Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / VIP Expiring 2023 giveaway thread (NO ASK; terms & conditions)

Old Jun 8, 2023, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

AAdvantage members on FT with no opportunity or plans to use expiring SWU) often gift them to other FlyerTalk members. This traditionally has begun in September, but with new interim expiry dates the thread is current now.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily deleted (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."
  • Asking for SWU here is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.
  • To comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airlines instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.
  • Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.
  • Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).
  • Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty or French taxe de solidarit sur les billets d'avion).
  • This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage terms and conditions.)
  • If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. FT members have been sanctioned by AA in the past for these kinds of actions. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.
For recent obsolete posts, 2022 thread has been archived here. (link).

Thanks everyone!
~AAdvantage forum Moderator team

Using expiring SWU beyond their expiration date.
It has been reported as possible here that some may be able to use an SWU beyond its programmed expiration date:

Those few very high value flyers with high Eagle (Helix score) ratings may receive extensions for unused SWU, but that is not an option for most AAdvantage members. Requests to do so will be met with a firm no from AA.

The system will, however, pull the SWU with the earliest expiration date. At least it has recently, and no reports on this being fixed have been reported. There are certain conditions that must be met for this to occur:

The AAdvantage member must have requalified as Concierge Key or Executive Platinum for the 2020 status year, and have SWU expiring 31 Jan 2021 in their account.

The SWU pull by the system must be prior to the SWU expiration date, even if the flight is past it - e.g. sometimes a SWU will pull long before the formal upgrade window, or if you can confirm a flight occurring 1 Feb or later with an SWU upgrade prior to 31 January the system is programmed to pull your SWU with the earliest expiration date.

You cant call and request this, it occurs naturally because (at least recently) the system is programmed that way. An agent will merely tell you this cant be done (potentially, unless youve got Eagles galore.

You cant upgrade using miles and copay, then switch to a SWU.

CAVEAT: Its always possible the system has been altered to end this possibility, but it was extant early 2020.
NOTE: 2022 thread has been archived here.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!

Mods, please relocate if appropriate.

I have an SWU I cannot use. It must be confirmed by June 15.

If interested, please PM me with relevant details (flight number, PNR if you have already booked, anything else relevant).
D3Kingg and js1993 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:51 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Originally Posted by redtop43

If interested, please PM me with relevant details (flight number, PNR if you have already booked, anything else relevant).
I have been trying to gift one that expires June 20. I have done so before through Coupon Connection but they no longer allow any American Airlines associated giveaways or barters. I haven't been able to contact two award bookers that have helped me in the past and to whom I feel indebted. I hope someone can give an informed opinion of legality (per AA's rules) of offering these free, no strings.
js1993 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skipaway
I have been trying to gift one that expires June 20. I have done so before through Coupon Connection but they no longer allow any American Airlines associated giveaways or barters. I haven't been able to contact two award bookers that have helped me in the past and to whom I feel indebted. I hope someone can give an informed opinion of legality (per AA's rules) of offering these free, no strings.
Systemwide Upgrades

Expand the Systemwide upgrades Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the page.

/
  • Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades.

James
skipaway and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Systemwide Upgrades

Expand the Systemwide upgrades Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the page.

/
  • Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades.

James
This.

To summarize, you are free to give your SWUs to anyone as long as it's not sold, advertised for sale or bartered for something.

I've used mine for friends, family etc. With no issues. Others here with extras have gifted them to strangers. All allowed and no one has reported issues.
skipaway and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
There was a thread for this last year:

SWU / VIP Expiring 2022 giveaway thread (NO ASK; terms & conditions)

Perhaps the mods will turn this one into the 2023 version.
skipaway likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43

Sadly my MIA-AMS trip is on the 16th

Hopefully your generosity finds a deserving & appreciative home!
Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 123steve

If there is space that is open and can be confirmed, you can travel after the expiration date.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Originally Posted by 123steve

check to see if you can confirm space. Once confirmed by deadline, you should be able to use it even if actual flight is later.
Antarius and 123steve like this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
I have LAX SYD July 2nd and it looks empty in J .
Old Jun 8, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by D3Kingg
99 percent of the time there's never any open space for SWU for this flight until a few days before if lucky, usually day of... even if J looks empty.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D3Kingg
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
99 percent of the time there's never any open space for SWU for this flight until a few days before if lucky, usually day of... even if J looks empty.
Yup, AA73 is C0.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 2:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

I re-titled the thread and added the Wikipost that has been used for many years to the top of this thread.

To clarify:
* This thread is a place where FT'ers can offer an SWU (or multiple) to others
* The poster should specify any terms in their post (eg. prefer long-term FT'ers, space that can be immediately confirmed, long-distance flights, etc.)
* The SWU must be gifted; there can be nothing asked for in return.
* If you are interested in a post, send a PM to the poster.
* DO NOT POST HERE ASKING FOR SWUs.
* Keep this thread focused on those donating SWUs. Chatter about seats available, how to use SWUs, etc. should go in the appropriate thread.

Any posts that violate these rules, or those in the Wikipost (or overall FT rules) will be deleted, and posters may receive FT discipline.

If you have questions, please ask a moderator prior to posting.

/moderator
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA
Two Expiring SWUs on AA to give away ASAP

Hi,
I have two expiring systemwide upgrades on American. Have to redeem by tomorrow 8/25. No strings attached happy to give to anyone a) flying long haul with a domestic departure (not going to pay taxes for someone looking to use to come back to the US) and b) that knows there is confirmed availability on their flight (either by calling AA or checking ExpertFlyer). Flight can be for a date in the future but has to be space available now and if you cancel you lose them.

Let me know your situation and happy to call and get you upgraded before I lose these!
f4free, aktchi, pandaperth and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Nice offer, hope someone takes you up on it.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:53 am

Mine is no longer available.
golfer20 and js1993 like this.

Last edited by cls06j; Aug 25, 2023 at 7:34 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.