SWU Strategy

Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:21 pm

All I may have a dumb question. I am an EP on AA, I have not selected my reward this year at 175K for two SWU as I want to wait till end of March.
I am using EF to check/see C class availability PER SEGMENT (example searching C for LAX to HND for the remainder of Jan 2024 shows some availabity per day 1 on 1/23, 4 on 1/24, and 1 on 1/29) and when I find something and cross reference with AAs site, I do not see the "Systemwide Upgrade" on the flight selection screen.
Do I need to have active SWUs in my account to search on AA? I thought my EP status allowed me to see without SWUs availabile? I do not want to select my reward till end of March to give me most flexibility.

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kimbray
Do I need to have active SWUs in my account to search on AA? I thought my EP status allowed me to see without SWUs availabile?
I believe you need active SWUs in your account in order to see the Systemwide Upgrade notice.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
I believe you need active SWUs in your account in order to see the Systemwide Upgrade notice.
Yes. It won't show without available SWUs.

Originally Posted by kimbray
All I may have a dumb question. I am an EP on AA, I have not selected my reward this year at 175K for two SWU as I want to wait till end of March.
I am using EF to check/see C class availability PER SEGMENT (example searching C for LAX to HND for the remainder of Jan 2024 shows some availabity per day 1 on 1/23, 4 on 1/24, and 1 on 1/29) and when I find something and cross reference with AAs site, I do not see the "Systemwide Upgrade" on the flight selection screen.
Do I need to have active SWUs in my account to search on AA? I thought my EP status allowed me to see without SWUs availabile? I do not want to select my reward till end of March to give me most flexibility.
Thanks.
Keep using EF. it's way better than the SWU availability feature on AA.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Maybe I am doing it wrong, but when using EF (upgrades and awards) and search segment by segment, I do see decent C inventory, at least to C2. Now of course I have an AAgent who tells me I can't apply an SWU to a BE ticket unless the system changes it to a main cabin ticket.
For elites, the system automatically changes the B code to a main cabin code. It can take an hour or two after ticketing.
fastflyer, HofstraJet and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Yes. It won't show without available SWUs.

Keep using EF. it's way better than the SWU availability feature on AA.
Thanks all. I had read that if you had EP, you coudl see SWUs but I know understand you need active SWUs!

I have two trips international that I will be looking to use SWU against. One is late this calendar year and one is in March 2025. Therefore I am going to wait to load my SWUs till end of March as I cannot see any availaiblity of C that far out on my routes. I am waiting on getting to 250K to get other SWUs and may activate the 2 I get at 175K. Still fighting with shopping portal on some loyality points..
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I currently don't have any SWUs, but can redeem them if I want. Can someone check to see from ExpertFlyer if there is upgradeable inventory (economy to business) from LHR to JFK on March 10? This would be on AA metal.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I currently don't have any SWUs, but can redeem them if I want. Can someone check to see from ExpertFlyer if there is upgradeable inventory (economy to business) from LHR to JFK on March 10? This would be on AA metal.
C=14 on Saturday and C=19 on Monday, but C=0 on Sunday for LHR-JFK. You know you have a year to book using your SWU from time you select them. You can also change flights/itinerary after booking, if your plans change.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Josh Geigerman
C=14 on Saturday and C=19 on Monday, but C=0 on Sunday for LHR-JFK. You know you have a year to book using your SWU from time you select them. You can also change flights/itinerary after booking, if your plans change.
Tnx
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:34 pm

Looking to poll the group on a predicament I have: I have two business class awards reserved from LAX to HND about two weeks out from now that I was able to get for 60k miles each. That said, miles never expire and I have SWUs expiring March 28 that I would like to use. It looks like I can book PE on that flight for $1,500/ticket one way, which isn't horrible, but there is no confirmable C space showing. EF shows 7 J, so there are at least 9 seats available (the seven shown, plus the two I am currently occupying).

I assume I can't hold both at once and that AA would cancel one of the bookings for me.

Would I be a total idiot for gambling on the SWU clearing? PE is fine but on a flight that long you can sure sleep a lot better in business...
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Check
Looking to poll the group on a predicament I have: I have two business class awards reserved from LAX to HND about two weeks out from now that I was able to get for 60k miles each. That said, miles never expire and I have SWUs expiring March 28 that I would like to use. It looks like I can book PE on that flight for $1,500/ticket one way, which isn't horrible, but there is no confirmable C space showing. EF shows 7 J, so there are at least 9 seats available (the seven shown, plus the two I am currently occupying).

I assume I can't hold both at once and that AA would cancel one of the bookings for me.

Would I be a total idiot for gambling on the SWU clearing? PE is fine but on a flight that long you can sure sleep a lot better in business...
This is a bad deal. I would not consider this at all. You are, at minimum, trading off 2.5 cents per mile (actually a lot more, but I'm simply saying 60k vs $1500 is your tradeoff valuation) PLUS a SWU OR your confirmed J seat.

Maybe I would try this gamble if PE was $3-400 and it was a daytime flight, or if Y was $3-400 and empty enough to have my own row. Certainly not at that price. BTW I am not saying this is your intent, but if you do this fairly last minute or frequently, it might be perceived maliciously by AA (i.e., you are basically holding a J seat only to cancel it at the end with the goal of reoccupying it via SWU.)
Check likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Check

The historical upgrade clearance rate on this routing surely varies based on day of week and time of year. This close in, with that many J seats for sale (assuming no fire sale on in app offers), you would likely have high enough probability. If you can travel +/- a day or two, that would increase that probability such that a main economy seat might well be worth buying (which could be refunded) on r/t or open jaw itinerary (which are almost always less than one-ways). Don't forget to calculate the miles (and LP) you will earn if upgraded to C, with the 175% class bonus, that ticket gets you >30,000 LPs and redeemable miles. JAL's low-cost arm (ZipAir) offers lie-flat seats to Tokyo from LAX and Bay area airports for <$1500 and economy for ~$250 one-way, competition which impacts mainline carriers. Did you consider buying the Y ticket for travel on an earlier flight (day before or earlier in the day) and then cancelling the paid ticket if upgrade doesn't clear, and cancelling the award ticket if the SWU clears?
Check likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Actually I have a question. Looking to use a SWU to get over to IST over thanksgiving. So my first task is to find C space over the pond and back to LHR (found it., jfk). Now how do I get AA to apply that SWU to the lhr-Ist flight? Also there is probably no way in hell the aa app is going to show me a TPA-jfk-lhr-Ist flight so I’ll have to ask an AA agent to price it out correct?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Are you looking at the seat map??
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
C=7 is the highest it can go. How do you get C=19 and C=14?
JJeffrey and robertablake like this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Originally Posted by vasantn
Are you looking at the seat map??
Originally Posted by apeortdz
C=7 is the highest it can go. How do you get C=19 and C=14?
Yea, all the LHR-JFK flights are C0 on March 10. Not sure what that poster was looking at to get C19 lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.