Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Old Jun 19, 2023, 10:07 am

OP thanks for alerting us to this potential problem. I have flights MAD-DOH-NRT and HKG-DOH-MAD in Nov/Dec and just looked at my confirmation email again.
I do not have the info in red box that #8 posted. Instead I have the same as poster #11 has:

Bag information For information regarding American Airlines checked baggage policies, please visit: Bag and optional fees Bag fees apply at each Check-in location. Additional allowances and/or discounts may apply. Bag and optional fees If your flight is operated by a partner airline, see the other airlines website for carry-on and checked bag policies.
Time to call AA and get it sorted.
cesco.g, Spiff, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 10:54 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The joys of dealing with AA Guess I'll just see what happens. Since I won't actually have checked bags I'm not too worried. It's just if QR considers my carry on too heavy and forces me to check it, will it be a problem

Old Jun 19, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Delta141
Dave, thank you for your post. I do agree that AA likely originated the issue. I am not quite sure how you come up with the 'complaints' section of your post. I personally prefer when staff is interested in helping with solving problems. I do realize that not everyone shares the same values and that's OK. I wish to alert others to this issue and encourage checking baggage allowances on award tickets, even in first class. That was the lesson for me.
But QR check in staff offered to help you solve the problem. You purchased a ticket with zero baggage allowance and they offered a solution involving paying for checked baggage at the airport.

Repeatedly asking check in staff to produce documentation that they probably don't have acess to isn't going to make you any friends.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
But QR check in staff offered to help you solve the problem. You purchased a ticket with zero baggage allowance and they offered a solution involving paying for checked baggage at the airport.

Repeatedly asking check in staff to produce documentation that they probably don't have acess to isn't going to make you any friends.
Is it really considered normal to be charged $1500+ for checked bags? I dont understand that. Is this a cargo rate or something?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Agent69, thank you for sharing your perspective of what constitutes help. I certainly did NOT purchase a first class ticket that had no baggage allowance. Perhaps you know more than I do about my intent and specifics of travel?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:43 pm

I remember having this issue on an AA award for travel on EY. It was a real pain to get it reissued - a number of agents didn't even understand what the issue was.

Make sure you always check the confirmation and sort it out well in advance.
Happy, hurnik and Speedbird84 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:45 pm

Agent69, thank you for sharing your perspective of what constitutes help. I certainly did NOT purchase a first class ticket that had no baggage allowance. Perhaps you know more than I do about my intent and specifics of travel?
So if it wasn't nil, then what was the baggage allowance stated in the ticket you purchased from AA?
Happy, nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:45 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Come on, common sense has to come into play at some point. Have you ever seen a first class ticket with zero baggage allowance? Obviously there was a mistake somewhere. And while it might not have been on QR's end, I wouldn't say that the check in staff offered to help solve the problem at all. Unless you call charging $1500 to check in luggage on an F ticket "solving the problem."
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by S.R
Come on, common sense has to come into play at some point. Have you ever seen a first class ticket with zero baggage allowance? Obviously there was a mistake somewhere. And while it might not have been on QR's end, I wouldn't say that the check in staff offered to help solve the problem at all. Unless you call charging $1500 to check in luggage on an F ticket "solving the problem."
Service quality aside, QR is notoriously strict with baggage allowance (and indeed any and all types of rules) with severe consequences for staff who fail to apply rules correctly, so I don't think it's all that surprising that the check-in agents would not go out of their way to solve the issue.
seawolf, formeraa, Happy and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
You purchased a ticket with zero baggage allowance and they offered a solution involving paying for checked baggage at the airport.
Please.

Ridiculous.

$1500 to check luggage is not a solution.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

So if it wasn't nil, then what was the baggage allowance stated in the ticket you purchased from AA?
I was hopeful that this discussion here would provide others with some advanced warning to help avoid situations like mine. Perhaps, I was too optimistic...
Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Please.

Ridiculous.

$1500 to check luggage is not a solution.
I agree that having a ticket in F without baggage allowance is crazy, but it appears to be possible given the comments earlier in this thread. However, ranting and raving at check in staff isn't going to solve the problem. Most experienced travellers carry copies of their ticket information with them, which would have made it easy to prove to check in staff what your entitlement was. As I see it there were 4 options:
  1. don't travel
  2. travel without bags
  3. pay the baggage surcharge (despite what you say it was an option, although not particularly appealing)
  4. contact the ticketing airline and get them to speak to the carrier, to correct any error there was in issuing the original ticket

It appears that the problem was caused by AA, and the OP was unfortunate not to spot it. However, that's not an excuse to try to implement a boycott of QR, who were probably just following their rules
Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Originally Posted by rrgg
Is it really considered normal to be charged $1500+ for checked bags? I don’t understand that. Is this a cargo rate or something?
No, it’s way above cargo rate. This is excess luggage rate, which has been a thing since forever. And it’s always been horrendously expensive.

If the systems says it’s a no-bag ticket, it doesn’t matter if you’re flying cattle or class - no bag means no bag. Check-in staff, particularly those catering to the ME carriers, are not going to bend or break any rules to save your skin, as it will cost them theirs.
seawolf, Happy, LETTERBOY and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Jun 20, 2023 at 2:03 am Reason: There’s no place on FlyerTalk for rudeneess
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
Thank you for OP. I will stay away from Qatar for both cash or award tickets
It is not Qatar's problem. It is AA's problem and it has been for many years on this bag allowance problem.

IMO Qatar is probably the best airline in the OneWorld universe. In fact in our household the only saving grace of AA miles is the ability to redeem QR flights. Of course you without any experience with QR would not know why there is an ongoing dedicated thread on How to Redeem Qatar flights in the AA forum literally for YEARS.

Now with QR using BA's Avios system and the 2 programs are freely transferred at 1 to 1, plus AS miles can also book QR award, it makes life much easier when one want / need to book an award to fly QR, even though AA might still have the least cost but not a big difference. Plus QR has more availability to its own members, naturally.

Dave, thank you for your post. I do agree that AA likely originated the issue. I am not quite sure how you come up with the 'complaints' section of your post. I personally prefer when staff is interested in helping with solving problems. I do realize that not everyone shares the same values and that's OK. I wish to alert others to this issue and encourage checking baggage allowances on award tickets, even in first class. That was the lesson for me.
The outstation staff can not help you because they have NO POWER to rewrite your ticket for the baggage allowance. They can only act as what the ticket said. They could be super nice to talk to you but they still would not be able to resolve the issue for you. That is the essence of Dave's post is all about.
seawolf, aktchi, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Jun 20, 2023 at 2:05 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rrgg
Is it really considered normal to be charged $1500+ for checked bags? I don’t understand that. Is this a cargo rate or something?
Yes. When travelling on a weight based allowance the price is per kilogramme. As per https://www.qatarairways.com/en/baggage/excess.html the rate is $40 per kilogramme for South East Asia to Europe. $40 x 39kg = $1560
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 19, 2023 at 2:58 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.