Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA fraud department catches someone trying to buy tickets w/ my cc

Old Jul 21, 2023, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody

Just got a call from a 480 area code and didn't answer. Saw the voicemail and they said they were from AA and wanted to confirm I purchased an ATL-PBI ticket for tomorrow for someone with a different name than me. At first I thought could be a scam but they specifically mentioned the last 4 digits of my AA credit card. I googled the phone number they said to call and saw several other reports of people saying it was AA. I then checked my Citi account online and did indeed see a charge for $665. I rang them up and it went right to a person in the AA fraud department. The voicemail had a record locator and the agent asked for that. I said I did not make that charge. The agent gave me the person's name and I have never heard of them. The voicemail said it was not actually ticketed yet and just "on hold". This agent did see a ticket number. He said AA would immediately refund the charge and should see it reversed in a few days. Ironically even the crook knows of AA's operational deficiencies as he bought the travel insurance....which they said would also be refunded.

I was just in Atlanta for work last weekend so assuming either a waiter or someone else who handled my credit card number must have taken the numbers down at some point. Citi is getting a new card out to me and has also flagged the charges. I will say, I am impressed that AA caught this and was proactive in getting in contact. I hope the moron shows up at the airport tomorrow and AA has the police there to question the guy....but the agent said that was unlikely to happen. Either way I appreciate AA's handling of the cc fraud.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Glad it worked out.

It continues to boggle the mind how we are insistent on using chip and signature and are fine with handing off cards to anyone. Chip and pin at a POS brought to you is so many magnitudes safer. And often, it's faster.
hnewman, wrp96, kaszeta and 17 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Yeesh. Glad to hear it was resolved quickly!
chicago747 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:37 pm

you sure they didn't gain access to your aa.com password?
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by audio-nut
you sure they didn't gain access to your aa.com password?
I don't keep the card he used on file in my AA account so he couldn't have bought the ticket that way. I did change the password just in case though.
spiritkat09, Geordie405 and cscasi like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Don't forget to update any recurring payments that were on the old card #.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by chicago747
I was just in Atlanta for work last weekend so assuming either a waiter or someone else who handled my credit card number must have taken the numbers down at some point.
Not necessarily. People have their cards compromised all the time in all sorts of ways. The number could have been taken months ago and put on a list somewhere. I've heard of people having fraudulent charges on a card they've never used. It's hard to pin down exactly how card details get stolen.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Not necessarily. People have their cards compromised all the time in all sorts of ways. The number could have been taken months ago and put on a list somewhere. I've heard of people having fraudulent charges on a card they've never used. It's hard to pin down exactly how card details get stolen.
A while back, I had a card get compromised because the third party billing system my county had been using to process online water/sewer/trash utility payments got hacked. So card fraud issues can indeed come from pretty much anywhere.
formeraa, fotoflyer88 and _kurt like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachmouse
A while back, I had a card get compromised because the third party billing system my county had been using to process online water/sewer/trash utility payments got hacked. So card fraud issues can indeed come from pretty much anywhere.
True, however simple fraud is a big contributor. The lack of chip and pin and the process of handing off cards with zero authentication to wait staff is a big reason why the US leads credit card fraud globally.

Of course, data breaches are also a factor and theres no guarantee. However the fact that this happened shortly after the OP was in ATL heavily suggests it was stolen at a place where the OP had to hand off the card to someone else.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by chicago747
Just got a call from a 480 area code and didn't answer. Saw the voicemail and they said they were from AA and wanted to confirm I purchased an ATL-PBI ticket for tomorrow for someone with a different name than me. At first I thought could be a scam but they specifically mentioned the last 4 digits of my AA credit card. I googled the phone number they said to call and saw several other reports of people saying it was AA. I then checked my Citi account online and did indeed see a charge for $665. I rang them up and it went right to a person in the AA fraud department. The voicemail had a record locator and the agent asked for that. I said I did not make that charge. The agent gave me the person's name and I have never heard of them. The voicemail said it was not actually ticketed yet and just "on hold". This agent did see a ticket number. He said AA would immediately refund the charge and should see it reversed in a few days. Ironically even the crook knows of AA's operational deficiencies as he bought the travel insurance....which they said would also be refunded.

I was just in Atlanta for work last weekend so assuming either a waiter or someone else who handled my credit card number must have taken the numbers down at some point. Citi is getting a new card out to me and has also flagged the charges. I will say, I am impressed that AA caught this and was proactive in getting in contact. I hope the moron shows up at the airport tomorrow and AA has the police there to question the guy....but the agent said that was unlikely to happen. Either way I appreciate AA's handling of the cc fraud.
The scammers are most likely not the person whose name was given to you and would show up to fly this ticket. There are many shady travel agencies that advertise highly discounted tickets who buy access to these stolen credit lines and use them to book for unsuspecting customers. It would be too risky for them to show up for these flights and probably aren't based in the US. They're doing it at scale and don't need hundreds of thousands of dollars in flight tickets - they're looking to simply cash out and get paid a fraction of the fraudulent charge.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Don't forget to update any recurring payments that were on the old card #.
I keep a credit card sequestered for recurring charges only.
Changing all the recurring payments due to a card being compromised is such a pain.
I learned the hard way.
hurnik, LETTERBOY, clbish and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: CK or bust
Did the fraudster get offered a paid upgrade? Otherwise this doesn't count.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Did the fraudster get offered a paid upgrade? Otherwise this doesn't count.
When AA called they referenced a $577 airline ticket. The charge pending is $665....so guessing he DID get offered the upgrade and even the fraudster realized $88 is worth it for the snack basket and a few rounds of drinks.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I like it when restaurants have a POS system that allows the waiter to charge the card in front of me. The whole taking the card and disappearing into the back leaves too many opportunities for shenanigans to happen.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcmike
I like it when restaurants have a POS system that allows the waiter to charge the card in front of me. The whole taking the card and disappearing into the back leaves too many opportunities for shenanigans to happen.
Providing they hand you the device and you tap or insert the card yourself. There are devices than can read all of your RFID cards in your wallet without ever taking it out of your pocket. Handing a card to a server tableside still has a potential for skimming.

James
formeraa and dcmike like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.