Upgrade, downgrade, lose seat

Old Oct 15, 2023, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
Upgrade, downgrade, lose seat

Upgrade cleared for 4 pax 20 min before boarding. I thought it suspicious, did some connecting flight get severely delayed? Then after everyone was seated and about to take off, they took away our upgrades and put me into a middle seat at the end of the plane. Other folks also bemoaned losing their original seat selection. Thanks AA!
Old Oct 15, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, United, Delta ex-status
Sounds weird. What flight, airport, and day?
Antarius and FAA1996 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Especially if you have screenshots, you might complain about it to customer service? (If you'd wound up back in your original seats, that'd be one thing, but getting dumped in middle seats [and presumably split up...).

Also, was there any paid seat selection involved?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
My immediate thought was an a321 20J swap for a 16J. But I thought that reconfig was long complete.

As ​​​jayer what flight and route?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
My immediate thought was an a321 20J swap for a 16J. But I thought that reconfig was long complete.

As ​​​jayer what flight and route?
OP said they were kicked out of their seats after everyone was already seated.

Probably there was a late flight and they thought 4 pax would misconnect but they made it.

Personally I would tell them that if they want to remove me from the F seat they can remove the person who they moved into my previous seat. There's no way I would go back to a non-MCE seat.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Probably there was a late flight and they thought 4 pax would misconnect but they made it.

Personally I would tell them that if they want to remove me from the F seat they can remove the person who they moved into my previous seat. There's no way I would go back to a non-MCE seat.
Good point. Yes, seems like exactly this.

Unfortunately, given the "primarily there for your safety" operation that AA is, Y is Y and they'll just as happily toss you back to whatever seat they have.
ProjectRebooter likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Good point. Yes, seems like exactly this.

Unfortunately, given the "primarily there for your safety" operation that AA is, Y is Y and they'll just as happily toss you back to whatever seat they have.
Sure, if you'll go. And they would have put the late F pax back there if they had agreed, too.
LowValueCustomer and Spiff like this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, if you'll go. And they would have put the late F pax back there if they had agreed, too.
Speaking for me personally (and likely my equivalent looking ilk), refusing to get up will end up in Guantanamo or some equivalent location. I do not debate these things beyond a brief exchange.

Once seated (in the right spot), no airline should kick one out. The onus of misconnects is on them. However, in practice, it's not so easy.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium

That was my hypothesis as well.

I didn't want to kick up a huge fuss and delay the flight even further.

What was infuriating was how rude the gate agent was about it, saying stuff like the pax deserve the seats they paid for, and not even a hint of apology.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dedicated
That was my hypothesis as well.

I didn't want to kick up a huge fuss and delay the flight even further.

What was infuriating was how rude the gate agent was about it, saying stuff like the pax deserve the seats they paid for, and not even a hint of apology.
I actually fully agree that the pax deserve the seats that they paid for, but so do I. Comp upgrades are space-available, and if they were given in error I have no problem with them taking them back.

That's why I would agree to move back if they reseat the people who were in my original MCE seat. If they are going to fix the mistake then they need to fix it for everyone. If it's not too late for then to reseat me, it's not too late to reseat the people who were given my MCE seats.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I actually fully agree that the pax deserve the seats that they paid for, but so do I. Comp upgrades are space-available, and if they were given in error I have no problem with them taking them back.

That's why I would agree to move back if they reseat the people who were in my original MCE seat. If they are going to fix the mistake then they need to fix it for everyone. If it's not too late for then to reseat me, it's not too late to reseat the people who were given my MCE seats.
And notably this wasn't a situation where they had a sold out flight and were kicking standbys off.

That being said, depending on the situation (e.g. lounge access, deadlines) I'd be tempted to request being reaccommodated on a later flight if the seats I'd paid for were no longer available.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage

Yes but GAs pressured to get the flight in most cases aren't going to do this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by EXP100
Yes but GAs pressured to get the flight in most cases aren't going to do this.
That's fine; then they can take the time to offload me and my bags.
ProjectRebooter and NonnaGoes like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
That's fine; then they can take the time to offload me and my bags.
They won't offload bags on a domestic flight.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Frustrating but technically allowed per the letter of the CoC. I'd write into customer service and hope for some sympathy miles.
ProjectRebooter likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.