today (2024), at this point am I correct in my understanding that the only thing I can use these BE points toward is a 6:1 AA miles conversion? Is there any benefit to transferring to a new Business account vs. my Personal AA account? At least I'll manage SOME miles out of all of this, but what a worthless heap, really.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GallyChef
I, too, am pretty bummed and feel pretty burned by AA on this whole BE termination. Curious as to whether you got anywhere with AA. I found their language on the emails and FAQs to be vague, and interpreted the materials to mean that we had until 1/31 to book travel. Either way I couldn't book what I wanted--their tool is garbage and I couldn't manage to find ANYthing in business class ANYwhere with a saver level award.

Anyhow, as of today (2024), at this point am I correct in my understanding that the only thing I can use these BE points toward is a 6:1 AA miles conversion? Is there any benefit to transferring to a new Business account vs. my Personal AA account? At least I'll manage SOME miles out of all of this, but what a worthless heap, really.
AA's marketing and communications can definitely stink at a lot of things and the BE transition to AAdvantage Business has for sure been a bit of a mess, however I don't think there was any ambiguity around the fact that all BE points had to be used (for awards) by Dec 15.

From one of the several emails we received:

After December 15, 2023, remaining qualified Business Extra® points can only be transferred as AAdvantage® miles to an individual or an AAdvantage Business™ account, or donated to charity.
So yea, unfortunately now the only thing you can do is transfer then to an AA account at 1:6 ratio.

There's no benefit to transferring them to a business account first, just transfer them to whatever account you want from the start.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA's marketing and communications can definitely stink at a lot of things and the BE transition to AAdvantage Business has for sure been a bit of a mess, however I don't think there was any ambiguity around the fact that all BE points had to be used (for awards) by Dec 15.

So yea, unfortunately now the only thing you can do is transfer then to an AA account at 1:6 ratio.

There's no benefit to transferring them to a business account first, just transfer them to whatever account you want from the start.
Copy, thanks. I suppose I took the optimistic reading, as I was pretty hemmed in and only reached the $5k qualification mark on/around 12/15. Thank you for the info on business vs personal--I'll do that, and at least I'll get my expiration date pushed out to 2026...
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

That's not really true, once the miles are in an individual's AAdvatage account, you can't transfer miles among associated travelers, but you can do that if you have a qualifying business, so it may make more sense to send them to a business account.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by donotblink
That's not really true, once the miles are in an individual's AAdvatage account, you can't transfer miles among associated travelers, but you can do that if you have a qualifying business, so it may make more sense to send them to a business account.
Agree, I guess my point was more that if you know what individual(s) you want to transfer the miles to, then there is no advantage to transferring them to a business account first. Just transfer them directly from BE to those individual(s) from the start.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by perkerkeem
oddly though those 2 have already applied and confirmed upgrades for flights in 5 days. AA app shows my upgrade is still confirmed, so hopefully I don’t get an invol downgrade to middle seat Y as a Christmas check in gift…
Originally Posted by PHL
I got the same email for a BXP3 upgrade confirmed JFK-LHR coming up in March. Problem is that we now run the risk that, at time of check in, the system will want payment in some form (miles, SWU, bxp) if the BXP has been pulled back. Did I misread the terms that upgrade certs had to be both redeemed AND flown by 12/16??

no bueno
Originally Posted by PHL
update: called meeting services. They looked it up and said the upgrade wasn't paid for. I have a confirmation email from 9/1 for a 3/8/24 flight of the BXP3 redemption "Confirmed Business Class". I did the redemption online. It worked, it confirmed, I got a seat assigned. During my phone inquiry, the help desk then pulled the seat and put it back into coach saying there was nothing they could do about it because it was never 'paid for'. I have no idea what that means. Certificate applied and confirmed. I asked to escalate and they said there's no more recourse. And of course the C upgrade inventory isn't put back on the flight.
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Yikes, so it sounds like the best approach right now is NOT to call about these issues?
Originally Posted by PHL
That's your option, but you have a chance that you won't be able to check in when the system doesn't have a certificate attached to it.
Originally Posted by perkerkeem
BXP1 confirmed in advance of December 15th with points returned to me - was able to OLCI just fine
Anyone else successfully flown on a ticket with a confirmed upgrade via a BXP after receiving an (unrequested) return of the points from AA?

Pretty much the same order events as others, although in this case not even all the points have been returned to the account.

0. BusinessExtra account with 2 BXP3s outstanding, among other awards/activity.
1. Prior to December 15, upgraded a LHR longhaul with one of the two BXP3s. Upgrade Confirmed.
2. Subsequently, BusinessExtra account points are returned not for the unused BXP but for the one used on the upgrade. 🤦

Not really relevant, called into regular AAdvantage line today to copay upgrade another leg of the same itinerary, except AAgent states they need to talk to accounting. Afterwards gets back on the line, processes the non-BXP upgrade just fine, but says the return leg isn't ticketed. Ask her to clarify, but she has no idea what BusinessExtra and when I ask her how much it would be she states some ridiculous upfare ($8k) as if she's repricing the itinerary.

She offers to transfer me to Meeting Services, but realizing a HUCA would likely be helpful, had to run. AA.com says Ticketed and Business class on both legs. I'm thinking I'll try to online or even airport check in at T-24 tomorrow, but the BXP was applied to the return leg, so wondering if I'm able to check in and get a boarding pass there's any risk AA pulls the ticket and strands me in Europe.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lasvegasgamer
[…] AA.com says Ticketed and Business class on both legs. I'm thinking I'll try to online or even airport check in at T-24 tomorrow, but the BXP was applied to the return leg, so wondering if I'm able to check in and get a boarding pass there's any risk AA pulls the ticket and strands me in Europe.
I don’t think there is any chance AA strands you in Europe - you have a Y ticket. Worst case scenario is that the upgrade is pulled. From other posts, it sounds like AA’s IT for tracking BXPs was woeful, and numerous posters have had the upgrades applied, flown the upgraded ticket, and also received miles back for the BXP. Your ticket itinerary says ticketed in J - chances are you will be OK.
JJeffrey and Antarius like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.