Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Old May 2, 2024, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It will depend on the route - it isn't freight fees, it is simply excess baggage fees. On most routes, baggage allowance is a weight allowance ; only where travel is to or from Africa, Argentina, Brazil, Canada and the USA, is the allowance based on pieces. The excess rates are listed at https://www.qatarairways.com/en/baggage/excess.html in the 'Standard Rates' tab
-
You are correct. Terminology aside, OP of this thread was quoted ~ $1565.00 (USD), all as excess baggage since he had zero allowance. This was for two normal pieces of luggage, which totaled 39kg.
$1565 to me is a steep "Lets roll the dice" gamble- especially if the travel documents clearly state "Checked Baggage Allowance - Not Included."
Old May 2, 2024, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
It will depend on the route - it isn't freight fees, it is simply excess baggage fees. On most routes, baggage allowance is a weight allowance ; only where travel is to or from Africa, Argentina, Brazil, Canada and the USA, is the allowance based on pieces. The excess rates are listed at https://www.qatarairways.com/en/baggage/excess.html in the 'Standard Rates' tab
-
Right. For no allowance on the ticket originating in the US, I would have expected to be charged for excess pieces.

Wondering if they've fixed the issue/put in a workaround or it only applies to the weight side and not piece.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:51 pm

This is yet another "surprise!" that has come on my itinerary. I'm flying First Class A380 from BKK-DOH and in asking about something unrelated, the agent informed me that my tickets don't have baggage allowance and to contact AA. Sure enough I went to the Qatar app today and realized there is no allowance. Interestingly, AA has so far said that the tickets have 50kg attached, which is correct considering BKK-DOH should have 50kg in first. Not sure what or who to believe at this point.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:58 pm

Amusingly, the contract of carriage provided in QR's emailed itineraries explicitly states baggage by class, so you'd think this wouldn't be an issue at all and agents could just look at the ticket class...
Old May 3, 2024, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
This is yet another "surprise!" that has come on my itinerary. I'm flying First Class A380 from BKK-DOH and in asking about something unrelated, the agent informed me that my tickets don't have baggage allowance and to contact AA. Sure enough I went to the Qatar app today and realized there is no allowance. Interestingly, AA has so far said that the tickets have 50kg attached, which is correct considering BKK-DOH should have 50kg in first. Not sure what or who to believe at this point.
IMHO, I would only believe what is printed on either the QR ticket, or can be pulled up under your QR reservation showing you have a baggage allowance. What someone told you on the phone is not a solid bargaining position.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
IMHO, I would only believe what is printed on either the QR ticket, or can be pulled up under your QR reservation showing you have a baggage allowance.
Doesn’t the US DOT require airlines to print the baggage allowance/fees on the ticket confirmation? So if AA issued an award ticket and the confirmation showed the correct allowance, but the ticket didn’t actually come with that allowance attached, wouldn’t a DOT complaint potentially result in AA being held responsible? (and even fined)
Old May 3, 2024, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Doesnt the US DOT require airlines to print the baggage allowance/fees on the ticket confirmation? So if AA issued an award ticket and the confirmation showed the correct allowance, but the ticket didnt actually come with that allowance attached, wouldnt a DOT complaint potentially result in AA being held responsible? (and even fined)
BKK-DOH is nothing to do with DOT ; the DOT regulations apply to tickets to /from /within the USA
Old May 3, 2024, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
Quick update. I was RELENTLESS the past few hours. Contacting by Chat, Twitter (X) and calling. No one would properly issue. Call center put it "On Request" which said anywhere from 24 hours to 4 days. The app kept telling me to go back to Qatar. Twitter also confirmed 50kg, but nonethless it was NOT attached. Finally, I copied and pasted the following into Twitter. "Hello, my first class award ticket XXXXX (AA Code, Not QR Code) does not have a checked baggage allowance endorsement section on the confirmation. A Qatar Airways agent confirms that there's no checked baggage allowance attached to my ticket. Can you re-issue the ticket with the correct checked baggage allowance endorsements added?" After I did this, approximately 10 minutes later X Team (Formerly Twitter) let me know it was completed. I double checked those details on Malaysian like other suggested and sure enough, 50kg attached to the PNR. Thanks to all who helped conquer another Award space mind boggler.
WannaTheater likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
BKK-DOH is nothing to do with DOT ; the DOT regulations apply to tickets to /from /within the USA
Do they not apply to US airlines tickets?

Also, I at least didnt just fly to DOH. I flew to the US via DOH.
Old May 3, 2024, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Do they not apply to US airlines’ tickets?

Also, I at least didn’t just fly to DOH. I flew to the US via DOH.
I don't think it applies where DOT has no jurisdiction. If your journey was to/from USA then baggage fees for 1st 2 pieces should have been disclosed.

I have an award booking for LHR-DOH-BNE and the receipt from AA has no mention of baggage allowance in it. When I go to QR's site and check the booking, it does indicate a 40kg allowance and the ticket that I obtained from the QR site also shows a 40Kg allowance - so I am fairly confident that I have a 40Kg allowance

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 4, 2024 at 12:02 am
Old Jun 2, 2024, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I'm glad I found this thread.
I called AA EXP desk and explained about the baggage allowance issue, but the first agent insisted there was no mistake with my ticket and kept telling me that I had the checked baggage allowance based on my OWE status even it didn't show at QR's website when I checked my booking over there (I confirmed this with QR agent as well before I called AA). I asked her to contact OW liaison about the issue. She put me on hold briefly and came back saying the same thing and no ticket reissue...then suddenly the phone call was dropped. I thought she hung up on me, but then the computer asked me if I wanted to connect to a different agent, so I chose YES. Fortunately I got a very nice agent this time. I explained to her about the issue again, and she told me she got the same phone calls many times and she knew how to fix it
After a brief hold she came back and told me my ticket was set to reissue. She mentioned it might take a week or so just because my trip is next January.
Actually my ticket was reissued the next day and now I can see the correct baggage allowance (2x 32kg) indicated at both QR website and QR app.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just have a DXB-DOH-HKG ticketed by AA.

There is nothing mentioned about checked bag or even carry on bag on QR's ticket found on QR site, nor on QR itinerary.

Does that mean I too, have the same issue so many have suffered before?

Also is this specifically referred to checked bag, but not the carryon bag and personal item?

Update
On the chat now. Chat rep confirms there is NO checked bag allowance but claims since this is QR flight, QR policy governs....
I tried to explain to him to check with the rate desk, or help desk, this is an ongoing known issue that AA needs to reissue ticket to attach the bag allowance.
He kept insisting this is Qatar policy that "We do not reissue ticket to allow checked bags"
I kept asking him to check with his rate desk. He now said gave him 5 min to check...

I am not hopeful.

Sure enough, he came back insisted this is a Qatar operated flight hence Qatar baggage allowance applied. He did not understand the issue at all even after checking with somebody for several minutes. Came back with the same nonsense answer claiming whoever he checked with, told him the same.

Looking at QR Trip Summary online
There is a column called
Class /Checked baggage allowance
First is shown, but Checked baggage allowance is empty.

So it definitely has no checked bag allowance, and the chat rep confirmed it but insisted QR policy governs.... SIGH.

May need to open an account on X and go that route.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 13, 2024 at 7:40 pm
Old Jun 13, 2024, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
I just have a DXB-DOH-HKG ticketed by AA.

There is nothing mentioned about checked bag or even carry on bag on QR's ticket found on QR site, nor on QR itinerary.

Does that mean I too, have the same issue so many have suffered before?

Also is this specifically referred to checked bag, but not the carryon bag and personal item?

Update
On the chat now. Chat rep confirms there is NO checked bag allowance but claims since this is QR flight, QR policy governs....
I tried to explain to him to check with the rate desk, or help desk, this is an ongoing known issue that AA needs to reissue ticket to attach the bag allowance.
He kept insisting this is Qatar policy that "We do not reissue ticket to allow checked bags"
I kept asking him to check with his rate desk. He now said gave him 5 min to check...

I am not hopeful.

Sure enough, he came back insisted this is a Qatar operated flight hence Qatar baggage allowance applied. He did not understand the issue at all even after checking with somebody for several minutes. Came back with the same nonsense answer claiming whoever he checked with, told him the same.

Looking at QR Trip Summary online
There is a column called
Class /Checked baggage allowance
First is shown, but Checked baggage allowance is empty.

So it definitely has no checked bag allowance, and the chat rep confirmed it but insisted QR policy governs.... SIGH.

May need to open an account on X and go that route.
Saw this posted in a discussion of this issue on Reddit:

"You need to call AA, and ask for the liaison office. Had it confirmed that the AA award ticket caused the issue. Agent was able to reticket the award, and the baggage allowance for each ticket was again properly credited. AA award ticket received an email about a change in itinerary and it now shows correct baggage. No email from QR, but website now shows correct baggage." (Emphasis added.)

Good luck!
Happy likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Saw this posted in a discussion of this issue on Reddit:

"You need to call AA, and ask for the liaison office. Had it confirmed that the AA award ticket caused the issue. Agent was able to reticket the award, and the baggage allowance for each ticket was again properly credited. AA award ticket received an email about a change in itinerary and it now shows correct baggage. No email from QR, but website now shows correct baggage." (Emphasis added.)

Good luck!
Thanks for the info - hopefully should cut down the nonsense trying to get to the right dept. that can fix the issue.

I will try calling tomorrow, before I open an X account for this mess.

I also want to clarify this, the issue is about checked bag allowance, but everyone has the carry on bag allowance up to a combined total of 15KG 2 pcs, right? As that is specified in the attached Carrier Contract QR sent with the email.

The email I got from QR after request emailed summary, does not have the image posted up thread a few months ago, as Checked Bag Not Allowed. The summary now has a column called Class/Checked baggage allowance. Under it, the AA ticket only has the Class shown, First. Then empty info on the checked baggage allowance.

The QR issued QR Avios booking shows First, pieces 2 per piece 32 kg. It is a DXB-DOH-MIA ticket hence it is in piece count with weight limit on each piece.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Happy
The email I got from QR after request emailed summary, does not have the image posted up thread a few months ago, as Checked Bag Not Allowed. The summary now has a column called Class/Checked baggage allowance. Under it, the AA ticket only has the Class shown, First. Then empty info on the checked baggage allowance.
From the QR website, after looking up the reservation with your QR confirmation code and last name:

From the "XXXXXX Qatar Airways - Trip summary" email:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.