Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA switched my credit from AA LPs to BA Avios/Tier Points

Old Sep 16, 23, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

I was on BA575 connecting to AA107 yesterday. BA575 arrived late and BA switched me from AA107 to BA179. That all worked well - both we and the luggage got to JFK just an hour late. However, in rebooking me, BA changed my FF# from my AA# to my BA FF account #. It shows me accruing BA Tier Points/Avios rather than AA LPs. My wife got AA credit (she doesn't have a BA account).

What's the best/easiest way to get this fixed?
Old Sep 16, 23, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
contact BA and ask them to reverse the points

when that's done contact AA for retro credit
JMN57 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 23, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
contact BA and ask them to reverse the points

when that's done contact AA for retro credit
That's what I ended up doing. Calling BA - they were able to switch my FF# from my BA one to my AA# so we'll see if it credits correctly or if I need to call AA. One reason is that the AA reservation still exists (not all segments have been flown) as we flew LIN-LHR-JFK as the first part of a RT (return is in December JFK-MXP on AA).
Old Sep 16, 23, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JMN57
That's what I ended up doing. Calling BA - they were able to switch my FF# from my BA one to my AA# so we'll see if it credits correctly or if I need to call AA. One reason is that the AA reservation still exists (not all segments have been flown) as we flew LIN-LHR-JFK as the first part of a RT (return is in December JFK-MXP on AA).
Did they actually reverse the already posted transactions or just change the FF # to be used on future flights? I doubt retro changes will happen unless they specifically said the existing flight postings will be reversed.
Antarius and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 16, 23, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
However, in rebooking me, BA changed my FF# from my AA# to my BA FF account #. It shows me accruing BA Tier Points/Avios rather than AA LPs.
Curious if this was evident on the BA179 boarding pass?

Obviously too late now, but if it showed your BA FFN, that would have been an opportunity to have fixed at the gate before boarding. If everything looked ok and it showed your AA FFN, then it's a bit unsettling that you got BA credit.
guv1976 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 17, 23, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Did they actually reverse the already posted transactions or just change the FF # to be used on future flights? I doubt retro changes will happen unless they specifically said the existing flight postings will be reversed.
They'll actually reverse the posted transactions. This has happened to me twice now (AA number in the booking and on the boarding pass, somehow credited to my BAEC), both times they reversed the transaction before I retro-claimed with AA.
_kurt and Snuggs like this.
Old Sep 17, 23, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
They'll actually reverse the posted transactions. This has happened to me twice now (AA number in the booking and on the boarding pass, somehow credited to my BAEC), both times they reversed the transaction before I retro-claimed with AA.
The impression I got is the number in the booking and on the boarding pass is the BA number. We need the OP to confirm one way or the other.
Old Sep 17, 23, 11:48 am
Original Poster

The impression I got is the number in the booking and on the boarding pass is the BA number. We need the OP to confirm one way or the other.
The FF# on the original booking was my AA#. When they rebooked me off of AA107 and onto BA179, they created a new record and they attached my BA# to the new record.
When I called BA, they removed the BA# from the record and added my AA#. Whether that credits automatically or not, we'll see (need to wait 3 days to request mileage credit). I can't look at the outbound segments now that they've been flown (I can see the return in December) but, as I recall, the segment from LHR to JFK essentially disappeared from the record locator completely and appeared under a new BA record locator (even different that the BA record locator for the BA LIN-LHR segment).
Old Sep 17, 23, 11:56 am

The FF# on the original booking was my AA#. When they rebooked me off of AA107 and onto BA179, they created a new record and they attached my BA# to the new record.
When I called BA, they removed the BA# from the record and added my AA#. Whether that credits automatically or not, we'll see (need to wait 3 days to request mileage credit). I can't look at the outbound segments now that they've been flown (I can see the return in December) but, as I recall, the segment from LHR to JFK essentially disappeared from the record locator completely and appeared under a new BA record locator (even different that the BA record locator for the BA LIN-LHR segment).
Got it. I'm very curious to see if this will work. Please report back.
Old Sep 21, 23, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Got it. I'm very curious to see if this will work. Please report back.
Closing the loop. The LPs posted in the last day or two without prompting AA. Seeing I flew last Friday, that is fine.
JJeffrey and USFlyerUS like this.
Old Sep 22, 23, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
If BA added your BA# when they initially made your booking, that BA# remains on the booking even when BA agents remove it and replace it with any other FF #. Agents must remove the BA# first, and then end the transaction. Then they need to retrieve your booking and check if the BA# still exists, only when there are no FF# attached to the booking, can they add another FF# on it. If they do not end the transaction first, but just removing the BA# and then adding another FF # on the booking, BA's AMADEUS will treat BA # as the main frequent flyer number.

Ive had to deal with this issue for over 20 years since BA introduced AMADEUS into our lives.
Old Sep 22, 23, 3:31 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
If BA added your BA# when they initially made your booking, that BA# remains on the booking even when BA agents remove it and replace it with any other FF #. Agents must remove the BA# first, and then end the transaction. Then they need to retrieve your booking and check if the BA# still exists, only when there are no FF# attached to the booking, can they add another FF# on it. If they do not end the transaction first, but just removing the BA# and then adding another FF # on the booking, BA's AMADEUS will treat BA # as the main frequent flyer number.

Ive had to deal with this issue for over 20 years since BA introduced AMADEUS into our lives.
I had to deal with this in reverse yesterday - AA was fighting me on booking a ticket with my BA number (at one point it was refusing to recognize my AA number as being matched to my name despite being logged in on the app when I was booking) and it was trying to force me to re-enter all my info to book with my BA number (and then refusing to recognize that)), so I gave in and booked with the AA number attached. When I tried to get it fixed at the airport, the GA needed a hand and had to perform a bit of black magic to make it work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.